Emby unlocked app no longer works

BrianK04

Dariusz
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Each app has its own unlock in its respective store.  Are you sure you unlocked the Fire TV app too?

This is why we offer Premiere - it unlocks everything.

I'm pretty sure I unlocked it on firetv as that's my main go to platform for watching and I remember getting this screen a while back and deciding to unlock it.. been using it for a year with no issues. Anyways.. I'll try to look into it more. 

abshole

So, maybe I'm confused by what "unlock" means versus paying for premium, but I have two Fire TV boxes, both having the Emby app on them. I've never paid for anything, yet up until last night on both of the devices there was no limitations on what I could play or for how long playback lasted. Other people on my server also never said anything about needing to pay to watch things, their devices ranging from web clients, smart tvs, Rokus, etc.

sinuhedu
17 minutes ago, abshole said:

So, maybe I'm confused by what "unlock" means versus paying for premium, but I have two Fire TV boxes, both having the Emby app on them. I've never paid for anything, yet up until last night on both of the devices there was no limitations on what I could play or for how long playback lasted. Other people on my server also never said anything about needing to pay to watch things, their devices ranging from web clients, smart tvs, Rokus, etc.

Same here, but with Android TV: I've paid for premiere in the past but not currently (and I never unlocked it) and it's been working until today when it is asking me to unlock or subscribe. But there is something weirder: the Android mobile app can now playback without limits, where it has always shown the 1 minute or subscribe message. Something is messed up?

1 hour ago, abshole said:

50 minutes ago, sinuhedu said:

Same here, but with Android TV: I've paid for premiere in the past but not currently (and I never unlocked it) and it's been working until today when it is asking me to unlock or subscribe. But there is something weirder: the Android mobile app can now playback without limits, where it has always shown the 1 minute or subscribe message. Something is messed up?

Hi.  This app has always required either Premiere or the unlock for playback after the trial period.  If it was working before without either of those, that was an error.

Thanks.

Emby Premiere Feature Matrix

abshole
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This app has always required either Premiere or the unlock for playback after the trial period.  If it was working before without either of those, that was an error.

Thanks.

Emby Premiere Feature Matrix

Huh. Interesting that it worked for 2 years & continues to work on one of my boxes.

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 2.10.59 PM.png

2 minutes ago, abshole said:

Huh. Interesting that it worked for 2 years & continues to work on one of my boxes.

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 2.10.59 PM.png

Hi.  If you have purchased the unlock, then you can use the "Restore Unlock" button on the purchase screen on the device that is giving you issues.

Please let us know if that works for you.

(you stated in your original message that you "never paid for anything")

sfboender

@ebr thats just not true, please do not lie/hide to loyal customers.

I’ve paid for a life time version to support you guys and found @Luke a great guy who always tries to help this community out. One of the reasons i went for the life time version. 

The fact you guys had a great fanbase was of the basic free playback. Those wanting hw accelerator and more features paid gladly but now saying to your fanbase:

We’ll the last 2 years of the “free” playback was an error and we’ve fixed isnt cool. 

if you changed the business plan from freemium to premium, fine great thats your choice but do understand you’re gonna lose us if u lie. 

My old folks will move back to Kodi but i do hope you guys wont become like the plex d*cks. 

Edited by sfboender

abshole
31 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If you have purchased the unlock, then you can use the "Restore Unlock" button on the purchase screen on the device that is giving you issues.

Please let us know if that works for you.

(you stated in your original message that you "never paid for anything")

2 years of personal usage on 2 devices, and 1+ year of other users with 5+ various devices with zero purchases seems like one hell of an error.

KalEl770

So what, the feature to unlock the app is no longer valid? Is that what I'm reading? If that's the case then fine but a little notice would have been appreciated. Also, to anyone who thinks that the restore unlock option will work, think again. I believe that's the first thing we all dod

Happy2Play

Sounds like something may have been broke for awhile if this is just popping up as these clients have never been Free.

Dariusz

I've been running mine on firetv since late 2018.  I remember having to pay for it then (would there be a way to check it?), but restore does not work. 

Screenshot_20200815-151805.jpg

Edited by Dariusz

23 minutes ago, KalEl770 said:

So what, the feature to unlock the app is no longer valid? Is that what I'm reading? If that's the case then fine but a little notice would have been appreciated. Also, to anyone who thinks that the restore unlock option will work, think again. I believe that's the first thing we all dod

Hi.  What happens when you try to restore the purchase?

29 minutes ago, sfboender said:

@ebr thats just not true, please do not lie/hide to loyal customers.

What do you feel isn't true?  This app has always been intended to require Premiere or an unlock.  That is documented in both our feature matrix and in the description of the app in the store and has always been that way.

31 minutes ago, sfboender said:

I’ve paid for a life time version to support you guys

If you have a Premiere subscription, then none of this should be an issue for you.  Is your Premiere key installed in the server to which you are connecting?

sfboender

@ebr (some reason cant quote you on mobile):

my old folks used the free version, i do not have any issues on my devices. 

you keep saying its in the matrix but that matrix has been updated. The fact multiple users here have said they’ve used the app for multiple years for free without any hassle just confirms it. 

Again the way you are communicating is just poorly done. Just acknowledge to the users here you’ve decided to steer the ship a different path makes it easier for them to move onto other apps from different developers. Unless you’re willing to revert back to how it used to be a week ago. 

its pity actually having to explain this.. good luck with this new move and I hope ya’ll dont touch the life time subscription features.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KalEl770 said:

Nothing happens when you try to restore the app

If you go into the settings page for the app what does it say in the lower right corner?

2 minutes ago, sfboender said:

@ebr (some reason cant quote you on mobile):

my old folks used the free version, i do not have any issues on my devices. 

you keep saying its in the matrix but that matrix has been updated. The fact multiple users here have said they’ve used the app for multiple years for free without any hassle just confirms it. 

Again the way you are communicating is just poorly done. Just acknowledge to the users here you’ve decided to steer the ship a different path makes it easier for them to move onto other apps from different developers. Unless you’re willing to revert back to how it used to be a week ago. 

its pity actually having to explain this.. good luck with this new move and I hope ya’ll dont touch the life time subscription features.  

I'm sorry you feel this way but this is not a change in policy.  The app store description and feature matrix have not been changed.

dmurphy22

There was clearly a licensing feature not working as intended on android applications. It's always been the case that you need to pay to use the apps. if up until now you have not had to pay then you got lucky.

Pay the measly 5 bucks to get your unlock, Emby developers do a fine job and deserve to get paid. By the way, google eat 30% of that $5 so really they are only getting 3.50 per unlock.

• Like 1

abshole
4 minutes ago, dmurphy22 said:

There was clearly a licensing feature not working as intended on android applications. It's always been the case that you need to pay to use the apps. if up until now you have not had to pay then you got lucky.

Pay the measly 5 bucks to get your unlock, Emby developers do a fine job and deserve to get paid. By the way, google eat 30% of that $5 so really they are only getting 3.50 per unlock.

More like Android, Apple, Roku, Emby on SmartTV's, Playstation,

BrianK04

I think this is getting a little off topic.  The original issue was people who have paid to unlock emby, suddenly getting locked out of playback with the latest update.

2 minutes ago, abshole said:

More like Android, Apple, Roku, Emby on SmartTV's, Playstation,

Hi.  Not sure what you mean as this issue we're talking about is only related to this one app - Android TV/Fire TV.

dmurphy22

Neither me and my users have noticed the licensing issue on platforms other than android.

Roku is free, does not require premier or an unlock, playstation doesn't have an app it uses the web player which you could never buy an an unlock for, you need premier, apple has been showing the dialog for purchase as expected and always has when there are no premier spots. LG and samsung apps are also free like Roku if I am remembering correctly.

1 minute ago, BrianK04 said:

I think this is getting a little off topic.  The original issue was people who have paid to unlock emby, suddenly getting locked out of playback with the latest update.

24 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you go into the settings page for the app what does it say in the lower right corner?