Crashes to "home"

theflyingfool

theflyingfool

When trying to navigate to some shows the roku app quits back to the roku home.

What I've tested:

* Remove roku app and reinstall

* remove the device from devices in the server 

Neither of these worked

* switch users on roku app

- This stopped the app from crashing and worked fine.

Attached images are from the user not workingimage.png.14ae3dc45bbbf5355f946f6859e14ef7.png

image.thumb.png.ed69941d2aacdcb3fe75a444c1f0f02f.png

image.png.bdbd26e1bafeaf3f19bfd0eff8e0d5d2.pngimage.thumb.png.d6a0fa30e25a0c89038cece2d87d457b.png

embyserver.txt

Roku App Version: 4.0.4

Emby Server Version: 4.4.3.0

Which version of the application are you using?

Does this happen with the Emby Beta for Roku ?

Can you explain the steps required to reproduce? Just a roadmap to how you got to the crash. Sort of like..start at homescreen, enter tv library, go to first tab at top shows, enter shows and go to grid and enter a series..crash..

Are you entering the Live TV section when the crash occurs?

Edited by speechles

theflyingfool

I was using 4.0.4

I have now had a chance to try the beta, and had no change in behavior

Open Emby starts on home screen > scroll down to Next up, select next boston legal episode, crash to roku home screen

OR

Open Emby start on home screen > TV Shows > Shows > Boston Legal > Play next episode, crash to roku

Same as above selecting a random episode also crashs

I know I've had issues with a few other shows, but that is the only one I'm 100% sure does it.

I don't have Live TV enabled.

What is interesting or different about that show?  This is likely due to some piece of metadata that is missing that the app isn't handling properly.

Happy2Play

Does the same thing happen in the web client?  This almost sounds metadata related.

theflyingfool
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Does the same thing happen in the web client?  This almost sounds metadata related.

Does not happen in web client OR emby theater.

3 minutes ago, ebr said:

What is interesting or different about that show?  This is likely due to some piece of metadata that is missing that the app isn't handling properly.

I'll do a metadata refresh on the show and see if it resolves as far as I know nothing is different about that show.

theflyingfool
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

refreshing metadata on this show corrected the issue.

• Like 1

Would have been great to know what got changed.  If you happen to come across another show like this let us know before you update the metadata.

This way we can get a pre & post metadata view. Could be something simple that could be coded around to handle lacking data.

Yes, we need to know what the item is that caused this.  Also, can you confirm the version of the Roku app you are running?  It is shown on the app settings page.

theflyingfool
10 hours ago, cayars said:

Would have been great to know what got changed.  If you happen to come across another show like this let us know before you update the metadata.

This way we can get a pre & post metadata view. Could be something simple that could be coded around to handle lacking data.

I will attempt to find another show today, I know I ran into a second one at one time but can't recall what it was.

10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes, we need to know what the item is that caused this.  Also, can you confirm the version of the Roku app you are running?  It is shown on the app settings page.

Not to be rude, but not only did my original post have this information, I also proceeded to provide it in my first reply.

Is it the runtime? I can start to deduce where it is and start to build a defense against that part. I assume runtime is going to be a major issue when missing.

@theflyingfool When you experience the issue again please give us the "Media Info" section of the web app. This is at the bottom of that items detail page.

Because we have not fixed the issue and can only guess at the cause it can/will happen again. Please if you can help us identify the problem. Thanks and apologies for the issue. We expect certain data to always return from the server. That is our mistake and we can correct it. We just need to see where the mistakes are being made. Thanks again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theflyingfool said:

Not to be rude, but not only did my original post have this information, I also proceeded to provide it in my first reply.

Hi.  Your first post said 4.0.4 which is the standard release but then we asked you to try the beta and you said you did and the problem was still there but never confirmed the version of the app after you said you installed the beta.  I just want to be sure you are actually running the beta version because we know of an issue like this that is fixed in it.

Thanks.

theflyingfool
5 minutes ago, speechles said:

Is it the runtime? I can start to deduce where it is and start to build a defense against that part. I assume runtime is going to be a major issue when missing.

@theflyingfool When you experience the issue again please give us the "Media Info" section of the web app. This is at the bottom of that items detail page.

Because we have not fixed the issue and can only guess at the cause it can/will happen again. Please if you can help us identify the problem. Thanks and apologies for the issue. We expect certain data to always return from the server. That is our mistake and we can correct it. We just need to see where the mistakes are being made. Thanks again.

I've found another item.

