M3U plays for a couple seconds and stops

Jrod696

Jrod696

I purchased an h264 encoder for IPTV and then created an m3u to post it into Emby, it works great in VLC but Emby pulls the video up and then it closes after about 2 seconds.

It appears to work in Emby when I open the it in a a browser sometimes, well once out of 10 tries otherwise it does the same thing, but if I try to open it on a Fire Stick that's when it starts having issues.

I also sent the logs to you from the Fire Stick in the Dev Options

An image of the box I purchased is attached it is in h264 mode and using AAC audio

a link to the device itself

https://www.exvist.com/products/h265-1080p-50fps-wifi-hdmi-video-encoder

*** Update - playing around with it I set it to record an episode on the dvr and it recorded it perfectly and in its entirety. If you play the TS file on the computer using a VLC or Media player it plays fine but it still has issues playing on the fire stick and eventually displays too many errors message on the screen ***

encoder.JPG

FireStickLogFFMpeg.txt BrowserLogFFMpeg.txt

Edited by Jrod696
switch to txt files

Jrod696

I was just messing around with the fire stick and downloaded the VLC app and then went into Emby and for live tv said use external player and it plays just fine, the audio is off by about half a second or just enough to be annoying

I would still rather use the player in Emby and not the external player if possible.

Edited by Jrod696

Hi Jrod696,

The ffmpeg log is full of errors that look like this:

15:28:20.928 [mpegts @ 000001e7612c06c0] PES packet size mismatch
15:28:20.928 [aac @ 000001e761d5aac0] Input buffer exhausted before END element found
15:28:20.928 Error while decoding stream #0:1: Invalid data found when processing input

At first glance it would appear the encoder is not doing a good job encoding to spec.  Do you have any ability to set parameters at the encode level?

Jrod696
16 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi Jrod696,

The ffmpeg log is full of errors that look like this:

15:28:20.928 [mpegts @ 000001e7612c06c0] PES packet size mismatch
15:28:20.928 [aac @ 000001e761d5aac0] Input buffer exhausted before END element found
15:28:20.928 Error while decoding stream #0:1: Invalid data found when processing input

At first glance it would appear the encoder is not doing a good job encoding to spec.  Do you have any ability to set parameters at the encode level?

Unfortunately the settings in the unit are extremely limited

You can choose

Codec Type: H264 or H265

GOP: 5 to 200

BItrate

and Framrate, it does have a CBR mode but it doesnt seem to work at all not even in VLC

There is a place to update the firmware but I cant seem to find any firmware for it, I found firmware for devices that look really close to it but I am not willing to brick it just yet.

Attached are all the settings for video in a screenshot and the manual if your bored,

settings.JPG

H.265_HDMI_Video_Encoder_Live_Broadcasting_Guide_ERV1.3.pdf

Edited by Jrod696

Jrod696
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

I would try resetting your server transcoding customisations back to default such as crf.

I did the ole 30/30/30 reset using the button on the back and set everything to factory defaults, CBR plays using VLC on my desktop and on Emby it popped up really fast but only for about 2 seconds and then it goes back to the guide.

Setting Screenshot and log.

settings2.JPG

CBRStream.txt

Jrod696
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

That screen in emby doesn't have a reset button.

I thought you mean the setting on the encoder, I am running Emby on Windows Server and the trans-code options are at default.

I was referencing the HDMI Encoder when I said I had it set to VBR, attached are my Emby settings

transcode settings.PNG

Jrod696
15 minutes ago, cayars said:

What choices do you have for Framerate?

it goes in multiples of 5 and i have tried 20 to 50 all the same result, on the Fire Stick it loads up and plays for 2 or 3 seconds and then just goes to the guide, in Emby Browser it basically does the same thing but sometimes locks up the browsers. However if I open up just Plain VLC Media player on my desktop and go to file and open the m3u it plays perfectly, Audio is in sync and the image is great.

Jrod696

I also want to add I do have 2, 4 Channel HDHomerun units hooked up to make 8 channels and they work flawlessly. The OTA is amazing.

Do you have a video card in your Server machine that could be used?

Let's try changing your H64 Encoding CRF back to 23.

Let's also try unselected (remove check mark) for Enable throttling.

Give that a test and upload the ffmpeg and server log after a test.

If you don't mind a couple of questions (feel free to PM me if needed) but is this a premium channel you're trying to use the encoder for?  If yes and you're in the USA try 29.97 framerate if available as a 2nd test.

8 minutes ago, Jrod696 said:

it goes in multiples of 5 and i have tried 20 to 50 all the same result, on the Fire Stick it loads up and plays for 2 or 3 seconds and then just goes to the guide, in Emby Browser it basically does the same thing but sometimes locks up the browsers. However if I open up just Plain VLC Media player on my desktop and go to file and open the m3u it plays perfectly, Audio is in sync and the image is great.

OK ignore then and leave at 30 fps.

Jrod696
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Do you have a video card in your Server machine that could be used?

Let's try changing your H64 Encoding CRF back to 23.

Let's also try unselected (remove check mark) for Enable throttling.

Give that a test and upload the ffmpeg and server log after a test.

If you don't mind a couple of questions (feel free to PM me if needed) but is this a premium channel you're trying to use the encoder for?  If yes and you're in the USA try 29.97 framerate if available as a 2nd test.

No its an actual server running a virtual machine so there aren't any input cards directly.

I changed it back to 23 and turned off throttling and got the same result as before plays for 2 or 3 seconds and straight back to the guide

Attached is that log.

