Grouping movies and avoid duplicates in library

kaledi

kaledi

Hello,

I know the naming and grouping conventions required to store multiple copies of the same movie.  There is one obvious limitation with this in that all version of a movie have to be stored in the same folder.  If they are stored in a different folder then you will see duplicate entries in the library.  Even if you create a separate library for a particular set of version e.g. MKV vs. MP4, or 4K vs. 2K, then although you don't get duplicates in the respective libraries, you do get duplicates in the 'continue watching' etc.

Is there any way to avoid this, or could an option be implemented so that these multi-versions are automatically grouped?  I really like the way Emby handles multi-versions, except for this limitation.

Before you ask why I need to store different versions in different folders, there are a number of scenarios why this can be important e.g. storage space, backup plans etc.

You can manually group them yourself if in different folders.

Have you tried that?

You may also want to check

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
andrewmcd7
Just now, kaledi said:

Not for me it doesn't, but I have tweaked some library settings. Let check later 

Really? I have movies and 4k movies libraries same with TV shows. In movie view it’s group together and I can see all the versions. But on up next it shows dups. 

432A4664-5C53-45E4-951C-71BAA5452EDE.jpeg

I'll have to confirm exactly what I've done on thr server, but I do know this. 

I have created multiple users. There is master user that has access to all libraries and folders in thr library. This sounds like your set up. I'll check whether the up next has duplicate entries. 

I also have users for different use scenarios. For example, I have a 4k user that has access to the 4k library plus all media that isn't in 4k, but doesn't have access to media in 2k that is available in 4k. It is very easy to set this up in this way. 

I then use trakt to sync all watched states across users. 

This scenario has worked flawlessly for me since I moved to it a few months back. 

andrewmcd7
1 minute ago, kaledi said:

I'll have to confirm exactly what I've done on thr server, but I do know this. 

I have created multiple users. There is master user that has access to all libraries and folders in thr library. This sounds like your set up. I'll check whether the up next has duplicate entries. 

I also have users for different use scenarios. For example, I have a 4k user that has access to the 4k library plus all media that isn't in 4k, but doesn't have access to media in 2k that is available in 4k. It is very easy to set this up in this way. 

I then use trakt to sync all watched states across users. 

This scenario has worked flawlessly for me since I moved to it a few months back. 

Yeah I’m the master user. Only one user. I guess I could combine “4k movies” and “movies” library to get rid of the duplicates on up next/continue watching... but then I’m missing 4k as a separate library and won’t be able to see what 4K has been recently added as it will be combined with regular movies. 

if you could check that would be great :)

Just checked.  My master user doesn't have duplicates in the watch next.  Not sure how I've set this up so will have to go digging.

As for how I actually use it, this is a bit more information.

For moveies, I have the following versions e.g. for a 4K movie: 4K MKV; 2K MKV; 2K (LBR) MP4; for a 2K (i.e. not available in 4K) then I have a 2K MKV and 2K MP4

I structure the folders like this

1. 4K (contains 4K version)

2. 2K4K (2K version of a 4K version)

3. 2K (2K versions of those movies not available in 4K)

4. MP4

Doing it this way means that for the 4K user I direct access to folders 1 & 3; for 2K user I direct to 2 & 3; for mobile I direct to 4

The user profile settings allows access to individual libraries, but also individual folders within a library - this later feature is key to setting the above correctly.  Originally, I expected to have to set up several different libraries, and maybe this is what you have done?

Hmm, what/how do you use #2 library above? 

When would you ever use a 2K version if you also have  a 4K version?

No. 2 is there because I can specify the user that has 4k media to avoid this folder so that duplicate versions aren't visible. Likewise it means thta a user that has access to only 2k material can view movies that were originally in 4k

Still don't understand.  You saying you have 2K TVs to play these?  Aren't they still going to transcode?

Why would they? 4k movie transcoded to 2k sdr file so that they play on an older TV that can't play 4k directly. Moreover, I've not come across a platform that can transcode to 2k sdr in real time. That said shield TV does do a very effective job of playing 4k hdr material on a 2k sdr display 

May we should clarify what you're calling 2K movies?  What resolution are these?

Anything other than 4k. But it doesn't matter, the point is there is an effective way of segregating multiple versions of the same movie 

Ahh, so these aren't actual 2K films then.  2K is between 1080 and 4K and is otherwise sometimes called 1440, Quad HD or QHD.
A 2K native resolution is 2560 pixels horizontally and 1440 pixels vertically

Many 4K movies are actually 2K movies but people don't always realize this.

Of course you need a 2K or 4K monitor/TV or device that will downscale to play these so they normally have the same rules as 4K movies.
That's why I was asking.