Feature Request - Better Audio and Subtitle Descriptions

MajesticMaerlyn
Go to solution Solved by neik,

MajesticMaerlyn

Hi,

Sincere apologies in advance if this has been asked before - I did do a search and went back 5 pages, so again, apologies if I missed this one.

Firstly, embedded subtitles only display "LANGUAGE (DVDSUB)" for all embedded subtitles.
Secondly, when there is multiple audio sources Emby lists them in the drop down menu, again, with only the primary language. 

For languages with different dialects (eg Chinese) this becomes an issue, as you can't distinguish which is which without guessing or trying each out. 

In my example, Fist of Fury, it contains audio tracks for English, Chinese (Mandarin) and Chinese (Cantonese), and subtitles that specifically match the dialect.
Emby only displays simply "English, Chinese, Chinese" for the audio tracks, and "English (DVDSUB)" for all three subtitle variants. This means you have to guess which goes with which.
Media Player Classic does a good job showing it in an user digestible form. 

I have included screenshots of how Emby vs Media Player Classic handle the same file, and a text file with media details if that helps at all.

And once again, apologies if I have missed an existing thread about this or previous answer. Just keen to make the best platform better :)

Audio.PNG

Subtitles.PNG

player1.PNG

player2.PNG

Fist of Fury (1972).txt

• Solution
neik

Go to libraries -> Advanced and set "Prefer embedded titles" under "Embedded track title display".

I think that should help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MajesticMaerlyn

Yep, just ran one now.

That is definitely much better, even it its more jargon based. 

Thanks for that. Its a shame we can't have a middle ground - its all or nothing :)

Guessing this can be closed / ignored unless Emby wanted to look at tweaking the friendly further, but that may be hard.

Thanks again 

FrostByte

If your files are mkv you can change just the headers (no need to remux) to reflect whatever you want using mkvtoolnix., then just refresh that movie.  Takes maybe 30 seconds per movie

Emby will still add the language, but everything after that is whatever you wish it to be

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

MajesticMaerlyn

Does anyone know, can this be done per Library, or is a global setting?

Cheers :)