I assume this is what your looking for:image.thumb.png.50173eb25a984f85756a9782956ed708.png

On the off chance you think it has to do with multiple versions, I only have a single version of any boston legal episode, example of one that wasn't working:

image.thumb.png.5c3f5a20b2c8fe2949d6a7b095a8abc4.png

6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Your first post said 4.0.4 which is the standard release but then we asked you to try the beta and you said you did and the problem was still there but never confirmed the version of the app after you said you installed the beta.  I just want to be sure you are actually running the beta version because we know of an issue like this that is fixed in it.

Thanks.

My apologies request was unclear. I may have been slightly annoyed, the request because the very first reply I got asked the same question.

Batman Beyond has issues in both 4.0.4 and 4.0.8

Runtime is mysteriously and noticeably absent. Usually a culprit of the item still copying over as Emby "noticed and ingested it". Aspect ratio on some are curious but that shouldn't throw the Roku until it attempts to play them. I bet it is the runtime in some form expected to exist. I can find the cause of that part. Hopefully that is all this is. Thank you for taking the time to give us clues to give us better direction. We will do our best to prevent this in the future. We will have something soon.

Until then you can run a "REFRESH" on that item on the items detail page within the Roku app. That will give it a runtime. You may not even be able to get to that point because before you get there it crashes. In that case you will need us to prevent the crash so you can get to that refresh button and click it. This is the expected work flow. You will be able to do this again soon.

Also.. Items without runtimes will ALWAYS TRANSCODE because they are seen as live streams with missing runtime on the Roku. It will transcode to produce a seekable stream in this case. Once you refresh and gain a runtime it will properly use capabilities detected on the Roku.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

theflyingfool

@speechles I'm not sure that's accurate. as you'll see below no runtime showing in web app, direct playing on a roku.

I have NOT refreshed batman beyond yet just in case you need me to look into something else

image.png.921a5e903021b88502aca71f8c55d263.png

image.thumb.png.c13acae837fcc36691926aa3280a5b7d.png

i BELIEVE my daughter to be using 4.0.4 in this case.  This is shown in the dashboard screenshot and I was correct.

Edited by theflyingfool
Correction.

The item is partially ingested. When you go to play the partially ingested item it(your Emby server) then creates the runtime. But if you go to the "detail" screen before this it grabs the playback info(to get version/audio/subtitle information on streams) just the same as if were going to play but isn't actually playing. This is what crashes it I believe is the attempt to pull the playback info that is missing runtime. When you actually play the item with the PLAY button before you get to the detail screen it should not crash but play the item.

Did you play these by pressing "play" on your remote directly on the item... or ...are you going to the detail screen and using the "play" button shown on the screen?

Edited by speechles

theflyingfool

I suppose I'm a tad confused, with all that, I would have thought media info through the web app should show the runtimes.(example Avatar, which was direct playing on a roku prior(and while) pulling the media info on the web app)

With Batman beyond on 4.0.4 & 4.0.8 I can not get to individual episode details, I can get to the show, but any attempt to play an episode or get to an episodes details cause crash to home.

@Luke where did runtime go? Is that not showing within the "Video" field of the items detail screen "Media Info" on the web app anymore? It gets hard to deduce what is missing when everything isn't shown. Ghosts. Hard to spot ghosts. Did runtime get removed long ago and I just missed the memo? Curious. Runtime is missing on all my things on the web app media info video section. Shouldn't that be exposed?

Edited by speechles

Hi.  On the episodes with the problem, do they show any cast/crew/guest stars?

What about after the refresh?

theflyingfool

I'm hesitant to do the refresh on Batman Beyond since having a known broken makes looking for information easier.

With Boston Legal I do have cast an crew showing, though the list looks shorter than I would expect.

Using the web client, for batman beyond I have issues w/ cast and crew

image.thumb.png.b6b5de7e22d7da5c5d4c3a022a589bec.png

Happy2Play

@speechles Hasn't runtime always been only at the top with the parental rating?  Looking back to 3.5.3.0 and did not see runtime in media info section.

info.thumb.jpg.035029e6e811943dd99a827ad7fdc517.jpg

45 minutes ago, theflyingfool said:

Using the web client, for batman beyond I have issues w/ cast and crew

The blank cast and crew is a know issue caused by TMDB deleting the image urls from their site that reside in your database.  But shouldn't cause the issue you are having or every Roku user should have the same issue.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/85812-artistsactors-images-disappeared-randomly/

TMDB Corrupt Image Fix Plugin for Windows 10

The blank names are very interesting there... We fixed a similar problem with the role being blank.

This has nothing to do with runtime.