Apple TV/iOS Emby apps call mtalk.google.com?

A32
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

Hi,

First time here :)

I’m trying Emby and my AdGuard shows mtalk.google.com DNS query logs ever time I start Emby on my ATV or iPad. It keeps on showing up while using the Emby app!

Anyone knows why?

• Solution

OpenDNS queries... More reliable DNS that will locate Emby endpoints accurately and aren't as vulnerable to censors.

Edited by speechles

Thank you. I’ve seen that particular thread when searching for the subject. Still, why Emby tries to resolve mtalk.google.com very often?

I don’t know what’s it doing with it, all I know is that it’s resolving it many times while I’m watching something using Emby on my iPad or ATV.

Here's something from the pi-hole forum: 

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/android-phones-home-to-mtalk-google-com/16217

We don't try to resolve it directly. It's probably happening internally on the system as a result of trying to resolve our own domains.

Actually i wonder if it could be for push notifications, which we are using google firebase for. Your emby server will send real-time notifications of events to the apps so that they can refresh their user interface dynamically.

It stays blocked until I see that I can’t use Emby without it, then I’ll decide what to do.

My preference is to avoid anything google.

Thanks again 🙂

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The latest iOS Emby update brought with it another google service that my AdGuard started blocking by itself.

firebaselogging-pa.googleapis.com

Anyone knows what’s this for?

We use google's push notification service so that your emby server can notify the device of events and then the Emby app can react to them in real-time.

This is calling out from my iPad’s Emby client not the server. Anyways, it’s blocked.

I wish you can find something other than google. If I wanted spyware I would’ve purchased a lifetime pass for Plex not Emby :)

It's not spyware. It's so that your emby server can send information to your iOS device in realtime. It uses google's push notification service, which yes, may send requests to that domain. Blocking it may cause some features to not work properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not saying that Emby is trying to spy on me. I’m saying that Google will try to make use of any info that gets sent to them.

I’ll leave it blocked until something breaks. So far with my limited use (no remote users), everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks

• Like 2