two tuners - one for owner - the other for everyone - possible?

psybertech

psybertech

Hey again.

OK, so if I have two TV tuners but I want one to be ONLY visible and available to me to be able to pick programs to record and what-not, and the other to be available to non-admin (not me) users for tuning in to watch what they want, is this possible at all?

I don't think so, but I needed to check.

If not, could this be added as a feature?

i.e. under: 

• Feature Access
    • Allow Live TV access (checkbox yes/no)
      • Tuner 1 (checkbox yes/no)
      • Tuner 2 (checkbox yes/no)
      • Tuner 3 (checkbox yes/no)
      • etc. (checkbox yes/no)

Thanks in advance!!!

j

There is not an easy way to do this but depending on the type of tuners you have might be possible.

This is currently not possible, but it has come up before and is possible for the future. thanks.

psybertech

OK, thanks for the replies!

@cayars

I have two scenarios, but all involve HDHR tuners*:

Scenario 1:

• HDHR dual tuner (would be for me for recordings)
  • HDHR quad tuner (would be for everyone)

Scenario 2* is a new one and why I posted after wanted it before for scenario 1.

• HDHR quad tuner (for me only for recordings)
  • spoofed HDHR tuner for custom dizquetv channels (for everyone)

@Luke

Thanks! This would rock at some point!!!

I may think about setting a second Emby server up just for recordings so I can do this for now. Maybe...

Thanks!!!

j

Hey psybertech, I might be able to get you most of the way there for this but it's a lot of manual work to setup.  You up for that?

Question for you.  Does Emby combine your dual and quad tuners or do you get 2 of each channel in the guide?

If Emby combines them, we need to break this so we could create an M3U file for one of the tuners and set it back up in Emby as M3U vs HDHomeRun tuner.

Now you'll have two listing of every channel.  You can change the channel numbers in the M3U to make them all 100 or 1000 higher then normal so you would have two distinct lists of channels.

You now manually TAG each channel with something like AdminTV & UserTV tags.

Then you edit each user to restrict then from using the AdminTV while you restrict your admin account from using UserTV.  So now both you and users have essentially a dedicated tuner for your use.  In DVR you will have access to both tuners so you would need to be careful and lock the recording to the tuner reserved for yourself (different channel numbers make this easy to tell).  Or maybe you want DVR to use any available tuner as you want that to trump live tv.  DVR I believe will always use the first tuner added then the second so if you add the tuner that is reserved for your use that will be the "default" DVR tuner and would "fail over" to the users tuners if needed.

This will work but like I said is a manual setup process.

psybertech

@cayars

Thanks for the input. 
I was going to go down the high maintenance rabbit hole of marking channels with tags (which I already do) and then blacklisting them to users.

But honestly, at this point, I am just gong to use 1 tuner for everyone on my main server and work on using something else to record outside Emby.

I just think separating them will be easier to maintain over time. I may be wrong, and I know I would prefer to keep it all in Emby, but for now, I think I am just throwing my hat in and just saying, i am fine with two solutions. It will help me deploy the one tuner to everyone faster.

Anyway.......thanks again!!!!

J :D

It's not that bad to do for OTA where you might have 50 to 60 channels but is quite another with 400 cable channels or a big IPTV list.

If you got another computer handy just install another Emby server on that to use for your own recordings.  You could even use the post processing feature to move the recordings to your main system if you wanted.

• 9 months later...