Live TV Guide on Roku freezes when quickly page-up/down

ransomshell

ransomshell

On both a Roku Ultra and a stick (both up to date), go to the guide and use FF/RW to page down/up but do it quickly... The guide will freeze and I can still hear beeps, but nothing moves. I can go back up to the tabs and navigate side-to-side and those tabs seem OK, but go back to the guide and it's still stuck. I wait upwards of 5 minutes, maybe it's trying to catch up, no change. The only way to bring it back to life is to exit Emby and go back in.

Am I doing something wrong? Seems holding the FF/RW doesn't work, so I want to move quickly through 100+ channels. The faster I hit the FF/RW buttons, the sooner the guide locks up. I do have a Fire TV and an Apple 4K but I haven't tried those (they aren't even plugged in).

Thanks a lot

Hi. We will see if we can reproduce this and figure out what is going wrong.

Thanks for reporting it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
tsanchez88

I've have the exact problem and was just coming to submit a ticket as well when I found it in the search results.

This happens on both my TCL Roku TV and Roku Ultra (Roku SG 4.0.9). It has been happening for awhile so its not just the recent release. I'd be happy to upload any additional logs or other info to help. I'm also a Premiere Member if that makes any difference.

I restarted the Emby server to flush the logs, then I openned the Emby App on my Roku Ultra, choose Live TV, Selected Guide and then pressed FF about 5 times very quickly. The guide goes to the next page and then freezes, at which point as ebr pointed out, it will ding on additonal FF presses but never moves forward. I can leave the guide and use Emby but must Exit Emby to get the guide working. If I press FF once and wait for the page to load, I can move slowly forward that way, but quick presses and it freezes every time.

I enabled Debug mode and reran the tests at 17:00 Eastern time using the login name of "Cinema" as well to pull the Roku logs.

embyserver.txt

Edited by tsanchez88

4 hours ago, tsanchez88 said:

If I press FF once and wait for the page to load, I can move slowly forward that way, but quick presses and it freezes every time.

We apologize for the problem. There is no need for logs. We can reproduce. Stay tuned. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
tsanchez88

Just curious if there is any update on this or if anyone knows of a work around. I'm running on Windows 8, but have been considering moving to linux, so curious if anyone knows if that would solve the problem.

1 hour ago, tsanchez88 said:

Just curious if there is any update on this or if anyone knows of a work around. I'm running on Windows 8, but have been considering moving to linux, so curious if anyone knows if that would solve the problem.

It isn't your OS causing the guide lockup on Roku. It is a complicated situation because of how the Roku tracks multiple keypresses and how the events handle themselves. If you press the button aggressively multiple times (rather than holding it) the problem presents itself. There are many ways to handle this and we are investigating which is the best one with the least interruption to your guide update with fast movement. Please stay tuned.

Edited by speechles

• 2 weeks later...
canada99
On 11/4/2020 at 7:47 PM, tsanchez88 said:

This has been happening ever since live tv was added to emby and will continue. makes no difference the OS the emby server runs on, the issue is with your xmltv (epg) not the emby server or roku. If you run live tv from an iptv source and that source has hundreds or thousands of channels then try shortening your list to just the channels that you watch as it will solve the issue. Another way is to download the xml file and host it yourself on a fast high end pc or restream with something like tvheadend, again shorten the list to only what you watch is always a good idea.

We will be improving the channel management features in the server to allow you to do this directly in Emby. Thanks for the feedback.

tsanchez88

@canada99   I think Speechless is correct in the keypresses being the issue in this case. My setup uses the built in Guide in Emby Premiere and recording directly from a HDHomeRun Prime. I've tried cleaning up the list, reducing the number of days, and the system runs from a SSD, so I don't think its a system issue. I only see it on the Roku and when using the FF button to move thru the guide quickly from say channel 2 to channel 232. Unfortunately you can't hold down the FF key, it executes once no matter how long you hold it, and if you don't wait for the next page to load before hitting FF the next time (We aren't talking about hitting it 10 times a second here), it will lock. You can hold down the down arrow to continuously move thru the guide, but its excruciatingly slow, as it move like one channel a second. You can also hit the down arrow as many times a second as possible and it will not exhibit the same lockup issue as FF.

I think once this is fixed, the WAF will go up considerably with Emby in my household. The frustration from this glitch causes most household members to exit Emby and switch to the cable's streaming app instead. There is nothing worse than getting thru like 20 pages of the guide and then accidently pressing too soon and having to exit and start all over again. I was running WMC for many years prior to its demise, so we are not new to this stuff.

@Luke...With the channel management, will that allow you to remap channels as well, like clicking on Channel 2 (SD) in the guide will play the Channel 1002 (HD) stream?

5 hours ago, tsanchez88 said:

@Luke...With the channel management, will that allow you to remap channels as well, like clicking on Channel 2 (SD) in the guide will play the Channel 1002 (HD) stream?

Yes it will.

Hi.  Exactly what button are you pressing that is causing this issue?  I have not been able to reproduce it with a Roku device.  The button I'm using is the FF button as that is page down in the guide.  It reacts as fast as it can and no matter how quickly I hit the button, I cannot cause the app to stumble.

• 3 months later...
tsanchez88

Apparently I missed this reply months ago, but I just re-tested my server and its working correctly now. 

Not sure if anyone else is still having the problem. I swear it was still happening not that long ago, but I recently did a server upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10, doing a fresh install of OS/Emby and simply imported the backup config, so maybe if cleared then. <shrug>