emby server crash. playing back a recording while watching

brabs

Hello, This is my first post as a new emby subscriber. was hoping for everything to work well but having a few issues. We use a few different Android TV devices (2019 shield pro, 2015 shield, mibox, nexus player etc). this happened on the 2019 shield pro. We have a tv series recording and my wife decided to start watching the show by selecting "watch from the beginning" I'm not sure how far into the show she was but she paused it to do do something. and when she came back it gone back to the android tv home screen. tried to go back into emby but there was just the spinning circle. went to the server and the server had crashed. in fact the whole computer needed rebooting as it was unresponsive. it looks like it crashed about half hour into the show at around 20.00.The show hadn't finished as it still had around 1 hour left to record. here are the logs below.

thanks for your help

embyserver-63727937586.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-ec8613f3-6d2f-40da-8c7f-60301269787b_1.txt

Edited by brabs
more details

its happened again, same as last post.My Wife said she paused it again, same show as well! The only difference is she was using the 2015 Shield in the other room.

here are some more logs.

embyserver-63728367738.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-2545a9f3-6197-462f-934d-609930217401_1.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-ed910de5-c0f6-4250-93b0-6e113935bb8c_1.txt

Edited by brabs

here is some more data, its happened again, bit of pausing and rewinding caused the crash again. 2019 shield this time. here are somer more logs. 

she starts watching the show in direct live tv. then pauses (put into live seek mode) the program being watched was being recorded (scheduled) at the time again.

embyserver-63728539160.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-a2e482a8-69dc-4005-b169-768537fc10d2_1.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-a52bc2ac-80b4-442e-85e6-42006afc83e2_1.txt

Not sure if this would cause problems, but installing emby while Jellyfin server is installed (but stopped). Cause any issues? I did totally uninstall Jellyfin shortly after. I’m just wondering if there may be a conflict of components eg. ffmpeg?

Edited by brabs

Hi there, apologies for the delay. Are you able to use the web interface when this happens?

brabs

Hi Luke, haven’t tried. Would using the Mac on the server local host count as web interface? If it does the page was unresponsive due to the server crash. Infact my whole iMac becomes unresponsive and I have to force restart. Is there another way to test? I have the emby app on my iPhone, is that using web interface? I could try that when it happens again.

server crashed again, I couldn't use web app or iOS app. so needed to reboot server. same as before, was recording a program and my wife started to watch from the beginning, then it was paused and when wanting to resume, that's when it crashed.

on reconnection to server from android tv app on shield pro 2019. I sent logs 2minutes ago.

embyserver-63730267010.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-fdeb5dda-3ec8-4321-96eb-ba7f7276b23e_1.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-fb59ea14-e1f3-4817-a51d-6bb13670b1e6_1.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-02681532-720c-4bc8-9591-2c6e83c66933_1.txt

Edited by brabs
added logs

Hi again, it appears every time we watch a program from the start while it is still recording, if we pause the program for a few minutes (the latest time is was between 5 and 10 minutes) it crashes the server and needs to be restarted. Not only that, because the server gets restarted, the recording stops and my wife misses her program. Im getting in trouble here guys, is there any ideas on how to fix this>

How much free space do you have on the drives being recorded to?

Drive where your transcoding temp directory is located?

Hi cayars,

macOS Catalina is installed on an external 500gb samsung ssd with tons of free space.

i have the recorded to folder on an external 4tb seagate HDD. All my Video media resides on this drive (eg all movies and Tv shows) there is around 2.5tb free.

the transcoding temporary folder is on the internal 1TB HDD inside the iMac. This is the only thing that this hdd is used for so heaps of space. This used to be the OS hard drive before I started using the external ssd for the OS.
blackmagic tells me that both drives read and write at around 130mb/s. 
It is a late 2012 iMac which is 3.2ghz i5. And all USB are 3.0 ports.

cheers and thanks for your help.

Edited by brabs

How much free space do you have on the HDD inside the iMac and also on the external 4tb HDD where you record?

I'm a PC guy,not Mac so I can't really help much.  I just wanted to check that as running out of space on any OS could cause funky things to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

another issue except this wasn't being paused at the time, my other similar issue in this subsection received no support, so I'm not really expecting any help. but here are the logs. the web server was not accessible as the server stopped and couldn't be restarted without restarting my Mac. I really hope I get help, as I really like your server and app for shield tv. but my wife is not happy so my life is not happy. 

here are the logs

embyserver-63732947818.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-b3ed33c5-ab8b-45b3-9bd9-2fc3136154bb_1.txt

Hi Luke it happens quite often, pretty much every time that you pause the program as well. It mainly happens to my wife as she is the only one that uses the recording function. There are more logs in my other thread in this subsection.

cheers

Ok, I’ve replaced the app in the application folder and confirmed I’m now on 4.5.0.20 beta.

ill get my wife to test under The same conditions and report back.

cheers