Change Qnap User Emby Uses

Jibest

Jibest

Is it possible to change which account Emby uses to create folders etc on the Qnap (for tv recordings)?

Recently there was an attempt to brute force access to my Qnap management portal (yes its available via WAN). In response i changed the web port that I was using and I also disabled the Qnap Admin account to help mitigate the risk, i also have 2 factor etc.

Since this change I found that I was unable to delete or overwrite new recordings using my newly made admin account from a windows machine. When I check the security on the folder the owner is the now disabled admin account and no other account has modify permissions. To be clear, these folders are being created by Emby after the Admin account had been disabled.

I do not want to re-enable the admin account permanently for security reasons & would rather not have to do this each time I want to delete or overwrite files using a windows machine. Is there a way to change the account that Emby is using to create the folders from the Admin account to another one?

PenkethBoy

No not done this

make sure the new admin account is part of the admin group so will have the same access rights - this i think should solve your problem

or improve your security with a vpn/reverse proxy and possibly a better router say pfsense with good firewall rules and use these for external access protection

or dont let your QNAP have external access (too many have been compromised this way)

• 2 weeks later...
Jibest

Hi, the new admin account is a part of the admin group but the folders Emby create only allow modify rights to the folder "owner" so that doesn't make a difference.

Sadly Qnaps will not let you use it as a VPN server & a VPN client simultaneously otherwise I would access it this way. Also my current router cannot be configured as a VPN server.

I might just disable the wan access for the time being.