Hauppauge USB Tuner Support?

samson1701
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

samson1701

Hello. I just discovered the Emby Server and wanted to try it out on my new Nvidia Shield Pro. So, I loaded it up, bought a Premiere subscription and set everything up. Only to find there was no support for my Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD USB Tuner on my Shield. My fault. I should’ve dug deeper and researched it more. I just wanted to know if there are any plans for providing Hauppauge tuner support on the Nvidia Shield (and other Android boxes) in the near future? I know I could go with HDHomeRun, but I prefer an hdmi connection to my TV in case my internet goes down. I could at least watch what I have recorded and some live TV.

This product does closed captioning for live TV and DVR which Plex does not. In my house (girlfriend has hearing problems), this is a must have feature.

Hi.  Its possible for the future but I have a question:

13 hours ago, samson1701 said:

I know I could go with HDHomeRun, but I prefer an hdmi connection to my TV in case my internet goes down

The HDHR should still work in this instance...  as long as your local network is up, the server would be able to get to it just fine.

samson1701
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Its possible for the future but I have a question:

The HDHR should still work in this instance...  as long as your local network is up, the server would be able to get to it just fine.

I didn’t know it could work like that. I thought if the internet was down, none of my WiFi connected devices would work. I’m new to this, btw. I’m trying to replace my TiVo. So, my knowledge pretty much ends with very basic WiFi setups.

Edited by samson1701

samson1701
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes support for this is planned for the future so stay tuned.

Thank you for the response. I’ll be looking for it.

• Solution

Hi,

You can try a test in your home.  Unplug your router from your ISP so you have no internet access.  Then you can test WIFI and ability to connect to your Emby server from devices and web browsers inside your home network.  You'll likely find they all still work just fine this way.

The HDHomeRun doesn't need internet access to function, only to check for firmware and things like this so it's ok being offline.  Last week I lost internet but was still able to watch TV from my OTA tuners.  My Cable tuners were down since my TV & Cable are both Comcast which wasn't functioning.

Hope that helps,

Carlo