Chapter Creation

BLAlley

Go to solution Solved by seanbuff,

BLAlley

Having Emby create chapters for my videos in 5-minute increments is a nice feature, but I noticed one movie actually has real chapters based on scenes, complete with titles. Why is that one different and is it possible to add such chapters to others?

Thanks.

Hi, yes you can add these to the embedded information within the files themselves. There are external tools that can help you do this. Once you've done that, then run a library scan and Emby Server will re-scan those files.

• Like 1

BLAlley

Looks like I'm figuring this one out on my own, just like the last question I had. If you can't answer a question, don't.

• Confused 2

• Solution
seanbuff

Hi, I'm not sure why you think Luke did not answer your question.

Video files have the ability to contain chapters inside the actual file, if they are present, Emby will read and display those instead of creating random 5 min chapters.
When you are ripping your own collection, you can choose to extract chapters using whichever software you are using at the time.

Alternatively, you can use a website like https://chapterdb.plex.tv/ to search for chapters for a large selection of movies. Once you find the one that matches your video's time, download the .TXT file.

Once you have this, you can open your .MKV file in a tool like 'MKVToolNix GUI' and 'Add' the chapter file directly into the video file.

image.png.c1fb8f045b2b5c0ab509d79ba215cfdb.png

image.png.a6bbda62e0fc169b2accad411e1fe2c0.png

The good thing about this is your chapter markers can have friendly text to help when navigating through them via the OSD and when browsing.

image.png.dbc7e3471b9992e126c9aee47e6e9371.png

For now, there is no real automated way of doing this using Emby alone.

Edited by seanbuff
  • Like 2

pwhodges

If you are using Handbrake to process a video file, you can also add chapter information in there.

You can see above that MKVToolNix also has a chapter editor of its own in the left menu.  That enables you to create chapters yourself, or copy chapters from one file to another

Paul

• Like 1

aaronsomek
10 hours ago, BLAlley said:

Thanks for the non answer. 

10 hours ago, BLAlley said:

Looks like I'm figuring this one out on my own, just like the last question I had. If you can't answer a question, don't.

It would have taken 30 seconds to google the information you need, but here LMGTMY