Multiple Tuners - Mulitiple EPGs

WeidnerJ

WeidnerJ

I have heard before that in future release of Emby that there will be support for multiple EPGs for those with multiple tuners.   I have tuners with overlapping channel names and just short of using Xsteve unable to use both of them on the same Emby Server without overlapping channels (resulting those channels missing within the guide).

Any idea how long before this will be considered?

I did a quick look through the forum and didn't see this subject yet, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate. 

Do you really need multiple guides or would grouping solve this issue for you?

Trying to separate guides per tuner would get very complex very quickly as usually tuners are treated as resources for a single service of "Live TV".

WeidnerJ
18 minutes ago, ebr said:

Do you really need multiple guides or would grouping solve this issue for you?

Trying to separate guides per tuner would get very complex very quickly as usually tuners are treated as resources for a single service of "Live TV".

With my configuration, I would need multiple guides.  Grouping wouldn't work.  I have channels that are duplicate between tuners.  Or in a situation where you have both say cable and OTA and need the guide for both?

Anyway to treat each tuner service of "Live TV" as a resource?  

Not to bring up the competitor (Plex) but there is a bug where I was able to create several Live TV resources with their own EPG by removing all tuners and then starting the wizard in a separate window (or tab) for each tuner I have and once it start each wizard concurrently, it was independent of the others running and was able to get several separate tuners with their own EPG - with the acknowledgement that they were not named in the process, each one was "Live TV & DVR" on the menu.  So since I have two tuners, I have two Live TV & DVR and unable to rename them. 

You mean the channels have duplicate IDs but aren't actually the same?  Because I don't understand why you'd care which tuner if they are actually the same channel.

WeidnerJ
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

You mean the channels have duplicate IDs but aren't actually the same?  Because I don't understand why you'd care which tuner if they are actually the same channel.

I have two tuners that have the same channel IDs but different channels (in different markets).  If I had an EPG for each tuner that wouldn't matter.

For example:

Tuner 1:

4.1 Channel XXX.1

4.2 Channel XXX.2

4.3 Channel XXX.3

4.4 Channel XXX.4

4.5 Channel XXX.5

Tuner 2:

4.1 Channel YYY.1

4.2 Channel YYY.2

4.3 Channel YYY.3

4.4 Channel YYY.4

Those are actually channel numbers as opposed to IDs.  I think there is probably a better way to deal with this other than trying to have separate guides which, again, I think would become so complex from a setup and usability standpoint that it just wouldn't work well.

@softworkz any insight...?

WeidnerJ
21 minutes ago, ebr said:

Those are actually channel numbers as opposed to IDs.  I think there is probably a better way to deal with this other than trying to have separate guides which, again, I think would become so complex from a setup and usability standpoint that it just wouldn't work well.

@softworkz any insight...?

Thank you.

Today when I use different EPGs, It is like:

4.1 Channel YYY.1

4.2 Channel YYY.2

4.3 Channel YYY.3

4.4 Channel YYY.4

4.5 Channel XXX.5

Where

4.1 Channel XXX.1

4.2 Channel XXX.2

4.3 Channel XXX.3

4.4 Channel XXX.4

don't show up in the Emby guide.  Hopefully that explains it better.

Hi @WeidnerJ

Emby already supports multiple EPGs.  You can add as many as you need.

As an example I've got HDHomeRun Prime tuners on Comcast Cable in the Phila/South Jersey area. <- 1st guide

I have OTA with a 4 bay antenna pointing toward Phila and one guide for this - 2nd guide

I have OTA with a 4 bay antenna pointed at Atlantic City which picks up that market and a few towers closer to me - Guide 3 & 4 for these tuners

I have OTA with a 8 bay antenna pointed off a bit from Baltimore MD and also pick up Salisbury MD - Guide 5 & 6 for these.

I have IPTV which I've restricted to USA channels mainly for sports and premium channels and use two guides for these (Dish and Direct TV) - Guide 7 & 8

When ever you add a new guide you can allow it to be used for all tuners or only specific tuners.

So in your case you would have roughly what my first two are.  Each it's own market and each with it's own guide.

Have you tried this?

Carlo

PS With the above setup I get "local" sports for a few markets which is why I do it.

If you have multiple CBS, ABC stations you can go into the metadata editor for that channel and change the title for example CBS P, CBS, B, CBS A, CBS S or similar to differentiate your markets.  If you have multiple stations with the same channel number such as 3.1 they'll both be shown in Emby and it's not a problem.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

WeidnerJ
6 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi @WeidnerJ

Emby already supports multiple EPGs.  You can add as many as you need.

As an example I've got HDHomeRun Prime tuners on Comcast Cable in the Phila/South Jersey area. <- 1st guide

I have OTA with a 4 bay antenna pointing toward Phila and one guide for this - 2nd guide

I have OTA with a 4 bay antenna pointed at Atlantic City which picks up that market and a few towers closer to me - Guide 3 & 4 for these tuners

I have OTA with a 8 bay antenna pointed off a bit from Baltimore MD and also pick up Salisbury MD - Guide 5 & 6 for these.

