Realtime Dashboard

nanohits

nanohits

IS there anyway we could see a realtime dashboard similar to Plex where when things get updated, you dont need to refresh the website? Maybe some kind of Ajax?

Also in the Dashboard is there anyway of showing number of users like a badge so we know how many users are  using Emby along with what they are watching etc. Right now it is a laborious process of going to activity to check.

• Like 6

Happy2Play

You may want to give the Playback Reporting Plugin a look also.

He's talking about a rolled up view for many things the admin would like to know at a glance.  Examples:

Remote Bandwidth in Use

Streaming

Downloading

Syncing

CPU Usage

GPU Usage

Current Tuners in Use, Tuners free

Number of Active Recordings

Number of Total Streams

Direct Played

Direct Streamed

Transcoding (CPU, GPU)

List of online users and what they are currently doing

• Like 2

nanohits
49 minutes ago, cayars said:

He's talking about a rolled up view for many things the admin would like to know at a glance.  Examples:

Remote Bandwidth in Use

Streaming

Downloading

Syncing

CPU Usage

GPU Usage

Current Tuners in Use, Tuners free

Number of Active Recordings

Number of Total Streams

Direct Played

Direct Streamed

Transcoding (CPU, GPU)

List of online users and what they are currently doing

On the money! Exactly. Today I let a lot of new users in and they say that the playback and loading is much better than Plex but each and everyone said navigating through movies etc is hard and not very well done compared to Plex as I am slowly moving them over to Emby. So they are pretty impressed except for the navigation.

Hmm, what exactly is hard about the navigation in movies? I've used Plex and Emby both for years and years but the Movies library isn't something I'd think "Plex is better" or "Emby is harder".

I'm surely not saying you or your users are wrong but I can't think of how Emby isn't better. Of course that is personal and after making Emby my main system so it's biased!

Can you explain what you mean by "navigation is better in Plex" or even better if possible to show a couple contrasting screen shots?  The Emby team is always looking for things that can be improved so if something is better...

Sometimes I've found a bit of reorganization is needed moving from Plex to Emby.  In Plex it's sometime better to break out things and for example have several movie libs but in Emby you MAY be better off with one Movie library and learn to use other features not available in Plex.  So I can see how some things could maybe seem a step backward since you're thinking "Plex" while using Emby but once you get "Emby" and learn to navigate the Emby way then "Plex" seems harder.  A lot of this can simply be a matter of what you're used to, new screens that aren't as familiar, etc.  But we would love an honest opinion of what you find easier navigation wise.

Honest feedback is more than welcome!

Oh, something important, what client or app are they using?  Any dominant client or a mix? There are differences in clients with some more polished on the Plex side and many more polished and usable on the Emby side so that could come into play as well.

Thanks,

Carlo

nanohits
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hmm, what exactly is hard about the navigation in movies? I've used Plex and Emby both for years and years but the Movies library isn't something I'd think "Plex is better" or "Emby is harder".

I'm surely not saying you or your users are wrong but I can't think of how Emby isn't better. Of course that is personal and after making Emby my main system so it's biased!

Can you explain what you mean by "navigation is better in Plex" or even better if possible to show a couple contrasting screen shots?  The Emby team is always looking for things that can be improved so if something is better...

Sometimes I've found a bit of reorganization is needed moving from Plex to Emby.  In Plex it's sometime better to break out things and for example have several movie libs but in Emby you MAY be better off with one Movie library and learn to use other features not available in Plex.  So I can see how some things could maybe seem a step backward since you're thinking "Plex" while using Emby but once you get "Emby" and learn to navigate the Emby way then "Plex" seems harder.  A lot of this can simply be a matter of what you're used to, new screens that aren't as familiar, etc.  But we would love an honest opinion of what you find easier navigation wise.

Honest feedback is more than welcome!

Oh, something important, what client or app are they using?  Any dominant client or a mix? There are differences in clients with some more polished on the Plex side and many more polished and usable on the Emby side so that could come into play as well.

Thanks,

Carlo

For example on desktop here is Plex: https://lnkk.me/eDuB6ENE

See how in one go I can choose which Epidose I want to get to?

Here is Emby: https://lnkk.me/Jru6bedX

See how I have to keep scrolling to get to the last episode?

These are users using ATV, LG TV and each device is different compared to desktop. I was just giving you an example of desktop.

K1ng_Lear

C‘mon guys, another discussion around Plex vs EMBY GUI?
It all come down to your personal preferences but I think, if I reconsider all the discussion I read here, the most of us prefer the EMBY usability over the Plex one. Further more, it seems, that a lot of the people here who are switched from Plex to EMBY, including me, did this due to the terrible  Plex GUI.

nanohits

Hey I am just telling you the feedback. DOn't have to act all fanboish here. I just showed you the example of getting to episodes. It is just constructive feedback. This is not a Plex vs Emby at all. If the developers want to take this onboard then its perfectly fine. If not it is ok. 

I'd personally like to hear the feedback.  Usually a tweak or two in Emby changes things or we learn what customers want and improve.  Both are good things.

Yes I understand what you are saying looking at the display. BUT, yea hear it comes. Before I make any suggestions or changes to your setup,  I'd like you to do a simple test for me that I think is valid.  Tell me if you think I'm off.

I don't know anything about this series (btw you said movies previously not series or shows :) ) but pick episode 5, 10, 15 and 20 of that series season 1 (improvise if not enough episodes).

So go back to the TV show library on both Emby and Plex.  Now enter the series and count 1 for a remote click.  Count every click of the remote to play episode 5, 10, 15 and 20 and let us know how the two systems compare click (navigation wise) wise to play an episode. Doesn't matter if you see the episode on screen or not.  But how many click to navigate and start play?

