10 bit H265 HEVC Not direct streaming on some Roku devices

pcm2a

I have six Roku devices and Emby is powered by a Synology DS216+. On three of the Rokus media files that are encoded with 10 bit H265 HEVC will not direct stream. This results in transcoding on the server. When this happens the CPU spikes to 100% and you end up with regular buffering. Is it possible for these devices to support 10 bit HEVC? The only common denominator that I see is the devices that don't work are 1080p and the devices that work are 4k. The media is 1080p, bitrate of 2Mbps.

Doesn't work: maxstreamingbitrate=35000000
TCL 49S325, Roku 8115X
Error: CodecValidation: Codec does not support profile 'Main 10 Profile'

TCL 40FS3800, Roku 5110X

Roku Stick 3600X

Works: maxstreamingbitrate=35000000
TCL 75S425, Roku 7137X
TCL 49S405, Roku 7104X
Roku 4, 4400X, Check Connection

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 11.36.46 AM.png

Edited by pcm2a

You really want to avoid 10 bit HEVC files for 1080 video as a lot of older non 4K devices won't have support for it. 10 bit is pretty common with 4K so you would expect coverage in those devices.

pwhodges

10-bit is almost universal in recent anime HEVC 1080p or even 720p encodes.  I could say that it's a case of "mine's bigger than yours", but actually it's more likely a response to the now-universal use of computers for colouring (even if it's not full CGI) which leads to very smooth gradients which show banding a lot worse than live film does.  That's the reason I use it, anyway ;)

Paul

Thanks for that detail. If all content eventually goes that way, I guess I will have two 1080p Roku tvs that will have some 4k roku stick in the back powering it. Roku device plugged into a Roku tv...funny.

pwhodges

Or maybe a future Roku firmware update could address it; that depends on how much spare processing capacity is designed in, I guess.

Paul

1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

10-bit is almost universal in recent anime HEVC 1080p or even 720p encodes.  I could say that it's a case of "mine's bigger than yours", but actually it's more likely a response to the now-universal use of computers for colouring (even if it's not full CGI) which leads to very smooth gradients which show banding a lot worse than live film does.  That's the reason I use it, anyway ;)

Paul

Yep true and won't play on most older equipment either. :)

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Have you checked to see if your devices support 10-bit hevc?

How do you check this on a Roku device?

3 minutes ago, pcm2a said:

It would just be a matter of checking the device's supported media formats, although i don't know if Roku publishes that only generally or individual for each device.

2 hours ago, pcm2a said:

We read the capabilities directly from the device. The server must be making a determination somewhere that "error" you see. There is no such limitation in the Roku capabilities profile. Everything in that profile is read directly from the device. There is no specifications chart to determine this. Roku has only made a generic "here is what all devices support". Roku does not mention what each device supports individually. It isn't necessary they do either. The device reports what it can playback directly to the app. The app then gives this information to the server to discern how to best present it.

The fact it isn't directstream means it was not eligible for it on those Roku devices. The HEVC codec is only supported on Roku devices that support 4K even when hooked up to any display resolution. There are a few Roku models that cannot downscale. You need to check the "stats for nerds" within the Roku app on each of those models. Take a picture of the screen when playing on each Roku with stats for nerds enabled. Show us that picture. That will give us better information on why it is not direct streaming. 

We can only guess otherwise. There are many variables that can cause transcoding.

...and the real answer...

This is a limitation of the Roku device. Not a limitation of the app. We are doing the right thing on those devices and transcoding to produce a playable stream. Only 4K Roku can directstream HEVC. Non 4K devices do not have the HEVC codec installed on them.

Edited by speechles

• 4 months later...
mjpeterson29

Devices that cannot support 4K usually will not support HEVC.  Make sure the device you're on is 4K-compatible.  I've tried similar files (HEVC 10-bit 1080p) and I have no problems on any of the Rokus that support 4K.  Also, I think your audio track (AAC 5.1) will get downconverted to AAC 2.0.  I find it's best to just stick with H264 AC3 5.1 for the best compatibility.