I have IPTV which I've restricted to USA channels mainly for sports and premium channels and use two guides for these (Dish and Direct TV) - Guide 7 & 8

When ever you add a new guide you can allow it to be used for all tuners or only specific tuners.

So in your case you would have roughly what my first two are.  Each it's own market and each with it's own guide.

Have you tried this?

Carlo

PS With the above setup I get "local" sports for a few markets which is why I do it.

If you have multiple CBS, ABC stations you can go into the metadata editor for that channel and change the title for example CBS P, CBS, B, CBS A, CBS S or similar to differentiate your markets.  If you have multiple stations with the same channel number such as 3.1 they'll both be shown in Emby and it's not a problem.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Correct, and I have tried multiple EPGs in the past, but the problem is if in my case.  For example I have in one market with a channel 4.1 (and corresponding EPG) on on tuner 1, and in a different market with another channel 4.1 (and corresponding EPG) on tuner 2 and they are not the same actual channel, and in the end Emby  only displays one channel 4.1.

Or what else happens is that I will get channels 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 on one tuner (only 4 sub channels on "4.x"), and on the second tuner will only get channel 4.5 (5 sub channels on "4.x").

Hopefully that explains it a better.

I understand now but I believe the proper solution is not to have multiple guides but, rather, just have the ability to differentiate between the channels and show them both.

I pinged @softworkz to make sure he is aware of this situation.

@WeidnerJ what kind of tuners are you using? If HDHomeRun I can help you solve this.

@ebr "Next Gen" should handle this already.

WeidnerJ
14 minutes ago, cayars said:

@WeidnerJ what kind of tuners are you using? If HDHomeRun I can help you solve this.

@ebr "Next Gen" should handle this already.

All 3 of my tuners are HD Homeruns, with that being said Xsteve isn't an option for me since I am using Synology NAS for my Emby host.

OK perfect.  The idea is to create an M3U file for the tuner(s) that you don't want stacked. 

You can create the M3U file manually or can use a python script like this:

# Below is an example of how to execute this script:
# python /path/to/script/m3u.py > /path/to/playlist.m3u
# Change the ip address below 192.168.1.5 to match your HDHomerun ip address

import requests
import json
from pprint import pprint

# * hdhr-ip: ip address of your hdhomerun connect prime or expand unit

config = {
    'hdhr-ip'   : '192.168.1.5',
    'hd'        : '"HDHomerun"'
}

hdhr_url        = "http://{0}/lineup.json?show=unprotected".format(config['hdhr-ip'])
response_obj    = requests.get(hdhr_url)
listings_res    = response_obj.text

print "#EXTM3U"
listings = json.loads(listings_res)
for l in listings:
    channel = l['GuideNumber']
    name    = l['GuideName']
    name    = name.encode('utf8')

print "#EXTINF:-1 group-title={0},{1}".format(config['hd'],channel)
    print "http://{0}:5004/auto/v{1}.ts".format(
            config['hdhr-ip'],
            channel,
    )

You can then edit the M3U file to change channel numbers where needed.

You then set this HDHomeRun up in Emby as an M3U tuner vs HDHomeRun.  You'll need to check/fix mappings for channels that you manually change.

You only need to create he M3U file one time and then don't need the script or python any more.  Only time it's needed is to create the initial M3U file.  If you get a new channel in your area after that it's usually easier to edit the M3U file and add/change it moving forward.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Carlo

WeidnerJ
7 hours ago, cayars said:

OK perfect.  The idea is to create an M3U file for the tuner(s) that you don't want stacked. 

You can create the M3U file manually or can use a python script like this:

# Below is an example of how to execute this script:
# python /path/to/script/m3u.py > /path/to/playlist.m3u
# Change the ip address below 192.168.1.5 to match your HDHomerun ip address

import requests
import json
from pprint import pprint

# * hdhr-ip: ip address of your hdhomerun connect prime or expand unit

config = {
    'hdhr-ip'   : '192.168.1.5',
    'hd'        : '"HDHomerun"'
}

hdhr_url        = "http://{0}/lineup.json?show=unprotected".format(config['hdhr-ip'])
response_obj    = requests.get(hdhr_url)
listings_res    = response_obj.text

print "#EXTM3U"
listings = json.loads(listings_res)
for l in listings:
    channel = l['GuideNumber']
    name    = l['GuideName']
    name    = name.encode('utf8')

print "#EXTINF:-1 group-title={0},{1}".format(config['hd'],channel)
    print "http://{0}:5004/auto/v{1}.ts".format(
            config['hdhr-ip'],
            channel,
    )

You can then edit the M3U file to change channel numbers where needed.

You then set this HDHomeRun up in Emby as an M3U tuner vs HDHomeRun.  You'll need to check/fix mappings for channels that you manually change.

You only need to create he M3U file one time and then don't need the script or python any more.  Only time it's needed is to create the initial M3U file.  If you get a new channel in your area after that it's usually easier to edit the M3U file and add/change it moving forward.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Carlo

I got an error trying to run this.   Installed Python on my windows box and created a .py file and ran it. 

Even if I am even able to create the M3U file and edit it, how will it sync up with the EPG?