Emby not showing right external IP address

Omahabrownie

Omahabrownie

I have never had the right external IP address show up and I don't know why. I have restarted and that does not help. I can treat it like a domain and force my right IP in it but as soon as I take it out it goes back to a random not right IP address. I would like to use emby Connect for outside my local network but cannot because it does not show my right IP address. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

Thanks

Dave

seanbuff
6 hours ago, Omahabrownie said:

but as soon as I take it out it goes back to a random not right IP address

what do you mean by 'as soon as I take it out' ?

Are you suggesting the external address on your Dashboard is incorrect?

image.png.1c0f8a78403ed6ca9d167a4f44ba4c60.png

What have you configured in the 'Network' section for 'External Domain'?

Edited by seanbuff

Omahabrownie

Yes the external address in my dashboard is always wrong. I know you say it refreshes once an hour but I do not see that. I was saying if I put the right address in as a domain address then it holds to that and as soon as I take it out it returns to a wrong address. I was looking at this as a possible temporary fix but it would have to be changed every time my provider changes my IP. Everything else works fine. I can logon manually with no trouble, but when the IP changes you have to reset it. I was hoping that the emby connect would keep me from having to reset all the time. I don't know if it makes any difference but I see the first to sets of numbers in the external IP address is right but the last two sets are wrong. My emby server version is 4.4.2.0 and it is on a openmediavault server 4.1.35-1.

Thanks for your help

Dave

Q-Droid

How do you determine your correct external IP? Have you tested the "correct" IP from a true external connection (mobile LTE, friends, etc.)? Are you using VPN? 

Omahabrownie

I usually check my true IP from my modems dashboard. I have setup a remote user for my sister-in law and when I do it manually she can connect fine but since emby has the wrong external address when I try to connect thru emby connect it it just spins. It see's the account and user but cannot connect because the address emby is showing is wrong.

Q-Droid

The site https://canyouseeme.org will show you the true public IP address for your connection and this should match what Emby detects for you.

This is the Emby Support article to troubleshoot connectivity issues: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

If the true public IP visible on the internet does not match what your router is showing for the WAN IP then you have double-NAT going on. It could be local to you (your gear, two routers) or your provider (CG-NAT). Does your SIL have the same ISP as you?

Omahabrownie

The public IP from the modem and the one from canyouseeme match. They do not match what emby shows. My sister in Law does not use the same ISP as me but at present she is using my server thru a manual connection. I have gone thru that support article and I see nothing out of place but the wrong external address.

Q-Droid

Strange. As a quick test I removed the external domain from my settings and immediately it was replaced with the correct external IP. 

No VPN or tunneling on the OMV server? 

Run this on the OMV server: curl icanhazip.com

Omahabrownie

Nope, I do not have vpn or tunneling on the OMV server. I will try running :curl icanhazip.com and let you know what it says. It tells me the same external as the others but not the same as Emby.

Edited by Omahabrownie

You rang. :)

@Omahabrownie sounds like your guys have covered all the normal stuff.  Would you mind if we do a TeamViewer session and I can try and help you directly?

If so download and install TeamViewer then send me a PM and we'll arrange a remote support session.

Carlo