Why hello there

DebianDog

DebianDog

Just wanted to say hello.  I wrote my first program on my VIC-20 when I was 12 and have been in IT since I was 25. My first real job loaded Debian on floppy(s) and named my dog Debian and it kind of stuck as my nickname when I put him down.

Fast-forward to 2009 and my wife wanted to move out to the country.  I said "well as long as they have internet.  IDK". I called Comast, and they assured me they had interwebs at my new address.  Close on the house.  Called for service. Nope.  Nothing. I could not even get DSL. So for 11 years I have been living with the grandfathered in "real" unlimited data plan from Verizon. I would have to root my phone to bypass the hotspot lockout but I would burn about 100 GB a month personally then another 20-30 on my works hotspot.  OH THE SADNESS!!! 

So last month I was looking again at satellite or something as a solution but the same issues still exist.  Lag is just terrible, you get inconsistent bandwidth and you have, silly small datacaps. Then I found  some guy on YouTube was like you need Nomad internet and some external antennas. Mmm OK I am desperate. Bam 25-35 Mbps a day 1000 GB per month cap till you are degraded.  I know to some of you this seems slow as F but if a good day was 1.5Mbps then you learn to appreciate things.  I don't want to sound like a baby or anything but I almost wept with joy when I saw the results of my first speed test 😭

Now that I had "real" internet I got a mesh WiFi network and was just SO PLEASED!  WiFi from the goat pen to the mailbox by the road. Now, since I had internet and WiFi time to set up a media server.  The only one I had heard of before this is that "other" popular one.  Ran it for a day or 2 It was just too busy and seemed to want to throw their content in front of my content. Started looking for other solutions.  Saw Emby recommended on Reddit.   I ran the other guy and Emby back to back a day at a time for a few days on my Windows box.  Decided on Emby then thought, "you know what I can do?  Get a NAS! So I don't have to tie up my gaming PC"

So I just got the new Emby Beta running on my 32 TB Synology 420+.  I see it does push the CPU at times but I have not played enough with it yet to know if I should have gone with more CPU.

I am sure I will have some stupid questions later. So anyway.  Hi 🐶

-- Debian Dog

My testing setup \/

20200804-IMG_0124.jpg

Edited by DebianDog