Will upgrading Ubuntu Server from 18.04 to 20.04 remove Emby install

macarrizo

macarrizo

Greetings Embydians!

A couple years ago, this happened: 

I'm using the same hardware and the same install since the linked post above. I've done all the Emby (4.4.3.0) and Ubuntu updates (18.04.5 LTS). I've had 0 issues in the last 2 years running 24/7/365, only rebooting when required by an OS update. That's outstanding, great job Emby team (and Canonical)! I am thinking of upgrading from Ubuntu Server 18.04 to 20.04 but I don't want to reinstall Emby again. Has anybody tried this upgrade recently and seen the described behavior in my 2 year old post?

Thanks

Hi, hopefully not. One user did report something like this recently but it doesn't appear to be happening to everyone.

838Joel
3 hours ago, macarrizo said:

Greetings Embydians!

A couple years ago, this happened: 

I'm using the same hardware and the same install since the linked post above. I've done all the Emby (4.4.3.0) and Ubuntu updates (18.04.5 LTS). I've had 0 issues in the last 2 years running 24/7/365, only rebooting when required by an OS update. That's outstanding, great job Emby team (and Canonical)! I am thinking of upgrading from Ubuntu Server 18.04 to 20.04 but I don't want to reinstall Emby again. Has anybody tried this upgrade recently and seen the described behavior in my 2 year old post?

Thanks

I did the upgrade and all went fine!

• 1 month later...
macarrizo

Quick follow up. I just now upgraded from Ubuntu Server 18.04.5 to 20.04.1 and I'm happy to report it was without incident. I don't know why I lost everything when I upgraded from 16.04 to 18.04, but this time it worked like a charm. Could it be that last time, I didn't wait until the release of 18.04.1 and the upgrade process was buggy? I guess I'll never know.

Thank you for a rock solid product. I just wish everything in my life was this reliable lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, macarrizo said:

Quick follow up. I just now upgraded from Ubuntu Server 18.04.5 to 20.04.1 and I'm happy to report it was without incident. I don't know why I lost everything when I upgraded from 16.04 to 18.04, but this time it worked like a charm. Could it be that last time, I didn't wait until the release of 18.04.1 and the upgrade process was buggy? I guess I'll never know.

Thank you for a rock solid product. I just wish everything in my life was this reliable lol.

Thanks for the feedback!

I will go the same way soon.