Emby Android Mobile LATEST BETA SUBTITLE management

zyfinity

pwhodges

The ASS example looks much better now!  The subs are slightly smaller than my earlier comparisons, but pretty close now:

Screenshot_20200813_234023_com_mb.android.thumb.jpg.a0a41b55141d000b7dc048d848f707b0.jpg

But the "normal" size for SRT subs is still rather small:

Screenshot_20200813_234134_com_mb.android.thumb.jpg.cb0ea61344cfeda11a95be6db5f76f27.jpg

Overall, for me a clear improvement.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

zyfinity

Yep I did a test and it did look alot better but I believe the timing of the subs were a bit off (the subs go away quickly after someone finishes talking) although I will have to do a more thorough comparison when I get home.

pwhodges
9 hours ago, pwhodges said:

The ASS example looks much better now!  The subs are slightly smaller than my earlier comparisons, but pretty close now:

Actually, I've now done a couple of comparisons with MPV and VLC stand-alone players, and for ASS subs the match is exact.  In my earlier comparison, it was in fact the web client that was a little out, because it didn't use the font embedded in the video file (direct playing).

Paul

zyfinity

Hello, I have done a bunch of testing and have found a few bugs and ideas for potential improvements.

Show: (Re zero) 

Emby beta 3.1.27 (EXO player)

image.thumb.png.39dc8aeb2441a269236a34c71cc03fec.png

Emby stable 3.1.23 (MPV player)

image.thumb.png.7cd7df2d39bebb8f9ba0d8a6c3fa5594.png

Now this is a huge improvement from the previous beta but some new issues have risen.

Firstly, the font in the latest beta doesn't feel as "filling" with the text and looks much thinner compared to the font previously used. I think experimenting with different fonts would be key here to ensure a font that is nicer looking as it makes it much easier to read especially when people are watching content in another language and rely on the subs.

Secondly, it seems that the timing of the subs are off, by that i mean if you skip back and forth then the timing of the subs go off (for example you go back 5 seconds to rewatch a scene) 

Thirdly, this is just a minor inconvenience but would be awesome if it could be fixed, it seems that after clicking play it takes about 3 - 5 seconds to load in the subs which is sometimes annoying because dialogue starts at the very beginning in many episodes although i just need to go back 5 seconds and its loaded in so it would be great if the sub loading could be done before video playback starts?

Lastly, I am happy that you guys are making these improvements and are listening to our requests as since the EXO player change i have noticed much faster "scrubbing" times and I am also willing to test any more betas!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the subtitle font is open sans now, which is very popular. There aren't that many choices that support all of the languages that we need to support.

zyfinity

Hmm, is it possible to change the "boldness" of the font and if so would it be possible to add an option to change the boldness in the subtitle settings?

I'm not sure. I don't think we're including the bold version of the font in the app as it's already quite large to begin with. We can look at whether or not roboto would be possible.

zyfinity

Great, just wondering would it be possible at all to add more subtitle management options for ASS subs that are changeable for users to their liking?

• 2 weeks later...
zyfinity

Hello, for the past week i have been using the latest betas and have currently been testing on 3.1.30 and the subtitles playback seems to be pretty good! the minor problem i have faced is that if if i skip around the video sometimes it will just get stuck and will never load and even after exiting that episode and trying to playback again it won't start the playback unless if i completely exit the app and clear emby from RAM, the content being played is h264 1920x1080 content with stereo AAC audio and ASS subs and this issue has only happened on the android beta app.

3 hours ago, Riggs said:

OSD must be addressed when zooming, subtitle cannot be read, out of view range

Thanks

What subtitle format?