External login simplification

mastrmind11

mastrmind11

How are you guys handling external logins for active accounts?  I have strong passwords for my users, but when I'm external trying to use a remote to input this stuff sucks.  I don't want to open up IP ranges as "local" since they're dynamic  IPs and would be a pain in the ass to manually manage, but I'd love to be able to mimic the passwordless/pin home environment when I'm away (like, say, Netflix).  What is everyone else doing?

Q-Droid

Emby users are not bank accounts so you could use characters that are easy to enter from the d-pad on remotes without having to switch the keyboard to symbols or move around too much.

mastrmind11
1 hour ago, Q-Droid said:

Emby users are not bank accounts so you could use characters that are easy to enter from the d-pad on remotes without having to switch the keyboard to symbols or move around too much.

sure, but internally i can set no pw or 1111 on the remote for a pw.  obviously not ideal for external.  i'm wondering how everyone is dealing with this oob.  i cant be the only one that has a strong pw for external connections.

Just setup a simple unique password on a NORMAL non admin account you use remotely, with no delete privs.

What's the worst that would happen is someone got this password?  Watch a movie or TV show?

mastrmind11
39 minutes ago, cayars said:

Just setup a simple unique password on a NORMAL non admin account you use remotely, with no delete privs.

What's the worst that would happen is someone got this password?  Watch a movie or TV show?

Yeah but then I have to somehow sync my watched status between that account and my main account once I get home.  I need to think about this a bit, maybe I'll write a script or something 🤷‍♂️

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

Yeah but then I have to somehow sync my watched status between that account and my main account once I get home.  I need to think about this a bit, maybe I'll write a script or something 🤷‍♂️

Easy as running a Restore of just userdata with the Server Configuration Backup plugin mapping user to user.