If I have Emby running on my Roku tv or iPhone, can I turn off the computer the server is running on?

mcluvin

mcluvin

Basically if I’m watching a show on Roku or my iPhone and turn the computer that the server is running on, will the videos still play (including the next episodes)?

Edited by mcluvin

pwhodges

Only what is already buffered or explicitly downloaded, I would assume, and even then I'm not sure how far the client can go without checking in with the server.

However, I'm not clear of the details in all circumstances; for instance, I don't know whether all streaming comes via the server, or whether there are circumstances in which the client takes data directly from network storage - but I'm pretty sure that even if that happens the server still has some control.  I can't imagine "next episode" working without it.

But note that my comments are those of an interested technically-minded outsider, and not authoritative!

Paul

• Thanks 1

Hi.  The short answer is no.  The system is designed as client/server with the apps talking to the server for a number of operations during use/playback.

• Thanks 1