emby App Playback Issue on TiVo Stream 4K

kubev

Didn't you say even forcing a transcode with a bitrate conversion didn't solve the issue?  Did you try playback correction multiple times?

28 minutes ago, ebr said:

Didn't you say even forcing a transcode with a bitrate conversion didn't solve the issue?  Did you try playback correction multiple times?

Yes, you're correct in that the bitrate conversion didn't solve the issue. Also, I mentioned earlier that I tried a low-ish quality DVD rip in the form of Ernest Saves Christmas, and it had the same flicker issue.

Regarding Playback Correction, it's interesting, as I did previously give that a shot, but I received an error stating that there were too many errors and that it was giving up. That said, I just gave Playback Correction another shot, and it doesn't error out as it did previously, but it doesn't fix the flicker issue.

21 hours ago, kubev said:

I've sideloaded it, and it exhibits the same problem as the Android TV version.

What version do you have installed?

24 minutes ago, Luke said:

What version do you have installed?

emby for Android TV: 1.8.10g

emby for Android Mobile: 3.1.26 (sideloaded)

This really "feels" like a device/hardware issue and my gut says it is frame rate related but I'm not sure how we can diagnose that.  Do you have any content at 30fps?

26 minutes ago, ebr said:

This really "feels" like a device/hardware issue and my gut says it is frame rate related but I'm not sure how we can diagnose that.  Do you have any content at 30fps?

I do, actually. Some YouTubers I know did a live stream of them watching Rogue One, and I downloaded the VOD via Patreon. It was encoded at 30 fps, but I overlaid my own copy of Rogue One on top of their blurred footage and re-rendered the entire thing, keeping the higher 30 fps frame rate of the stream. I'm roughly ten minutes into watching it via the emby app thus far, and I haven't seen the flicker issue yet. That said, content played through other apps (such as Prime Video) doesn't have the flicker issue, and I suspect that much of that content is still 23.98. If it's a frame rate issue, then it still seems as though it's somehow limited to emby.

EDIT: I did a Google search for "tivo stream 4k emby" and came up with the following reddit post:

It's two months old, but it at least shows that someone else was having this issue. Also, I was reading up on some issues that the TiVo Stream 4K has with Plex, and it does sound as though the TiVo Stream 4K lacks the ability to handle certain functions within Plex.

Edited by kubev
Added Reddit Link

12 hours ago, kubev said:

content played through other apps (such as Prime Video) doesn't have the flicker issue, and I suspect that much of that content is still 23.98.

I don't know for a fact but I would imagine any large streaming service is delivering their content already frame-rate matched to the target device - exactly to avoid issues like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ebr said:

I don't know for a fact but I would imagine any large streaming service is delivering their content already frame-rate matched to the target device - exactly to avoid issues like this.

Good point, though I suppose it's also possible that the respective apps are compensating by adding frames as needed to support the frame rate(s) supported (or allowed) by the hardware.  I've tried researching this, and some people do claim that they're able to play back content from Netflix and whatnot at 24 fps, but it's a matter of whether their TV or media box or whatever provides a setting for it. In either case, since the TiVo Stream 4K doesn't seem to allow anything other than 60 fps (or presumably multiples of 30), is there some way the emby app can address this?

Does your TV have any settings relating to this?  This would include any fancy brand-name processing like "smooth stream" technology, etc.  If so, try turning those off first and then try any other settings that may be related.

7 hours ago, ebr said:

Does your TV have any settings relating to this?  This would include any fancy brand-name processing like "smooth stream" technology, etc.  If so, try turning those off first and then try any other settings that may be related.

If you're referring Auto Motion Plus, which I believe makes everything look like a soap opera, then I do already have stuff like that turned off. I'm pretty sure that's the only setting related to frame rate on my Samsung KS8000.