Media Interests

access

access

Hey All,

I've recently cut over to Emby and I couldn't be more happy. I've had Plex/XBMC installed for years but just preferred navigating the file system instead. Couldn't be more happy with how Emby is working.

I was wondering what some of the media interests are in the community here? I assume if you are posting in this community your interested in media to a large degree, or maybe it's just a convenience thing!

Guess I'll start, I'm primarily interested in Animation and Documentaries. I am a Synology user and are based in Australia.

I think my favourite Documentaries are;

• Cane Toads: The Conquest
  • Chateau Chunder: A Wine Revolution
  • RiP!: A Remix Manifesto
  • Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon

I will watch pretty much any documentary, I'm a huge film, video game and wine nerd so crave documentaries in those areas a lot.

I am interested in watching animation that really is interesting stylistically. So I wouldn't say I watch a lot of say, Anime, but anything from Madhouse Animation studio I will watch, so One Punch Man Season 1 (Season 2 they switched studios), Casshern Sins, Memories, Paprika etc. But most of my animation collection is european or western animation, I'm a big fan of either abstract, art pieces or serious drama using animation, I really want to continue finding new media in this area and while I say I love it, but due to accessibility I haven't found a lot in this space.

I also love short films, but again especially if animated, so I guess my current projects are get exposure to short films and animations. 

Some of my favourite animations are;

• Iblard Time
  • The Breadwinner
  • Pozzie
  • Rejected

Outside of my primary goal of finding some good animations, I'm trying to get back into Asian Cinema and am dabbling in Bollywood films, I watched Shakuntala Devi recently which is about the true story of a human calculator and want to watch the Krrish series which is like an Indian super hero series franchise with big budget movies and spin off hindi cartoons.

I'm not to interested in sports or reality TV or home renovations, game shows or cooking shows.

So what about other people? What sort of media is people interested in? All around movies and shows? Big Serious dramas? Action films? 80s cartoons? Huge Anime nerd?

Thanks!

Edited by access

I'm all over the map with over 100K videos made up of Movies, TV Shows/episodes and Sports content.

I have movies in normal SD, 720, 1080 in one Library, 4K movies in another library and 3D movies in yet another library so I can control access to 3D and 4K movies for only those that can direct play them.

I'm a huge NFL fan with EVERY GAME back about 7 years and every Super Bowl in my library which is more than on the paid NFL channel in both long format and condensed formats. :) I actually used to work for the NFL and did a lot of the programming for overlays you see these days for first down markers and things like that super imposed on the field which is common place these days.

All of my media is in 264 or 265 video format with AAC 2 channel default audio along with other audio streams for best chance of direct playback on all platforms.

access

Wow! I don't know how many NFL games there are in the Unites States but I can imagine a monstrous amount.

So do you re-encode everything to make it consistent? I turned those sorts of features off as I never minded everything being as it came. Sports would be hard to catalog. Do you just store them as Home Videos and manually do the meta data, that would be a lot of work! Or is there some provider that does Sports meta data?

Edit:
Ha looked at my media collection have like nothing at 4k hahaha
image.png.9d96318e7e042630950ba3dd633eee8e.png

Edited by access

Gilgamesh_48

Over time I have become more and more burned out about sports. Now all I watch for sports is Hockey and soccer (real football() and it seem that almost half the time I stop watching a match half way or less through because I have become bored. I never keep any sport match I have recorded more than a week because if I have not watched it by then it is most probable I will never watch it.

I watch movies and TV hows with a pretty equal split between new media and old media. On a recent day I watched "Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker," "King Kong (1933)," an episode of "The Honeymooners," the latest episode of "Biindspot" and two episodes of the original "Perry Mason." My library is nowhere near the size of @cayars' but it is fairly large consisting on nearly 4000 movies and around 700 TV series (~35000 episodes) and a few misc. videos of my granddaughters and other family videos. 

I have not found much in the way of modern animation that I enjoy (I have "The Wizard of Oz," "Fantasia," and many other old animated features.  I do have many non-English films in my library. Between me, my daughter and my granddaughters we speak, to a fair degree of fluency, 8 languages and my eldest granddaughter says she is learning two more so I am trying to find some Danish and Hindi movies for her. (I will need subtitles for those)

I have fun with my media library but I do not spend the time on it others do. Mostly I just make sure my server is pretty powerful and can transcode what I need it to and then concentrate on getting more media, Much I  can record (particularly TV shows) as I have a service that can record from a "TV Anywhere" provider. I even get some movies by recording but the more obscure titles or films in unusual languages I have to find and buy. But I do not spend as much as you would think because there are numerous ways to shop for DVDs that have been well marked down. 

