Trailers not working properly anymore

Martum

Hello,
the trailers aren't working properly anymore since the last update.
It always plays the trailer in SD. Also, some trailers were unwatchable because of stuttering and always pausing (with a big grey/black play button appearing on screen). It's impossible to change the quality. I know this sounds like a bandwidth problem but the TV is connected via ethernet and playing the same trailer on the YouTube app is working flawlessly in high quality up to 4k.
It also looks like it's using some kind of interface suited for mobile devices. There are buttons on-screen you can simply not select with the remote like "watch later" or "share" in the top right and when pausing there is even an X to close the "more videos bar" at the bottom.
I also prefer a seamless integration but currently, it makes the trailer feature not a fun one on my Android TV.
I've sent a report from within the app, I hope that will help to narrow down the problem.

Hi.  What device is this and what version of Android?

We are embedding a YouTube player in the app now and, on all devices I tested, this is pretty seamless.  Perhaps on older devices or Android it isn't as so... 

We don't really have a choice on the quality.

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What device is this and what version of Android?

We are embedding a YouTube player in the app now and, on all devices I tested, this is pretty seamless.  Perhaps on older devices or Android it isn't as so... 

We don't really have a choice on the quality.

I am using a Sony KD--XD9305 with Android TV Version 7, sadly no updates available. It was working without problems before with the native YouTube app

I just tested two trailers again, the first one took 24 secs to start und again in SD

The second trailer took 10 secs to load, which is okay but the trailer was again in SD

Okay, it must have something to do with the firmware on that older TV.  I haven't seen the interface issues you describe on any other devices.  I've tested everything back to the original Fire Stick but not a TV that old.

Perhaps it is related to the YouTube app on the TV.  Is there an update for that?

On 18/08/2020 at 14:49, ebr said:

Okay, it must have something to do with the firmware on that older TV.  I haven't seen the interface issues you describe on any other devices.  I've tested everything back to the original Fire Stick but not a TV that old.

Perhaps it is related to the YouTube app on the TV.  Is there an update for that?

Sorry, I couldn't get back to this earlier.

Youtube is up to date. It's version 2.10.17 from 5th June 2020. Like mentioned previously I can watch 4k content on the Youtube app without problems and trailers were working too when they were still running in the native Youtube app.

This big play button appears often, I guess it's buffering then.

IMG_20200824_120219.thumb.jpg.7b258f6110c660dfeb4224fe205337a0.jpg

And this picture shows the interface I've mentioned:

IMG_20200824_120239.thumb.jpg.fa554aef43dbe3fa28cbed54c7993df8.jpg

The UI elements look like they are meant for a desktop or mobile device, you can't select them. Also, most of the buttons of the remote aren't working, only the "Back" and "OK" button seem to work. I always try to stop the trailer using the "Stop" button but it doesn't work, same for the "Play" and "Pause" buttons. The video quality was okay this time but it was buffering and pausing a lot. Playing the same trailer on the native Youtube app works without any problems at all so It's not that my network or TV can't handle it.
Everything just seems like it's not meant to be for a TV.
I know it's not the newest TV but it's not that old, that it can't even handle HD streams. I watch Netflix 4k HDR on this TV, Amazon Prime and YouTube too.

Hi.  That indicates it is playing the HD trailer but we are just playing whatever exact content the server has provided us - this is the same content that would have been fed to the native app.

As for the UI elements, this is a part of the YouTube UI and we don't really have much control over it.  You are correct that it is not really designed for a TV but we feel this trade-off is worth not having to completely exit our app and leave you sitting in the YT app (where you have to press back about six times to get out).

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, princeshawn420 said:

this still doesnt work 

Hi.  Exactly what doesn't work?

princeshawn420
23 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Exactly what doesn't work?

Trailers on Android TV, i have 3 of them and none work and one is on a differnt isp.... i guess im just sore because i have to use plex on them the trailers are something i would be lost with out i do have a premier on the server the only thing left i could think of if i need to buy the app also but it said i didnt i was in my limits 

49 minutes ago, princeshawn420 said:

Trailers on Android TV, i have 3 of them and none work and one is on a differnt isp.... i guess im just sore because i have to use plex on them the trailers are something i would be lost with out i do have a premier on the server the only thing left i could think of if i need to buy the app also but it said i didnt i was in my limits 

Hi there, do the trailers play in the emby web app?

princeshawn420
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, do the trailers play in the emby web app?

works on everything but android tv.. i sent emby the logs 

Testing this.

I too am having trouble with trailers on ATV as well.  A lot of trailers just do the infinite spin and won't play.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper

Opposite side of the spectrum here, no issues playing trailers. Every now and then it takes few seconds (too long) to start, but in general all playable. Beta 2.0.31.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, princeshawn420 said:

i sent emby the logs 

Hi.  Can you please provide this information?  Thanks.

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

princeshawn420
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you please provide this information?  Thanks.

Wes is the emby user name

ip address 97.87.195.90 (im static)

trailers didnt work i played them over and over let it crash and sent the logs 

and that was  now a full 24 hours ago 

CBers

There are now 3 separate threads about trailers not working with the ATV app, including this one. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, princeshawn420 said:

Wes is the emby user name

ip address 97.87.195.90 (im static)

trailers didnt work i played them over and over let it crash and sent the logs 

and that was  now a full 24 hours ago 

What time did you send the log?

18 hours ago, CBers said:

There are now 3 separate threads about trailers not working with the ATV app, including this one. 

It is quite possible an update the the YT app is causing an issue.

You folks having trouble, have you disabled Google Play Services to get rid of ads?

CBers
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

You folks having trouble, have you disabled Google Play Services to get rid of ads?

I haven't.

1 hour ago, ebr said:

It is quite possible an update the the YT app is causing an issue.

Nope running normal, with the add up top on the Shield home screen.

Edited by cayars

FrostByte

YT trailers still work in Emby for Android and the web client. 

I think it's just ATV that isn't working.  In ATV I get a picture and the spinning circle of death.

• Like 1