FireStickLog2.txt

Edited by Jrod696
spellcheck

You're still getting offset errors which are going to be an issue.  What exactly are you trying to do with this encoder?  What's the source of the video?

Jrod696
8 minutes ago, cayars said:

You're still getting offset errors which are going to be an issue.  What exactly are you trying to do with this encoder?  What's the source of the video?

I have one channel on my pay cable company I watch but I do not have a DVR, instead I watch everything over the air using Emby and its DVR. My hope was to get an encoder leave the cable box on the 1 channel and then hook it to Emby, add it as an M3U source so it would be in the list with all my OTA Channels and be done. And I think still be legal since I am paying for the cable.

Any other option was to use an IPTV service with 10 bagillion channels that I dont need and definitely not legal.

I tried forever to get figure out a way to integrate a legal service like USTVNOW but that was waaay above my head and at the end of the day would have been a plugin I think which would not have helped me anyway.

The goal was to have everything in 1 guide, in one recordings folder, all in one place.

Edited by Jrod696

kanipek

What is this 1 channel you are trying to get? Is it possible there is DRM involved here?

• Like 1

This could possibly be a DRM issue since you're using HDMI input vs component (doesn't support DRM) with premium channels that likely do have DRM.   Any chance you could try using the HDMI out from your laptop or FireTV going into the encoder to see if you get different results that that footage streamed?

Jrod696

Not a DRM Issue I connected just a laptop not running anything but windows and 3 icons on the desktop. I ran the HDMI Out from the laptop to the IPTV Encoder and then tried to load the channel only this time it just spun in circles on the screen and eventually said giving up too many errors.

The log was far different this time though

I did try rebooting the device and got the same results

I also checked in VLC Media player on the desktop and it played just fine I could see the mirror of the Laptop

firesticklog3.txt

Edited by Jrod696

kanipek
4 minutes ago, Jrod696 said:

Not a DRM Issue I connected just a laptop not running anything but windows and 3 icons on the desktop. I ran the HDMI Out from the laptop to the IPTV Encoder and then tried to load the channel only this time it just spun in circles on the screen and eventually said giving up too many errors.

The log was far different this time though

I did try rebooting the device and got the same results

firesticklog3.txt 9.8 kB · 1 download

Is this a premium channel?

19:24:14.753 [h264 @ 000002a922adb5c0] decode_slice_header error
19:24:14.753 [h264 @ 000002a922adb5c0] no frame!
19:24:14.753 [h264 @ 000002a922adb5c0] non-existing PPS 0 referenced

It's not looking good at all.  Before sending it back or worse, try installing NextPVR and see if you can get it working with that.  If so you may be able to feed that into Emby or record from it.  It that too give you grief we're likely out of options.

Jrod696
1 minute ago, kanipek said:

Is this a premium channel?

Yes but as I stated, I just disconnected the cable hdmi completely and hooked up a laptop just displaying a desktop and it still had issues and that for would be DRM Free

kanipek
14 minutes ago, Jrod696 said:

Yes but as I stated, I just disconnected the cable hdmi completely and hooked up a laptop just displaying a desktop and it still had issues and that for would be DRM Free

Someone correct me here if I am wrong please. But I think this method you are trying - assuming you get the bugs worked out with emby playing the stream isn't going to give the desired result. Unless there is some DRM removal magic involved that I am unaware of - Emby does not now and probably not anytime soon handle DRM at all. Not trying to be Donnie Downer it's an interesting idea. If the input to the encoder was some non DRM type - composite or video/audio you might get the desired outcome.

Try playing a video stream on the laptop?

Edited by kanipek

Jrod696
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

19:24:14.753 [h264 @ 000002a922adb5c0] decode_slice_header error
19:24:14.753 [h264 @ 000002a922adb5c0] no frame!
19:24:14.753 [h264 @ 000002a922adb5c0] non-existing PPS 0 referenced

It's not looking good at all.  Before sending it back or worse, try installing NextPVR and see if you can get it working with that.  If so you may be able to feed that into Emby or record from it.  It that too give you grief we're likely out of options.

I figured I would set it to H265 mode thinking for sure it would attempts a transcode, it tried to direct play for about a minute and then errored out, the log essentially looked the same as before but it just said to try updating ffmpeg to the latest version

I feel like there are 2 things going on, first, I purchase not junk but a very low end encoder, and or 2, Emby player is missing a codec or ffmpeg is out of date.

I am not sure that I want to mess with NextPVR, my thought through this whole process was to keep everything in one place, if I add in NextPVR when I am keeping track of recording in 2 places which defeats the purpose of my end goal.

Jrod696
6 minutes ago, kanipek said:

Someone correct me here if I am wrong please. But I think this method you are trying - assuming you get the bugs worked out with emby playing the stream isn't going to give the desired result. Unless there is some DRM removal magic involved that I am unaware of - Emby does not now and probably not anytime soon handle DRM at all. Not trying to be Donnie Downer it's an interesting idea. If the input to the encoder was some non DRM type - composite or video/audio you might get the desired outcome.

Try playing a video stream on the laptop?

The laptop has the same issues playing video through the encoder as the cable box. So far it is not DRM related, not to say if I get it working in the future it wont be an issue but right now I dont think it is.

I also think this encoder probably does not have any DRM built into it at this point, they can really only be purchased on AliExpress or Wish.

just go to aliexpress and use the search "Encoder Iptvs Rtsp Rtmp"

The ISeevy ones look very close but have a lot more choices as far as settings go, I am half tempted to flash their firmware on this box.

Edited by Jrod696