M3U plays for a couple seconds and stops

Jrod696

I'm not so sure.  If it's Premium channel it likely is a DRM issue.

When you hooked up the encoder to the PC did you recycle it?  What was the output resolution on the PC set to?  Did you do a screen test?

Jrod696
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm not so sure.  If it's Premium channel it likely is a DRM issue.

When you hooked up the encoder to the PC did you recycle it?  What was the output resolution on the PC set to?  Did you do a screen test?

I set the laptop to 720 and 1080, i did power cycle the unit in between each resolution change as well as checked the settings on the box to see that it recognized them. I also checked the video test page that is built in to the box as well as pulled it up in VLC Media Player. All worked, only emby did not.

As did say in an earlier post, if i go to the firestick and install VLC and then on the firestick go to settings > live tv, and set it to use external player, it works with a minor audio lag. I am not sure if that is the external player or the transfer to the player or what is going on.

Might just be an incompatibility with Emby.  I'd give NextPVR a try setup only this this encoder.

If that works the likely can feed NextPVR into Emby!

If it works with Next PVR to play, that's all we need to know.  There is two ways to integrate it into Emby at that point.  One with the NextPVR plugin and second as an M3U link from NextPVR into Emby.  But you would still control everything through Emby, tune TV in Emby, setup DVR recordings in Emby.  But the first thing without worry of integration is just see if it works via NextPVR.

Jrod696
14 minutes ago, cayars said:

If it works with Next PVR to play, that's all we need to know.  There is two ways to integrate it into Emby at that point.  One with the NextPVR plugin and second as an M3U link from NextPVR into Emby.  But you would still control everything through Emby, tune TV in Emby, setup DVR recordings in Emby.  But the first thing without worry of integration is just see if it works via NextPVR.

I have installed NextPVR server and imported the m3u, it does find it and it does play on the desktop if I go to nextPVR Client on my desktop

I installed the plugin in Emby and entered the info in but dont see a place to access it. Only Recordings

Go into Live TV and do a guide Refresh.  Once completed the channel setup in NextPVR should now be available in Emby.

Jrod696

I flipped the encoder to H265 so nextPVR would have to Transcode it or so I thought, I was wrong it didnt play at all and the log is pretty scary.

Emby wants the direct TS and its not having anything else I am convinced at this point.

firesticklog6.txt

Edited by Jrod696

Yes it didn't like that at all.  I'm out of ideas for getting this to work in Live TV.  You could trying installing the IPTV plugin which uses different code base which  I think might be able to play this one link.  I'd kind of like to know if that would work or not.  IPTV plugin doesn't have the ability to record or have an EPG but you could have a dummy channel in Live TV just for EPG purposes to know what's on this if it works.  NextPVR can likely record it since it could play it.  Not optimal but...

At this point I love to know if the IPTV would handle this stream better as it has a different pipeline than Live TV does.  Up for trying it?

Jrod696
9 hours ago, cayars said:

Yes it didn't like that at all.  I'm out of ideas for getting this to work in Live TV.  You could trying installing the IPTV plugin which uses different code base which  I think might be able to play this one link.  I'd kind of like to know if that would work or not.  IPTV plugin doesn't have the ability to record or have an EPG but you could have a dummy channel in Live TV just for EPG purposes to know what's on this if it works.  NextPVR can likely record it since it could play it.  Not optimal but...

At this point I love to know if the IPTV would handle this stream better as it has a different pipeline than Live TV does.  Up for trying it?

Gave IPTV a try and didnt have any better luck with either the direct M3U or the M3U from NextPVR it essentially did the same thing.

Looking through the logs and comparing them one consistent error is "PES packet size mismatch" I did a quick google search and found lots of discussion around it and found there are basically some "-codes" you can add inline when executing the ffmpeg to fix or resolve the issue. With that said I dont know enough about that to even begin going down that rabbit hole.

kanipek

I read that at some point in the not to distant future Emby will not use FFMPEG for these types of streams. So MAYBE it might work better then?

I think when the next major update happens it would be worth exploring. @Luke can confirm if that FFMPEG info is correct.

Edited by kanipek

Yes, when the next generation Live TV project is released it would be worth trying again.

• Thanks 1

Jrod696
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yes, when the next generation Live TV project is released it would be worth trying again.

I'm not going to ask for a date but how a ballpark, how far away is that project, weeks, months, next year?

kanipek

Only the devs can know for sure, it's been coming in the near future for quite awhile. But based on things I have read here recently it is in active development.

@Luke ???

Edited by kanipek

• 1 year later...
learch74

I'm not sure if you still want to use that box, I bought a very similar unit from Aliexpress.  I was able to get it working with the following settings and .m3u file entries.

I hope it helps someone.  It was a pain to figure out.

image.thumb.png.050e92e231f773e1cb3be14798689b7e.png

Edited by learch74

Jrod696
8 minutes ago, learch74 said:

I'm not sure if you still want to use that box, I bought a very similar unit from Aliexpress.  I was able to get it working with the following settings and .m3u file entries.

Thanks for the the follow up, I ended up giving up on the unit and went with something a little more powerful, the unit is called an ENC1 and has an on screen display as well as HDMI in and OUT, they also have there software on GIT so you can go see the firmware updates at any time. Great machines, they even have an option to reboot themselves daily at a certain time and the interface is much more user friendly.

enc1.JPG

Jrod696
29 minutes ago, learch74 said:

I also forgot to add, I did find the link to update the firmware for the unit in the first post and the one you are using now, it may be helpful to you

https://docs.exvist.com/encoder/upgrade/download-firmware

Jrod696
2 minutes ago, emveepee said:

These HiSilcon boxes can often be exploited so make sure they aren't on the Internet.  See  https://kojenov.com/2020-09-15-hisilicon-encoder-vulnerabilities/  Mine (from uray) is quite stable though and goes for months at a time with no issue.

Martin

Thanks for the documentation, looking at the products and the prices, I assumed they probably would be so it is locked away from the outside world. Great product, but with open source software being used "LinkPi" I dont have any full trust.

learch74

Like you folks, I use mine on the LAN only and don't have a gateway setup on it.  I also used just the web interface to configure the box instead of downloading their IPScan software.