Transcoding live tv always stops after ~20 minutes

FliegenderMaulwurf

What is the source of this TV?  Is this a network tuner or IPTV?  If IPTV have you extensively tested playing this on the Shield outside of Emby to make sure this isn't an IPTV provider issue?

FliegenderMaulwurf

It's a livestream from an enigma2 set top box on my local network. The stream will play for hours, this isn't the problem. Also Emby server for windows will transcode the stream for hours without any problems and with ffmpeg only using 150-160 MB of RAM.

I've attached logs from the shield emby server and from a windows emby server where everything works fine. Both servers transcoded the same stream at the same time and I used chrome as client. Maybe that helps.

windows-ffmpeg-transcode-0053346b-ec5c-4973-bb8a-57d820745e02_1.txt windows-embyserver.txt android-embyserver.txt android-ffmpeg-transcode-591a3f63-4ff8-401f-bc94-59b1bdccf387_1.txt

• 4 weeks later...

speechles already showed the source of the problem.  Now the question is why?

Likely: Emby is using more and more memory until it get's shut down during the transcode.

Edited by cayars

@FliegenderMaulwurf - There's no generally known memory leak with hw acceleration on the Shield.

1. When you do H.264-to-H.264 transcoding with files from other sources (not tv recordings)  - do you see the same problem?
  2. Could you please go to "Transcoding" settings, choose "Advanced" and deselect the H.264 hw decoder (but leave the encoder enabled)
    Does the problem still occur?

Thanks

FliegenderMaulwurf
On 10/28/2020 at 12:22 AM, softworkz said:

@FliegenderMaulwurf - There's no generally known memory leak with hw acceleration on the Shield.

1. When you do H.264-to-H.264 transcoding with files from other sources (not tv recordings)  - do you see the same problem?
  2. Could you please go to "Transcoding" settings, choose "Advanced" and deselect the H.264 hw decoder (but leave the encoder enabled)
    Does the problem still occur?

Thanks

1) Haven't tested this before, but yes, I see the same problem when transcoding files from other sources.

2) That seems to fix the problem, but the live tv stream will pause every 3 seconds for 1 second. Guess the shield is too slow without the hw decoder.

On 11/2/2020 at 7:48 AM, FliegenderMaulwurf said:

1) Haven't tested this before, but yes, I see the same problem when transcoding files from other sources.

2) That seems to fix the problem, but the live tv stream will pause every 3 seconds for 1 second. Guess the shield is too slow without the hw decoder.

Can you attach the ffmpeg log? we can confirm that theory. Thanks.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:48 PM, FliegenderMaulwurf said:

Thanks for the log. You are probably right: H264 decoding plus deinterlacing plus scaling is probably too much to do in software.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:48 PM, FliegenderMaulwurf said:

Could you (privately) provide a test video that allows us to reproduce the issue (ffmpeg memory raising and eventually getting terminated)?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
FliegenderMaulwurf

sorry for the late reply. i've done some testing and the issue seems to be solved.

had streams running for several hours without any problems. thanks.

• Like 1