Major issues adjusting quality of broadcast, using 2019 Nvidia shield pro as Emby server

gbballpack

gbballpack

Hello,

I am using an HDhomerun Prime with Emby on an Nvidia Shield to share tv broadcasts with family members.

When adjusting the quality of a live tv broadcast using Emby, I am seeing major glitchiness. Usually the video will not re-start playing after attempting to lower the video playback quality.

When I test the same source sources using Plex with the Nvidia Shield as a server, I am seeing none of the glitchiness I am seeing with Emby, when attempting to adjust the transcoding quality for playing back live tv.

Which logs should I be providing to help with this issue?

I know someone is going to tell me to buy a server or a NAS, but I'm already hosting all of my non-live media on a remote server. I thought the shield would be a light/efficient way to handle the livetv aspect of my setup.

Hello,

You would want to provide the embyserver log as well as any ffmpeg logs that match the channel being transcode if present.  You can access and download them from the LOG menu option on your admin console in a web browser.

Are you trying to play these channels back on the Shield TV or using other clients?

Thanks,

Carlo

gbballpack

I'm trying to recreate what is causing the errors, but the errors are occurring inconsistently. 

Two times earlier today I had the video freeze and than crash the Emby media server app, on the Nvidia Shield, when playing back a recording already in progress using an Amazon Fire 4k Stick, after attempting to skip ahead in a recording already taking place, after selecting "playback from the beginning," when choosing a video and adjusting the transcoding quality at the same time.

My parents have a very limited internet connected, so I was attempting to test/simulate playback at a setting similar to their limited bandwidth, if they were going to stream the video back from my emby server.

I have not been able to recreate the media server crash on the Emby media server app on the Nvidia Shield, but it appears that reducing the video quality from the default auto to an extremely low setting, like 1.5 Mb/s, will cause the video to play and inconsistently stop playing back. The nvidia shield, hdhomerun prime, and amazon fire 4k stick are all on the same switch.

Transcoding temp is on the same USB storage as the source media, so it could be about storage performance

Triple-hit: 1. read source media 2. write hls segments 3. read segments for transferring to the client

I also think that because the Shield hardware should be able to transcode this faster than 3.5x

We could try to:

• Activate Throttling
  • Move Transcoding-Temp to internal or a different USB storage.

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

But since it's transcoding at 3.5x why would there be freezing?

USB command queue full/saturated.

4 hours ago, softworkz said:

USB command queue full/saturated.

Thanks, knew you were referring to some type of I/O issue just wanted to narrow it down if possible.

@gbballpack Can you tell us what type of USB device you currently have attached to your Shield TV?

Can you tell us how much free space you currently have on your Shield TV itself?

Do you have an additional USB storage device that could be used at least to test with that could be plugged into the Shield TV? If so what USB storage device?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...