can't record with Hauppauge Colossus 2

sward

Hello - I have two capture devices, a Silicondust HDHomerun Prime and a Hauppauge Colossus 2 HDMI capture card. I'm able to record just fine with the HDHomerun Prime, however I'm unable to record anything with the Colossus 2, even though I can see it using the IR blaster to change the channel on my STB. Any ideas?

Hello sward,

How do you have the Colossus 2 capture board setup in Emby?

I have it setup as a TV source (see screenshot below). Not a lot of options there, so not sure what you're asking.

image.thumb.png.b144ef929e8e29688b1d5fd49202445f.png

SHSPVR

You have setup all channel under WinTV with HD-PVR 2 or Colossus 2 then you should be able map the channel under EMBY from the guide 

All channels are indeed setup in WinTV 10 for my Colossus 2, and I am able to schedule recordings in Emby, which creates the folders and metadata for said recordings, but is unable to record a ts file for some reason.

SHSPVR

What ver of WinTV do you have install ?.

Can you do this shut both emby and wintv

You need open Services App by typing services in windows search, scroll down you need fine the both Hauppauge services and right click on them and stop them

Go to C:\Users\Public\WinTV\ look for logs folder clear all files

Go to C:\Users\shspv\AppData\Roaming\Emby look for logs folder clear all files

Restart system make sure both the Hauppauge services are running, now try again in emby soon as it fail wait a min then stop everything from running grab the log by zip each set from above folder and post them here may that help pin point the problem.

If want a better way to get it to work and be more reliable then WinTV but it a bit more work getting setup this how I perf it so here how setup M3U Tuner if need analog sample here mine for you to review note you do not need Schedules Direct for NextPVR you do need manual add each of the channel you want and get IR Blaster work bear mind you only be able used only one HD-PVR, HD-PVR 2, Colossus or Colossus 2 with it build-in IR Blaster unless you get USB-UIRT then can add the Hauppauge Rocket and HD-PVR 60 in to mix and can have up to three box's, Note I don't know if the HD-PVR Pro 60 will work as it gear more toward gamers.

The other option is Emby NextPVR plug-in but you need have Schedules Direct for NextPVR for that to work in NextPVR.

Note: I have only used ver 4 not ver 5 

Cable-Tuner.txt

I am running WinTV v10.0.38205. As a standalone application, WinTV works fine and I'm even able to use its extremely basic scheduling feature. However the integration with Emby isn't happening for me. Requested log files are attached. To narrow down relevant information, please note I was trying to record "Walk the Line," and again for the record the IR blaster successfully changes the channel, and Emby prepares the folder and metadata files, but no ts file is generated. 

Emby logs.zip WinTV_logs.zip

SHSPVR

I think the problem is because you change the default WinTV LiveTV buffer and Rec path folder and don't used the same path in Emby but you can tell Emby them put them on D:\ drive if that where you want them.

Bear in mind you have check those temp folder as sometime they don't clear them self out and will fill your harddrive.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hauppauge/manuals/wintv_8_help_us.pdf see page 8 on reset back and reboot see that helps

Edited by SHSPVR
  • Thanks 1

I increased the LiveTV buffer from zero to 1 minute, and that seems to have fixed the problem! I was keeping the buffer at zero b/c I don't pause live tv, and b/c I was concerned about filling up my hard-drive as you pointed out. Not sure why having a non-zero buffer suddenly enables recording, but at least it's working now. Thanks for the help! 

Edited by sward

SHSPVR
13 minutes ago, sward said:

I increased the LiveTV buffer from zero to 1 minute, and that seems to have fixed the problem! I was keeping the buffer at zero b/c I don't pause live tv, and b/c I was concerned about filling up my hard-drive as you pointed out. Not sure why having a non-zero buffer suddenly enables buffering, but at least it's working now. Thanks for the help! 

Yup that the other option you must keep on as default so Emby can read buffers. Don't worry I'm Emby Team has plan to address this in the near future that so we don't have used 3rdparty software I'm sure it will be more direct device drive integrated solution like other DVR and I hope with better channel management.

• Like 1

Now that I'm able to record with the Hauppauge, the next issue I'm running up against is that when I schedule a recording I don't know which tuner it will use, the Hauppauge Colossus 2, or the HDHomeRun. I tried to filter the channels somewhat (by only selecting certain channels in WinTV for the Hauppauge and doing the same with the HDHomeRun - and making sure that these channels are mutually exclusive), but it doesn't seem to work; something that was supposed to record on the HDHomeRun was recorded instead on the Colossus, which is a problem. Anyway to address this?

SHSPVR

Just remove the any duplicate local channel from WinTV channel list restart your system

Edited by SHSPVR

I figured this out. I had selected "Restrict to channels marked as favorite" which doesn't work with the cetonproxy driver, so no channels were populating the EPG for the ceton/HDHomeRun tuner, and therefore all recordings were going to the Colossus.

• Like 2

SHSPVR

Then you ref to Show is self ? that are on other channel need to setup the Colossus to only record from Channel you don't have in HDHomeRun Prime and separate the Guides see the circle there click on which give you next page to un-separate them

Emby Series Rec ording doesn't have fully advance feature for scheduling vs something like SageTV where can specify XYZ Channel or Tuner Priority

Untitled.jpg

Edited by SHSPVR

SHSPVR
9 minutes ago, sward said:

I figured this out. I had selected "Restrict to channels marked as favorite" which doesn't work with the cetonproxy driver, so no channels were populating the EPG for the ceton/HDHomeRun tuner, and therefore all recordings were going to the Colossus.

That do it to

20 hours ago, sward said:

Thanks for the feedback !

I guess the next issue is why Emby is ignoring what channels I have selected in WinTV. Since I have two tuners (a Colussus 2, and a SiliconDust/Cetonproxy), it would be great if I could filter Colossus 2 channels via WinTV, else I get two rows for every channel in the EPG. The good news is that for the SiliconDust/Cetonproxy, it only populates the EPG with channels that I have selected in the cetonproxy app. Would be nice if I could do the same with Colossus/WinTV channels.

We are working on all new Hauppauge support that in the near future will no longer have any dependency on WinTV, so stay tuned. That means you'll handle everything inside Emby Server, including selecting what channels you want.

• Like 1