Remote Connection Issues

CathMowr

CathMowr

Dear fellow Embians,

another day, another connection issue thread. I really didn't want to post this thread because there are already so many like this one but I am running out of ideas and couldn't find any suggestions that solved my problem.

Long story short, I am having troubles connecting to my Emby Server from outside the network. It doesn't work at all, never did. 

Please be gentle with me because prior to fiddling around with my NAS and the Emby Server I had no knowledge concerning networks at all, so please assume I am dumb as a rock while explaining things to me.

I will try to sum up what I did so far. Emby is running on a Synology DS218, I admin this stuff via a Mac Pro running OSX 10.13.6 and a MacBook Air running 10.15.6. Emby Server is up to date, NAS is up to date.

- I read the connection troubleshooter. Probably 10 times.

- I checked out my modem settings.

- I called my ISP to set back my modem/router (Unity Connect Box) to IPV4 because there was no port forwarding option with IPV6.

- I forwarded the port manually. Then I saw that UPnP already automatically did that. Then I deleted the manual port forward again. The automatic one is still active.

605104600_Screenshot2020-08-09at11_51_06.png.55946cb959ee6f276694f821a4019f31.png

- I checked canyouseeme.org to see if my port is open and yes it is. 

- Checked on my phone (while having W-Lan turned of) if I can connect via the WAN adress in the browser bar and via the Emby app. Connection failed.

- I turned of the firewall on my router. Connection failed.

- I restarted the Emby, NAS and the router. Connection failed.

- I checked if the WAN connection Emby shows me is the same like in my router. It is. I checked if I allow remote connections in Emby. I do. I checked if I auto portmap. I do.

- I ran out of ideas. Another side info : I installed Synologys DS Audio on my phone and Audio Station on the NAS to see if i could connect via the native apps of the manufacturer. It worked. 

That's all i can think of at the moment, please let me know if there is more information i can give you to solve my problem. If i posted this in the wrong thread please let me know, I wasn't exactly sure where to put it.

Thanks in advance, there will be more where this came from.

Hi, do you have Synology quick connect running? You could try turning that off if you do.

CathMowr

Xxx.xxx.xxx - Same thing as the WAN Address in Emby/same thing my Router shows as WAN address/same thing canyouseeme.org shows when I check the port (open).

When I turn on my VPN it shows me something else, as it should be.

But as far as I understand Emby shouldn't be affected by the VPN because it runs on the NAS and the VPN on my admin machine.

Edited by CathMowr
Security

Looks fine. I had a lot of problem connecting remotely to my Emby server on my Synology at the beginning because my Indonesian ISP gives me a IP starting with 10.xxx.xxx.xxx most of the time. I fixed my problem by repeatedly re-booting my router until I got an open IP (in my case one beginning with 36.xxx.xxx.xxx), making sure my TCP port on my router was correctly configured for port forwarding on 8096 and using a DDNS service (noip.com). It took me a while, but once sorted all has been good.

CathMowr

Like I described above I already tried to root out a couple of possible issues. 

My router does not get a new IP after rebooting - as far as i understand - and I do not know why i should need a DDNS Service. As far as I understood a dynamic DNS would be counterproductive for my cause?

CathMowr

If my service provider blocks the ports, why does canyouseeme.org verify they are open? Isn't that the point of this service?I did a Scan with the OSX Network Scanner too and this is what it

Edited by CathMowr
Added another clarification

Even though it might not help, it's worth trying a DDNS, just to see if it makes any difference. It's free and takes a few seconds to setup on your NAS. When I had my problems I also found I hadn't setup my port forwarding correctly. On my modem it now looks like this:

Screenshot-2020-08-13-101047.jpg

Previously I had been entering a WAN start and end address, which was wrong.

I'm sure you've done all this before. I understand how crazy it can drive you, as I had the same stuff going on for a long time.

CathMowr
12 hours ago, Luke said:

And there's no problem inside your network, right?

No, not at all.

Can you forward the advice @kaj gave me? I am willing to try but I am a bit skeptic (no offense) and don't want to worsen the situation.

Edited by CathMowr

CBers

Perhaps @cayars can do a remote TeamViewer session with you to help, when he's available. 

Edited by CBers

CathMowr

That would be great. I already thought about hitting him up because he seems to know a lot about that stuff but I didn't want to bother him directly.

But if yes, I am available again at 19:00 (CET, GMT + 2) because work. If that's not an option I'd be available tomorrow from 17:00 or Sunday for the whole day.

2 hours ago, CathMowr said:

No, not at all.

Can you forward the advice @kaj gave me? I am willing to try but I am a bit skeptic (no offense) and don't want to worsen the situation.

Completely understand. I went through months of trying to get external access working, countless modem reboots, resets etc etc....and really the main culprit was a combination of me not really knowing what I was doing plus a very restrictive ISP (Indonesia's internet is not the most open in the world). Using a DDNS service was an important part of the solution (for me), as was correcting my earlier mistakes I had made when setting up port forwarding. I wish you good luck :)

5 hours ago, CBers said:

Perhaps @cayars can do a remote TeamViewer session with you to help, when he's available. 

4 hours ago, CathMowr said:

That would be great. I already thought about hitting him up because he seems to know a lot about that stuff but I didn't want to bother him directly.

But if yes, I am available again at 19:00 (CET, GMT + 2) because work. If that's not an option I'd be available tomorrow from 17:00 or Sunday for the whole day.

Two of my favorite environments in one shot (Mac & NAS) LOL.

@CathMowr send me a PM with a link back to this thread and we can arrange a time to do a TeamViewer session.  If you can give me a time in Eastern Daylight Time that would be great.

Carlo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CathMowr

I am sorry @cayars but the PM tells me that you cannot receive messages. Too many people like me spamming you?

Edited by CathMowr
I tagged someone but don't know why and how. Lol.

2 hours ago, CathMowr said:

I am sorry @cayars but the PM tells me that you cannot receive messages. Too many people like me spamming you?

Hi CathMowr, sorry about that, I just cleared out a bunch of message so I have room again.

Can you try PMing me again?

Thank you

Got a chance to spend a few minutes with @CathMowr and we got him setup.

He was doing everything correct but his router is doing port forwarding of 8096 on it's own.  We turned off UPnP, rebooted both the NAS and the router and it still port forwards 8096 incorrectly with ZERO port forward entries in the router.

So we setup forwarding of port  8097 instead and now it works.

Found out it's CathMowr's birthday today as well so again Happy Birthday!

Carlo

• Like 2

CathMowr

Problem solved. I want to give a freaking big shoutout to @cayars who sat down with me for 45 minutes and stared at my settings even if he hates my OS. Thanks thanks thanks. Give this man all the cookies he wants. What a legend.

LOL, was 45 minutes for you but I did other stuff while you were rebooting and doing things between the two sessions. :)

Bugger was trying to figure out where port 8096 was being redirected to that made no sense, still doesn't.