How to turn on closed captions in Emby web app and XBOX 360

Ronstang

Ronstang

All of my movies are MKV and almost all of them have subtitles in the container that were recorded from TV along with the movie.  Many of these movies have dual audio and 4 separate subtitles in each file.  The problem is I cannot figure out how to access these subtitles through the web app or my XBOX 360.  I see that I can change the audio streams in the web app on the information page of the movie but I see nothing there about subtitles.  I need to access the subtitles as my girlfriend want to start watching movies with me but speaks very little English so I'm hoping the subtitles will help her to learn.

Thank You

The problem is I cannot figure out how to access these subtitles through the web app 

Hi there, have you tried clicking the subtitle icon from inside the video player? It is the CC icon.

pwhodges

If Emby is recognising the subtitles, there should be a dropdown next to or below the audio one, like this:

.subdrop.jpg.13acd24888959d654a4919c5b473afee.jpg

If you're not seeing that, are subtitles turned off in the dashboard, like this?

nosub.jpg.e4594a201bd2179312d305c81e38ac2f.jpg

I can't immediately think of any other causes for them not to appear, unless they're all in an unsupported format - which is pretty unlikely!

Paul

Ronstang

Luke, I would have if it was there.  I looked for an icon earlier but none is present.

Paul.....no, it seems that Emby does not see the subtitles so now the question is why? There are 4 subtitles in this file and none show.

Ronstang
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

How have you named and organized your subtitle files? Have you compared them to our subtitle naming guide?

I don't have any subtitle files.  They are within the MKV files themselves.  They were recorded from TV that wan and processed by MCEBuddy into MKV containers.  All my subtitles play in VLC, PotPlayer, and any other video player......except Emby

pwhodges
1 hour ago, Ronstang said:

All of my movies are MKV and almost all of them have subtitles in the container that were recorded from TV along with the movie.

I missed where you said "recorded from TV".  There are indeed some strange subtitle formats which some TV streams present, and which might require extracting and converting to a more commonly used format using other tools, even though some other programs play them; I do this fairly routinely.

If you are on Windows, the program MediaInfo can give you detailed information on your video file, including subtitle formats.  It would be worth finding this information so that we can discuss how to proceed.  If that's not convenient, maybe you can provide a link via PM to an online copy of one of these files for us to look at.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

Ronstang

Yes Paul, Mediainfo is how I found there were 4 subtitle files in most of my MKVs.  Personally, if all other video players I think maybe Emby needs to address it in their player....I don't have time to extract and organize subtitles for 3200 movies

29 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

I don't have any subtitle files.  They are within the MKV files themselves.  They were recorded from TV that wan and processed by MCEBuddy into MKV containers.  All my subtitles play in VLC, PotPlayer, and any other video player......except Emby

Can you show a screenshot of the video detail screen in the web app? thanks.

So is this about subtitles or Closed Captions which are two different things?

Ronstang
43 minutes ago, cayars said:

So is this about subtitles or Closed Captions which are two different things?

Well, in VLC it reports them as "Closed Captions" but then at the bottom it says type of CC is "Subtitles"

In general if it's a disc rip it's a subtitle and if it a TV recording it will be closed captioning unless a conversion was done.

They have the same purpose of putting text on screen when people talk (or describe what's going on) but use different mechanism to do this.

Ronstang
1 hour ago, cayars said:

In general if it's a disc rip it's a subtitle and if it a TV recording it will be closed captioning unless a conversion was done.

They have the same purpose of putting text on screen when people talk (or describe what's going on) but use different mechanism to do this.

OK, so how do I get them to show in Emby?  LOL

Ronstang

I just reconfigured MCEBuddy to extract the closed captions and convert them to subtities.  Not only did I not know it could do this I did not realize I had to so I still have 3200 movies that I'd like to find a way to show the closed captions in Emby.

seanbuff
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you show a screenshot of the video detail screen in the web app? thanks.