BTW: I just acquired an entire "Bulldog Drummand" boxed set from a seller on EBay for $12.00 plus shipping.

I do not care at all about fancy video or audio so my files stay pretty small.

I dislike the way so much media has gone into so much special effects that they forget to tell a good story. For me the story is more important than anything else.

Also I do not share my server with anyone as, except for my daughter's family, there is no one I like well enough to grant them that honor. My daughter's family have their own server in their home and I allow them to download movies as they want. I do not like using up my internet bandwidth with streaming even for family. They download as an automated process late at night and they can download 10-15 movies in the time it takes to stream one.

skidmarks

I have a well rounded collection...  With many personal interest folders (i use mixed content libraries for these). 

There are only a handful of emby users, that i have noticed in the forums over the years, that share the love of music as i do.  It was a great day when i could create my own "MTV".  Music (and music related items) is by far my most used library in my collection.

Next stop would be my appreciation for military and more specific military aviation.  Having started my young yout in the USN and the P3 Orion.  There isn't much that i don't have on military aviation (again utilizing a mixed content folder).   

Then there is my beloved Buffalo Bills (NFL)...  I have documented years and years of the struggle of being a fan of them.  But there was always next year and the cool-aid always was refreshing during the off season.  I have a collection of "important" super bowls and most halftime shows going back to the late 80's early 90's?

I do have a nice collection of animation.  But i wouldn't consider myself intelligent by any means in this genre.  For me its a case of the older the better.  During the war effort in the US, Disney (and others) started producing actual military training and war propaganda (animated) materials in the 40's.  Stuff that in the PC world of today would never be made.

Enjoy your time here and welcome to emby! 

Edited by skidmarks

• 2 weeks later...
adamstewiegreen

I'm a Canadian ex-pat living in Australia.  Since moving I've missed (ice) hockey so I watch Vancouver Canuck games fairly regularly when they're playing (and they are right now!).  I do enjoy the odd cricket match (T20 or test) as well, I find it much more strategic and interesting than baseball.

My server is fairly well rounded and a little eclectic.  My movie and tv collection is very small by the forum standards (800+ movies, 3800 tv episodes) but I don't have much free time anyways. My server is fairly diverse with a definite slant towards (old) foreign and eccentric films - while I don't have any modern Bollywood movies I really love the Apu Trilogy. 

If you like documentaries I'd suggest Into Great Silence (the backstory is interesting as well).

@access, @cayars collection would be more impressive if it was just about any other North American sport 🤣 🤪.  Each NFL team plays 16 games in a season.  While NHL (ice hockey) teams play around 84 games and NBA (basketball) play about 73 per season.  (I'm joking, it's still impressive.) 

pwhodges

Ooh, I missed this thread, which started on my birthday!

Anime series - 264
Anime films - 78
Japanese live action films & series - 25
Non-Japanese animated films - 17
English films - 225
English series - 47
Documentary films & series - 35
Opera, Ballet, Musicals, etc - 102
Audio (classical music, pop, anime OSTs, own concert recordings) - unknown, a couple of thousand CDs (254GB, various levels of compression)
Bundle of stuff still in the DVR Recordings folder...

These numbers are always in flux, of course.  The video is moderately highly compressed, largely in HEVC, so the total disk used is a little under 4TB in a dedicated server running Windows 10.  There are about 10,500 individual videos and about 40,000 individual audio tracks.

I have one audio recording from before the invention of recording!  An earlier nineteenth-century scientist was investigating the properties of sound waves, and managed to make a device which scratched the movement of a diaphragm onto a plate covered in graphite - this was recently scanned and the waveform digitised into an audio waveform.  It's only a few seconds long, of course.

My son is a professional pianist, so I have all 50 of his CDs, as well as many recordings I made before he reached that level (I also recorded and mastered his first few CDs).  I also have 20 years' concerts of the choir I sing in, and videos of several operas performed (staged, with orchestra) by an amateur opera group that my first wife and I ran for a few years.

The interest in Japanese video (and manga, which isn't listed here, but I have a fair amount - about 25 complete sets) stems from the time when I sold the software I was developing through an agent in Japan, and visited the country to train the agents and help with some installations (the software was imaging software for medical diagnosis).

Paul

• 2 weeks later...