Emby Android Mobile LATEST BETA SUBTITLE management

zyfinity

zyfinity

Bello, I've noticed in the latest beta update that subs that used to be the perfect size and "styling" now looks smaller and different in terms of font, and the text is so small that its basically unusable, I've tested this with several shows with ASS subtitles and have compared the beta and non beta apps and there definitely is a big difference, if required I can upload some example screenshots showing the difference in font.

Have you explored the SUBTITLES menu under your profile on the Android device?  You can change the appearance from here.

pwhodges

I've noticed this too. 

Here's a comparison.  These subs are ASS, so should be well defined in terms of size and so on.  The first image is played on my Android using the beta, and the second on my desktop using MPV; the third, although it's scaled to fit my browser window, shows that the Emby web client matches the MPV rendering accurately, unlike the Android:

Screenshot_20200807_222848_com_mb.android.thumb.jpg.3fe394025aebdf81ce85d2fbaa4667e4.jpg

subsMPV.thumb.jpg.c26275e603e3b3f1812962ace6eddb52.jpg

subsweb.thumb.jpg.61a7afb200308355c37ce7e5c600481d.jpg

@cayars  The client settings are for SRT subs, and I haven't checked those yet.  This comparison is for ASS subs which the client settings shouldn't affect because they contain the presentation information within themselves.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul, nice clear example of the problem with those pics!

Edit: Have you tried the latest beta compared to released Android Mobile for comparison as well?

Edited by cayars

pwhodges

Here's a comparison using SRT subtitles.  First in MPV, second in Android with size set to "large", third in Android with size set to "normal".  Note that in both cases on the Android the vertical spacing is too large in comparison with the font size:

deathMPV.thumb.jpg.b117939d179382619af2c508981123cd.jpg

Screenshot_20200807_225704_com_mb.android.thumb.jpg.d252aed72a864f8b608c9d2fc24f87c5.jpg

Screenshot_20200807_225146_com_mb.android.thumb.jpg.ce8b53f4d97412c2cca67ab59f48c986.jpg

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

pwhodges
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

Have you tried the latest beta compared to released Android Mobile for comparison as well?

These are using 3.1.25.  I don't know how to go back on the Android...

But I noticed this change immediately - it's an appreciable difference.

Paul

• Thanks 1

You can always re-install from the play store but unless a dev needs comparison to the release version no need.  I was just personally coming up to speed on this and your info makes this very clear so thank you very much.  Pictures really help to emphasize things when talking about subs in general especially when you see comparisons like you provided!

zyfinity

Alright here are some examples i'll post.

(The before pics are on emby android mobile 3.1.23)

(The after pics are from emby beta android mobile on 3.1.25)

(Show : Re:zero)

Before:

image.thumb.png.433fd916a300fbc767c7b69fd0e7dec2.png

After: 

image.thumb.png.a8371cc33bf62a7d4fba7cfe7bb3552e.png

(Show: Fire force)

Before:

image.thumb.png.c4e4a25ec614b4ca04b9eeb286aed874.png

After:

image.thumb.png.8a33f8edd87d65bafa303c361ba77c14.png

As you can see the subs in the new update are much smaller and "thinner?" and this makes it much harder to read especially on mobile.

It would be great if we could have the subs closer to what it was previously or atleast have the option to change how we want them to look on our devices.

and @cayars unfortunately the subtitle options in the emby app don't actually apply to "ASS" format subs.

Thanks @zyfinity that pretty much goes along with what Paul showed as well.

That's something @ebr and team will have to take a look at and make adjustments in the new Exoplayer used in the beta.  Keep testing with any new beta releases and make sure this in known in this thread

so that it get's addressed, tracked and fixed for release.

zyfinity

Ahh, is there a reason the player was changed to exo? i hope that ASS direct play capability doesn't go away as another media server app uses exo player and does not have direct play for ASS subs.

Yes, because in order to meet the needs of feature Emby requirements there needs to be changes to the player.  Exo is easier to do this with and has more long term promise for the Emby eco system.  It can also be used across all the Android platforms (mobile, TV, auto, etc).

A dev would have to chime in with specifics but overall with some custom work the team felt it's the best player to use moving forward.

2 hours ago, zyfinity said:

Ahh, is there a reason the player was changed to exo? i hope that ASS direct play capability doesn't go away as another media server app uses exo player and does not have direct play for ASS subs.

It will not go away. It will still direct play.

pwhodges

I'm amused that zyfinity and I both used examples from the same show :)

Paul

• Like 1

zyfinity
17 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I'm amused that zyfinity and I both used examples from the same show :)

Paul

Haha yeah I noticed it when watching the latest re zero episode.

zyfinity

@Luke Please let me know when you are testing different settings with subtitle controls (ASS) and I will test and provide my results/feedback with any changes in the app!

zyfinity
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Please try 3.1.26. Thanks.

Is this available through the beta channel of Google play? Because it doesn't seem to be updating, is there an APK I could try instead?

pwhodges

The copy here has been updated.  I've just downloaded it, but not yet pushed it to my Android to try - literally what I'm doing next!

Paul

zyfinity

@Luke I just tried it and it seems that the subs are very large right now. Here is a screenshot of the same scene as the comparison shots I sent earlier, there also seems to be a large distance between the lines. 

Screenshot_2020-08-11-10-39-21-637_com.mb.android.jpg

Edited by zyfinity

pwhodges

Um, we're getting different results...  Here's mine, also for the same scene as before:

Screenshot_20200810_234028_com_mb.android.thumb.jpg.adfb102e25ab3685b110d5ac134df91a.jpg

That seems a bit extreme to me!

Paul

PS - I forgot to trim the letterboxing bars.

Edited by pwhodges

zyfinity

Hmm, are you using the horriblesubs release and what device is that, personally I was using a Xiaomi Poco F1

pwhodges

The release is Judas, and the device is Huawei MediaPad 5; but we had pretty similar results before, so it's odd that the change is not so similar when we're both using the same files as before.

I've also tried my example with SRT subtitles, but the display of those has not changed.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges