Nvidia Shield TV or Pro for 4K Movies?

JulesC

JulesC

Looking for recommendations on Nvidia Shield TV vs Nvidia Shield TV Pro to play 4K movies from my Emby server?

Please look over my setup and let me know which device would work best. No gaming will be required - movies and internet only. I’ve seen some posts where users are experiencing buffering issues and just wanted to confirm this device would work for my setup. 

Let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you 

Here is my setup:

4K UHD Movies: ripped using MKV (no transcoding)

Emby Server: Windows 10 PC - i5-2500k cpu @3.30 GHz

Samsung Smart 4K UHD TV: 50-inch LCD (LED) 4K UHD TV from Samsung, with 2160p resolution, and a claimed 120-hertz refresh rate

Network: devices are Ethernet/CAT5 connected (home LAN)

Edited by JulesC

FrostByte

The Pro, especially if your 4K movies are mostly remuxes .  You probably read this thread about the tube being only 32-bit with less memory and has some issues streaming high bitrate 4K movies.  

How are you hooking the Shield to your TV?  I have a similar setup, but with a soundbar between my TV and the Shield.  Otherwise you will need to transcode or convert your HD audio to something the Samsung TV supports.

My setup

Shield Pro (HDMI 1) / XB1X (HDMI 2)   -->  Samsung Q90 Soundbar (ARC) -->  Samsung Qled TV

I've never experienced a problem playing 4K remuxes with HD audio with the Pro

• Like 1

JulesC

@FrostByte thank you for your response. 

Yes, my newer movies are 4K remuxes  and I’m connecting the Shield device to my 4K TV. I forgot to mention that I have a Bose Solo soundbar as well. 

So it sounds like the Pro would be my best option. 

I’m assuming I should use at CAT 5e Ethernet cable and 2.1 HDMI cable - Right?

Let  me know if you have any other tips or suggestions. Thanks again 

Edited by JulesC

FrostByte

I think your set with pro, unfortunately you probably won't get HD audio when connected directly to the TV

vdatanet

I have an Nvidia Shield TV (Tube). I play UHD remux files like this, without problems:

1071712970_Anotacin2020-08-07111042.jpg.4d97aa9e393de618ede57c7895ed826b.jpg

The device is powerful enough to play those files, I can't understand why other user have issues. Yes, it's 32 bit and only 2 Gb RAM but I think that is enough to play all kinds of content. 

The problem must be something with the firmware in specific scenarios. But the truth is that many users have problems, perhaps it is better not to risk and choose the Pro model. I took a risk and it worked for me.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

I believe the issues identified with the tube version have been tracked down to a memory leak in the firmware so an update from Nvidia may make that a suitable box.

• Like 1

JulesC

Thanks to all for your input. I plan to start with the Pro for the 4K TV in our media area. I’ll check out the Tube for the TVs in our other rooms (i.e. bedroom). 

FYI - I can play 4K remux movies using the Emby app on our LG TV, but I have to tune down the audio and video to make it work. The video appears to be a little washed out. 

• Like 1

vdatanet
22 minutes ago, JulesC said:

Thanks to all for your input. I plan to start with the Pro for the 4K TV in our media area. I’ll check out the Tube for the TVs in our other rooms (i.e. bedroom). 

FYI - I can play 4K remux movies using the Emby app on our LG TV, but I have to tune down the audio and video to make it work. The video appears to be a little washed out. 

If video is washed out, server may be transcoding. Post your transcoding log to see the transcoding reason.

arrbee99

Excuse dumb questions, but what does 'I have to tune down the audio and video to make it work' mean ?

Also, I thought that doing anything to 4K movies, like remuxing them, killed any hdr type stuff. Am I (as usual) incorrect ?

FrostByte

I think it only washes out if transcoding.  I'm pretty sure I've done some direct streaming and my TV still triggers HDR.  However, I do my best to always Direct Play so I make sure I select compatible tracks first.

JulesC maybe we should be looking at why it's transcoding on the LG and/or Samsung TV first before you pull the trigger on the Shield.  If you aren't going to hook the Shield directly to a sound system that plays HD audio I don't know if the Shield will benefit you that much.  Unless you just like the ATV app

The LG and Samsung apps should both direct play 4K movies as long as you choose a lossy sound track before playing.  

• Like 1

JulesC
1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

I think it only washes out if transcoding.  I'm pretty sure I've done some direct streaming and my TV still triggers HDR.  However, I do my best to always Direct Play so I make sure I select compatible tracks first.

JulesC maybe we should be looking at why it's transcoding on the LG and/or Samsung TV first before you pull the trigger on the Shield.  If you aren't going to hook the Shield directly to a sound system that plays HD audio I don't know if the Shield will benefit you that much.  Unless you just like the ATV app

The LG and Samsung apps should both direct play 4K movies as long as you choose a lossy sound track before playing.  

CORRECTION: I can play any remux 4K movie (no server transcoding required) using the Emby app on my LG TV, but I have to drop down the audio to AC3 5.1 to make it work. Video works fine. On a separate Smart TV (ie bedroom) this setup would be ok, but not for our main media TV. Hence, the need for the Shield Pro and soundbar. Sorry for any confusion  

Does anyone have suggestions for 4K soundbars? I know @FrostByte is using the - Samsung Q90Soundbar (ARC) 

@FrostByte I plan on hooking the Shield Pro into a soundbar for better audio. Thanks for the suggestion. 

JulesC
5 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Excuse dumb questions, but what does 'I have to tune down the audio and video to make it work' mean ?

Also, I thought that doing anything to 4K movies, like remuxing them, killed any hdr type stuff. Am I (as usual) incorrect ?

@arrbee99 as I mentioned in my last response, I only have to change audio to play 4K remux using Emby app on LG TV. 

I remux (rip) 4K UHD movies using MakeMKV and they play very well. Hope this helps. 

arrbee99

I also use MakeMKV. What do you do for remuxing ? Isn't remuxing something to do with changing containers ? I just rip to MKV while chucking non-English language tracks.

I think mine play ok with HDR on a 2017 Shield, but if they have Atmos then I have to lower the sound to 5.1 or the picture is a blocky disaster area. Or at least I assume its Atmos causing that. Actually, I think it was some bug thing mentioned here

Was also wondering, if you have Shield > Sound bar > TV wouldn't that kill HDR unless you have a sound bar that will pass though HDR to the TV.

Not to sidetrack his, but arrbee99 check out Xmedia Recode for transcoding or remuxing as it has a great UI and gives you full control over track selection, container, etc.  I much prefer it over MakeMKV, Handbrake, and similar tools.

arrbee99

Thanks. I've had a quick look but so far it seems to be mostly for converting between formats, and I don't do a lot of that. I just rip and save. I usually compress blurays. For audio I keep the English stuff but leave the format as is.

JulesC
On 8/7/2020 at 10:45 PM, arrbee99 said:

I also use MakeMKV. What do you do for remuxing ? Isn't remuxing something to do with changing containers ? I just rip to MKV while chucking non-English language tracks.

I think mine play ok with HDR on a 2017 Shield, but if they have Atmos then I have to lower the sound to 5.1 or the picture is a blocky disaster area. Or at least I assume its Atmos causing that. Actually, I think it was some bug thing mentioned here

Was also wondering, if you have Shield > Sound bar > TV wouldn't that kill HDR unless you have a sound bar that will pass though HDR to the TV.

@arrbee99 here is a definition for “Remux” that I hope is helpful. “remux is a rip of a 4K Blu-ray or HD DVD disc to another container format or just stripping the disc of menus and bonus material while keeping the contents of its audio and video streams intact (also keeping the current codecs), guaranteeing the exact 1:1 movie quality as on original disc.”  I personally keep my 4K UHD rips in the .MKV container to maintain the best movie quality. I keep Forced Subtitles if needed, but no special feature materials. 

I ordered the Sonos Arc Soundbar (which is on backorder everywhere). From my research, the proposed connection is Nvidia Shield TV Pro > 4K supported Soundbar > 4K TV and folks appear to be very pleased with the audio quality. 
I’ll share my learnings once my soundbar arrives and I get it all connected and configured. 

• Like 2

> 4K TV and folks appear to be very pleased with the audio quality. 
I’ll share my learnings once my soundbar arrives and I get it all connected and configured. 

Great, thanks !