Emby unlocked app no longer works

BrianK04

BrianK04

I had previously paid to unlock emby, now it won't playback media and says I need to unlock again.  I use nvidia shield, it says its version "1.8.24g expired" on the shield screen.  My windows server says version 4.4.3.0.  

I tried restarting server on windows, I uninstalled and reinstalled the app on shield.

Playback works on my android phone.  

If I scroll down in the nvidia shield app, the unlock icon is unlocked, but when you click on it, it has emby premiere, unlock, restore unlock and cancel buttons.  Restore unlock does nothing.

I attached the top file in my logs section from the server window.

I'm not sure how to fix this.

embyserver.txt

Adamtc68

Same issue on the Fire TV.  Restore purchase on the account doesn’t work but the app has been unlocked for a year or more.  Only began in the last 2 days as we’ve used it frequently prior to that.  

KalEl770

I tried watching Emby on both my nVidia sheild and fire tv today and it is now asking me to subscribe to Emby Premiere even though I have already paid to unlock the app on both devices. I did this at least a year and have been enjoying the app until today. Nothing has changed with regards to how I log into the apps or the devices. I have tried restarting the app, try to re-do the unlock via the on screen button and uninstalling then re-installing it. Nothing has helped and my only option seems to be to subscribe to the premiere service. Does the app purchase expire or has that feature been rescinded? I have attached the log from my server, if it helps. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.embyserver 8-14.txt

Dariusz

I have the same issue.. asking to upgrade again.. I have been using the app for over a year with no issues until it started to give me the request to pay again.. cencelling the window or selecting restore unlock is not working. I assume it might have something to do with the newly released version 1.8.24

BrianK04

Damn, didn't realize a new version just released, I normally turn off auto-update :(

Does anyone have instructions how to sideload the older apk into nvidia shield?  I tried downloading from shield, using puffin browser but gave error saying couldn't download for this device.

BrianK04

Ok, so I figured out how to install an older apk of emby.

On computer, download 1.8.10g

On nvidia shield, turn off auto updates in the app store and uninstall emby.

On shield, download "downloader" app.  It's the first thing that comes up by searching D, in apps.

On nvidia shield turn on network storage, followed this video 

Also in this video on computer turn on network discovery and from comments "in the search bar enter windows features, select turn windows features on or off, tick smb 1.0/CIFS sharing support (all 3 boxes in subsection), Reboot.

Now On computer I can see my nvidia shield, I move the apk I downloaded onto "internal->downloader"  (not download)

On shield, I open up the "downloader" app, go to downloads and install the apk.

Playback now works for me.

Happy2Play

Yes until a server update breaks on older version apps.  So it is a matter of what in the new update is not recognizing previously unlocked app/client.

I am seeing the same problem on my Amazon FireTV devices app ver 1.8.24a / server ver 4.4.3.0.

The app has been unlocked for years. I am unable to restore unlock and the unlock option wont load.

Just started getting the restriction notice too on AndroidTV about subscribing or unlocking the app. Choosing "Restore Unlock" doesn't do anything.

Restarting the app and server didn't change anything

sugarat

I have Emby on an Amazon box and cannot now playback any videos! It says 'Playback unspported', and tells me to purchase Emby premiere!   I don't need any fancy features, just basic video playback. 

Seems related to me. 

26 minutes ago, Phorn said:

Just started getting the restriction notice too on AndroidTV about subscribing or unlocking the app. Choosing "Restore Unlock" doesn't do anything.

Restarting the app and server didn't change anything

Ok I looked for my original Unlock purchase and I cannot find it. I've been using the Android TV app for months and this is the first time I've seen the Unlock Required playback error. 

I thought I Unlocked it a while back, but if I didn't then how come I've been using it fine for months until now ?

Whatever I just paid to Unlock it again 🙄

Just now, ebr said:

And that worked fine?

Yep it did. If this is the first time I paid it's fine obviously, just kinda confused why I was able to use it for months prior lol.

7 minutes ago, sugarat said:

I have Emby on an Amazon box and cannot now playback any videos! It says 'Playback unspported', and tells me to purchase Emby premiere!   I don't need any fancy features, just basic video playback. 

Seems related to me. 

Hi.  You can purchase the single app unlock.

38 minutes ago, KalEl770 said:

Yes, it does not correct the issue.

And you are positive you purchased the app unlock on the appropriate store with the same store account?  Do you recall when you did that?

sugarat
31 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You can purchase the single app unlock.

Hi there, 

I'm confused, why do I need to purchase anything for basic video playback?  We have been using the Emby app for years and now it suddenly stopped working?

Many thanks

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, sugarat said:

Hi there, 

I'm confused, why do I need to purchase anything for basic video playback?  We have been using the Emby app for years and now it suddenly stopped working?

Many thanks

Hi.  If it was working previously, something wasn't working properly.  This app has always required Premiere or an unlock for use beyond its trial.  This is indicated in the app description in the store.

Emby Premiere Feature Matrix

sugarat
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If it was working previously, something wasn't working properly.  This app has always required Premiere or an unlock for use beyond its trial.  This is indicated in the app description in the store.

Emby Premiere Feature Matrix

Ah okay, interesting, thanks for the info.  Yes, I can see that now.  The feature matrix for Amazon TV says 'Full Playback' requires 'App Unlock'.  Forgive me for being clueless, but what's the difference between App Unlock and Premiere?   Is this an Amazon thing?   Many thanks

Just now, sugarat said:

Ah okay, interesting, thanks for the info.  Yes, I can see that now.  The feature matrix for Amazon TV says 'Full Playback' requires 'App Unlock'.  Forgive me for being clueless, but what's the difference between App Unlock and Premiere?   Is this an Amazon thing?   Many thanks

Hi.  That feature matrix shows you what you get with Premiere vs. just an app unlock.  Premiere unlocks pretty much everything everywhere while an app unlock only allows playback for that one app.

Thanks.

Dariusz
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That feature matrix shows you what you get with Premiere vs. just an app unlock.  Premiere unlocks pretty much everything everywhere while an app unlock only allows playback for that one app.

Thanks.

I recall doing the app unlock back in the day when it asked me to.. based on that matrix iOS/Android also requires app unlock and it works because I just tested it.. but my fireTV still keeps asking to app unlock and this only happened since latest update.. my server is on 4.4.3.0. is it possible there is some issue between server version and latest firetv app version?

1 minute ago, Dariusz said:

I recall doing the app unlock back in the day when it asked me to.. based on that matrix iOS/Android also requires app unlock and it works because I just tested it.. but my fireTV still keeps asking to app unlock and this only happened since latest update.. my server is on 4.4.3.0. is it possible there is some issue between server version and latest firetv app version?

Each app has its own unlock in its respective store.  Are you sure you unlocked the Fire TV app too?

This is why we offer Premiere - it unlocks everything.

• Facepalm 1