SUP/HDMV PGS subtitles not showing correctly

Bazzu85

On 7/15/2021 at 8:39 AM, Bazzu85 said:

@softworkz are you been able to check my last tests?

@Bazzu85 Thanks, that's some really good investigations. Please give me a little time to reproduce...

Bazzu85
9 minutes ago, softworkz said:

@Bazzu85 Thanks, that's some really good investigations. Please give me a little time to reproduce...

Sure. Thx!

• 2 weeks later...

OK - thanks again for your patience and your investigations!

I hadn't spotted it earlier, but now it's clear what is happening. Like I had suspected, it turns out that there's an error in your media file:

image.thumb.png.3af94a30f64565dc831c75c35226a2ea.png

The video is 1920x800 and subtitle stream #0:6 has a size of 1920x1080.
Most likely, the subtitle stream was ripped out from elsewhere and has been amateurishly muxed into your file without taking care of resizing the subtitles.

The subtitle stream's height is bigger than the video's height. That's just not valid. A height that is lower than the video height is not unusual though, as it reduces the encoded file size. That's why Emby is always scaling subtitles to the full output width and to a height that will preserve the aspect ratio. The result is then aligned to the bottom of the video, because when the subtitles area is just a bar of smaller height, the subtitles are still supposed to be positioned at the bottom.

In the case of your subtitle stream #6, that procedure causes a part of the subtitle area to be outside of the visible are, that's why you can't see subtitles that are positioned at the top of the subtitle frame.

The next beta will have a fix for that situation.

Edited by softworkz
  • Thanks 3

Bazzu85

thanks for your work and investigation!

I didn't notice the strange height of the video file..

can I ask how you fix it? you force the subtitles outside of the video to be placed inside?

7 hours ago, Bazzu85 said:

thanks for your work and investigation!

I didn't notice the strange height of the video file..

can I ask how you fix it? you force the subtitles outside of the video to be placed inside?

The fix is rather simple: If the aspect ratio of the subtitles is smaller than the video's aspect ratio, then we scale the subtitles to match the height of the video instead of the width.

• Thanks 1