I have no idea what the amount of click difference will be but less clicks to play something is usually better.  Might be different but usually better. If Plex does this with less click I'd commend them on a good job even if I don't care for their UI as much and it will give us something to "top" or improve.  However, (yea here it comes), I'd like to also try a similar series where you have 17 or more season like Law and Order or over 10 season like The Big Bang Theory (something you have many seasons of).   There is always a balance of layout based on both simple episodes and more complex season.  I have no idea the outcome but would love to see the differences based just on amount of clicks to navigate on a client (not web UI).

I would also like to explore the same thing for movies as well which I find Emby using far less clicks (on my system with my setup) then Plex.

This is a good test for navigation (moving around) so it's pretty valid even if the outcomes is opposite of what you think might be the case. :)

The info is good, so please report back what you find click wise to navigate each system.

Carlo

nanohits

Ok so both are the same number of clicks to get to those episodes.The only difference is I dont have to scroll to get to them in Plex.

The other thing is marking a series as not played or played takes an click. That could actually be streamlined a bit to make it easier all within the 3 dots instead at the dot at the top.

K1ng_Lear
6 hours ago, nanohits said:

Hey I am just telling you the feedback. DOn't have to act all fanboish here. I just showed you the example of getting to episodes. It is just constructive feedback. This is not a Plex vs Emby at all. If the developers want to take this onboard then its perfectly fine. If not it is ok. 

Hey, it's ok. But especially to this topic we still have a discussion somewhere here.

Why I always react a little bit harsh to this topic relies on my experience whit PLEX. Once upon a time, PLEX had a usable GUI, too, but then they decided to "improve" their GUI to a wonderful, new, shiny, modern and over the top GUI. Unfortunately the result was actual total crap!

So I'm always a little bit afraid that due to a lot of claiming in this direction someone come to the idea that the PLEX GUI is actual a good one.  I'm totally aware that the GUI isn't perfect and in total some things are made better by PLEX but as we say here: "A burned child avoids the fire." 😉 

Happy2Play

So in the end this topic wants everything that has been requested to go into EmbyStats

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56640-developing-a-standalone-embystat-server/

But the Playback Reporting plugin covers some of this already.

Edited by Happy2Play

40 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So in the end this topic wants everything that has been requested to go into EmbyStats

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56640-developing-a-standalone-embystat-server/

But the Playback Reporting plugin covers some of this already.

No absolutely not.  What's being asked for here is REAL-TIME monitoring of key metrics, not what happened in the past which is what the stats server shows.

We want to be able to quickly look at one screen and know there are 6 devices streaming (1 a transcode) and 3 of those are watching live TV. That 2 of the devices are local while 4 are remote using 22 mbps of your 25 mbps bandwidth.

That there are 2 DVR recordings in progress and one download/sync job in the queue. 

Meanwhile the CPU(s) is at 22% usage while the GPU is 80% used.

Basically overall key metrics of what's going on at that exact moment in time.

• Like 2

Happy2Play

Yes all that has been requested dozen of times, all of the wonderful stuff https://tautulli.com/ provides, as requested in above link.

Some info is already available via Playback Reporting

reporting.thumb.jpg.21bf9ab12a5b0b075a703f2709ad6d0a.jpg

But to me this should all be plugin related and not added to the core server.

Edited by Happy2Play

To me this type of info should be sitting at the top of the DASHBOARD view updating in real time.  On the same page you can get more info looking at the activity, devices, alerts but have the real-time info in your face as soon as you login as the admin.  That to me says CORE and not plugin.  Of course I think the DASHBOARD needs additional info on it as well like status of tuners and especially what is actively being recorded.  Can't tell you how many times I've done an Emby restart and screwed up recordings that were in progress that I wasn't aware of!

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Well the Dashboard already shows half that info already, but can only assume that much info would need a table not a placeholder.  But all this is clutter to me and should be in its own area and there are and will be other plugins doing the exact same thing this.  But everyone has there own personal preferences, to me I would want to disable them if it were a Core feature.

• Like 1

nanohits
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Well the Dashboard already shows half that info already, but can only assume that much info would need a table not a placeholder.  But all this is clutter to me and should be in its own area and there are and will be other plugins doing the exact same thing this.  But everyone has there own personal preferences, to me I would want to disable them if it were a Core feature.

I disagree with you totally. The whole point is ease of use and its just cumbersome to click here go there. The current Admin dashboard needs an overhaul. Its archaic at best. Realtime stats is important so we know how its all going.

• Like 3

To me this type of thing is the very nature of a "Dashboard" view.  Quick to look at info that makes it easy to see what's going on.  If you need more detailed info you can then visit the appropriate spot in Emby.  I so dislike having to go look at several tuners to see if there is any activity then look at our current dashboard to see what user is playing TV, to then figure out if that accounts for all tuners in use.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 3

SikSlayer

I agree with nanohits and cayars. The dashboard is archaic, nor is this the first time this has been asked for.

• Like 3

MBSki

A specific example of something to improve...this looks terrible. I understand that the episode has a long title, but there should be a better way to handle this. 

image.png.cae962a4419b60f2ef0375d3e45e0a12.png

nanohits

Yes correct, plus will be nice to see like a badge of how many users are online.

The things I love about Emby is the almost instantaneous playback and fast towards and their library management. Leaves Plex in the dust. ALl my friends have said what a fantastic experience Emby has been. To me they need to have a good admin panel which they lack sorely. This is one area where Plex shines as you can easily see everything in one screen and a quick glance tells me how many are watching with the number at the top. Very handy. I mean this: https://lnkk.me/rRu7o18q and the stats. https://lnkk.me/E0unrgDz

• Like 2