4K HDR with Dolby Atmos from NAS 2 LG TV

ashotjp

ashotjp

Hello,
Not sure where to post it and I looked everywhere and should not find an answer.

I have NAS with Emby server and Emby app on LG WebOs tv - everything working great except UHD movies. when I play HDR movie with Dolby atmos it is playing video as HDR but audio is not Dolby Atmos, my sound bar showing sound as Dolby digital on its screen :(. also  Playback info showing Direct stream video HEVC (direct) and audio as AC3

is there way to make it work? looks like Emby server transcoding it to a different sound format.

IMG_0447.JPG

Edited by ashotjp
added screenshot

Hi, lg doesn't support truehd passthrough, or at least it's not available for third party apps to utilize.

ashotjp

then how come Apple TV application playing 4K with Dolby Atmos streaming thru internet and it is working just fine? 
btw myh TV and sound bar supports Dolby Atmos. all I want is to Emby not transcode it to ac3 and stream it as it is. it is doing with HEVC video, why not do with Dolby Atmos.
it is not LG, it is EMBY issue

Edited by ashotjp

rbjtech

All STREAMING platforms - Netflix, AppleTV etc are just using DD+ with Atmos - ie compressed sound.  This works fine (as it does with Emby) as it passes over the usual ARC channel - but HD Sound formats (TrueHD with Atmos and DTS-HD:X etc) do not as the LG HARDWARE cannot process these streams.  It is 100% an LG issue I'm afraid.

The only option for HD Sound is an external player (such as the Shield Pro) or simply select the AC3 channel before you play the video (or DTS stream if your LG is older than 2020).

@cayars @SamES - As this question/answer is very frequent on the LG client section, is it worth adding as a sticky ?  I'm happy to draft something. :)

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

rbjech I don't personally have an LG (anymore - stolen) so I have ZERO testing experience with this which makes documentation a wee bit hard for me. :)

You're a wealth of knowledge on many things Emby so if you want to write up something/anything that can contribute to the knowledge base please do!!! Topic doesn't matter!

Normally if it's a client I don't use or part of the system I'm not confident in, I'd pass it by the appropriate dev for feedback (article wise).

But since you tagged both me and a dev this is pretty easy.  Write up anything you want to contribute to the KB and PM me and @SamES the info.  This way Sam can make the call if he'd like to have anything changed before we publish it.  I'll take care of all formatting and web stuff so a simple notepad text if fine, or what ever you want to contribute.

But yea, we would love to have more info for any KB articles on any topic so feel free to PM me any time!!!!

• Like 1

SamES
24 minutes ago, cayars said:

rbjech I don't personally have an LG (anymore - stolen) so I have ZERO testing experience with this which makes documentation a wee bit hard for me. :)

You're a wealth of knowledge on many things Emby so if you want to write up something/anything that can contribute to the knowledge base please do!!! Topic doesn't matter!

Normally if it's a client I don't use or part of the system I'm not confident in, I'd pass it by the appropriate dev for feedback (article wise).

But since you tagged both me and a dev this is pretty easy.  Write up anything you want to contribute to the KB and PM me and @SamES the info.  This way Sam can make the call if he'd like to have anything changed before we publish it.  I'll take care of all formatting and web stuff so a simple notepad text if fine, or what ever you want to contribute.

But yea, we would love to have more info for any KB articles on any topic so feel free to PM me any time!!!!

@rbjtech @cayars, I'm happy with that plan.  Thanks for offering, I'm happy to review before publishing 

• Like 1

ashotjp
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

All STREAMING platforms - Netflix, AppleTV etc are just using DD+ with Atmos - ie compressed sound.  This works fine (as it does with Emby) as it passes over the usual ARC channel - but HD Sound formats (TrueHD with Atmos and DTS-HD:X etc) do not as the LG HARDWARE cannot process these streams.  It is 100% an LG issue I'm afraid.

The only option for HD Sound is an external player (such as the Shield Pro) or simply select the AC3 channel before you play the video (or DTS stream if your LG is older than 2020).

@cayars @SamES - As this question/answer is very frequent on the LG client section, is it worth adding as a sticky ?  I'm happy to draft something. :)

Thank you so much for clear answer! I do have 2020 lg with Atmos support. but I guess it is DD+Atmos :)

ashotjp
56 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Thank you soooooo much!

I'll do some info checking on my files and eq. because some dts, or hd, or truehd is playing and some not but this is thru ARC, I'll check if sounds that are not playing will it be played thru eArc.  Can't make Shield set up yet as it is on the way. 

dang, so many different formats, eq supports some and don't support others... omg :

• Like 1