Please provide what Luke has requested

Ronstang
9 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Please provide what Luke has requested

I'm sorry, I was busy with family for the last few hours and missed that ....sorry I did not mean to upload that twice

image.thumb.png.8bf957319bffc4ba470a741e5f9ab441.png

image.png

Edited by Ronstang

seanbuff

Scroll to the bottom of that exact page and capture the detail from the "Media Info" section please 🙂

seanbuff

Could you also provide a screenshot of where the separate MediaInfo application is showing there are some 4 subs in your files?

Ronstang

It doesn't show any subtitles or closed captions in Emby....that is the problem.  They are there but Emby doesn't see them.  All other media playing apps I have show the subs on the screen when I play any of my movies.  The picture below is the media information from VLC.

image.thumb.png.4e73b0388e7f89c179627e265038abe9.png

Ronstang

1519074119_image(1).thumb.png.d432640120618f7b13e84f8ef3b748a8.png

Here is the Emby screenshot you asked for but it has no info about subtitles or closed captions.  That is the problem.

Edited by Ronstang

pwhodges

Last year Plex added support for these EIA-608 CCs; but it was greatly disliked, and so a user in their forums wrote a script to extract the CCs, convert to SRT and reinsert.  You can still download it from this post on their forum.  The script is also here, but you should read the thread for some explanations.

As the script is design to work within Plex, you will need to tweak it to run independently, maybe also to handle multiple sets of CCs, and to adapt it to run over whole directories; but it seems to me likely to be the best way forward for you to handle your existing rips (obviously the MCEBuddy change prevents the problem continuing in the future).

I expect that there are programs which can do the extraction more easily, but a script which you can modify to run over your whole library might be the best way for you to go.

Paul

Ronstang

Thanks Paul but I don't know enough to tweak a script or get it working because everything on in that post is Greek to me and I don't have time to mess with the subtitles of 3200 movies so I guess I'll have to use something else to view them.

pwhodges

I have provided @Ronstang with a small and unsophisticated Windows command line script to extract EIA-608 closed captions from all the MKV files in a directory tree.  The script skips any file with embedded subtitle streams or alongside which is an existing srt subtitles file.  The only requirement for the script to run is that it can access ccextractorwin.exe and mkvmerge.exe, each of which can be copied from the portable install downloads from their respective websites and most simply put in the same directory as this script.  The subtitles are not embedded into the original file, as that's not necessary in Emby, and would probably double the time taken to run the task.  I have assumed, which is apparently usual, that the first CC stream is English and the second, if present, is Spanish.

I used the Windows command processor to avoid the need for any other installation, even though writing for it is a peculiar form of self-torture...

@echo off
SETLOCAL EnableDelayedExpansion

echo .
if [%1]==[] (
  set /p VideoRoot="Base directory for subtitle extraction: "
) else (
  set VideoRoot=%1
)
echo ------

for /r %VideoRoot% %%f in (*.mkv) do (
  echo Checking %%f
  for /f %%t in ( ' mkvmerge.exe -i "%%f" ^| find /c /i "subtitles" ' ) do (
    if [%%t] NEQ [0] (
      echo Video has embedded subtitles
    ) else (
      if exist "%%~df%%~pf%%~nf*.srt" (
        echo Subtitle file already present
      ) else (
        echo Processing %%f
        ccextractorwin.exe -12 -fp -trim -autodash -sc -quiet "%%f"
        ren "%%~df%%~pf%%~nf_1.srt" "%%~nf.eng.srt"
        echo Extracted %%~df%%~pf%%~nf.eng.srt
        if %%~z"\"%%~df%%~pf%%~nf_2.srt\"" LEQ 100 (
          del "%%~df%%~pf%%~nf_2.srt"
          echo No Spanish subtitles
        ) else (
          ren "%%~df%%~pf%%~nf_2.srt" "%%~nf.spa.srt"
          echo Extracted %%~df%%~pf%%~nf.spa.srt
        )
      )
    )  
  )
echo ------
)

echo Processing of directory tree complete
echo .
pause

There is no error checking, because in my experience during testing any failure just causes the script to terminate.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 2