New Xeon CPU question

Tony Wild Card

Tony Wild Card

Hi there :)

Thinking of buying a new Xeon CPU with 8 physical cores with 2.4Ghz each, but would more cores help speed up buffering and transcoding more, or just make more streams possible?

Edited by Tony Wild Card

Hi, it really depends, but in some cases yes the additional cores can help with individual streams.

Sammy

At that price point you're better off with a Threadripper or save some money and get a Ryzen 3700x or 3900x.

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

Thats a 2012 vintage Xeon with a low(ish) passmark score compared to todays CPU's

but depends where you are currently coming from and what you current motherboard will support

Q-Droid
Just now, PenkethBoy said:

Thats a 2012 vintage Xeon with a low(ish) passmark score compared to todays CPU's

but depends where you are currently coming from and what you current motherboard will support

I was thinking the same.

Is this for a drop-in CPU replacement or a system build? Those passmark numbers are in the lower end for recent i5's and it doesn't have graphics. So an old CPU, old MB, old chipset and old RAM.

For a CPU swap or basket case, sure. For a build from scratch not so much.

That got me as well with "New Xeon" in the title but then find out it's a few generations and 8 years old. :)

That CPU swap likely isn't going to help you much.  If you direct play media it's fine but when transcoding it's struggle for you at present correct?  That  XEON doesn't have any HW GPU built in so it's not going to help on that front.  So how much this XEON will help is probably a matter of passmark score between this CPU and your old CPU.  If it's not at least 25% it's likely a waste of money.

You might be far better off trying to add/change the video card.  Even an old GTX-750 will transcode h.264 video fine and breath life back into your old machine and handle a couple of streams at the same time.

Really hard to help without knowing what type of media you have and how many users you support.

• 5 weeks later...
LeetDonkey

I have a newer but rather slow xeon (E5-2675V3) It was struggling with transcoding 4K, and I decided to look into an upgrade.
I ended up with a GPU for transcoding - a CPU upgrade simply cannot beat that, In my case it was a Quadro M2000.
If you are running Emby bare metal and have no need for passthrough a cheap GeForce 950 or GeForce 960(only 2GB and 4GB, not 3GB) will do the trick as well.

This may be worth considering instead of a CPU upgrade.

There is a patch that removes the session limit here:
https://github.com/keylase/nvidia-patch