Best streaming device that you don't need to transcode uhd files

Cydios
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Cydios said:

It's happening on 3 movies it appears. So it's converting dts to ac3? Isn't the shield dts?

I would say yes as the playback protocol shows it is.  But a dev will have to provide more insight on "DirectPlayError" @ebr

&VideoCodec=h264,mpeg2video,hevc,h265
&AudioCodec=aac_latm,mp4a_latm,ac3,eac3,dts,dca,dtshd,truehd,aac,mp3

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, cayars said:

We should improve the message being given when the info button is used as that message is actually wrong.

Yes when there is a playback error and failover to another method this should be provided via Info/Nerd Stats instead of having to dig through logs.

To be fair Nerd Stats does show the error.

Transcode Reason: Direct play error

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Cydios
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

We should improve the message being given when the info button is used as that message is actually wrong.

What type of sound system do you have connect to the Shield TV?  Does it play DTS?

Is the HDMI from the Shield TV going into the TV or a sound system?  If going to the TV how is your sound system connected to the TV?

Shield pass-through to receiver to tv. It's been working flawless till now. The 3 movies doesn't appear to have a similarities. One of them has ac3, the others are dts-hd ma 5.1

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Cydios said:

Shield pass-through to receiver to tv. It's been working flawless till now. The 3 movies doesn't appear to have a similarities. One of them has ac3, the others are dts-hd ma 5.1

Can you post the ffmpeg log for the item with ac3.

• Thanks 1

Weirder and weirder.  Unless you've turned DTS off in the receiver the Shield TV should be able to pass through DTS without issue and shouldn't need to convert it.

Can you take a picture of your Shield TV audio setting and also your Emby audio settings?

Cydios

I'm beginning to think the files are corrupted. I just remembered that the one thing the movies have in common is that I did a file transfer from another hard drive. I have 5-6 hard drives, but the 3 movies with issues are on the same drive. Humor me. Let's say a 30 gig movie is partially corrupted, does EMBY play what it can from the file BUT does it also read the file and recognizes the corruption and transcodes what it can? This would also explain why the transcode stops at the same point. 

Edited by Cydios

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, Cydios said:

Now you have a true directstream on this specific media (TrueHD 5.1)

TranscodeReasons=DirectPlayError

17:05:37.165 Stream mapping:
17:05:37.165   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
17:05:37.165   Stream #0:2 -> #0:1 (copy)

This would suggest a issue with "DTS-HD MA" to me also since it was converted.

Note note a Shield user or owner.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cydios said:

I'm beginning to think the files are corrupted. I just remembered that the one thing the movies have in common is that I did a file transfer from another hard drive. I have 5-6 hard drives, but the 3 movies with issues are on the same drive. Humor me. Let's say a 30 gig movie is partially corrupted, does EMBY play what it can from the file BUT does it also read the file and recognizes the corruption and transcodes what it can? This would also explain why the transcode stops at the same point. 

I was going to comment previously about something in one of your ffmpeg logs

16:24:07.275 [matroska,webm @ 0000017ecc39f440] 0x00 at pos 953239510 (0x38d147d6) invalid as first byte of an EBML number

That was pretty much the last entry and I'm not sure what that means exactly.  @Happy2Play any ideas on that one?

Yes a corrupted file can play fine until it gets to a bad spot.  Then it can either cause the play to stop or cause pixelation depending or the issue/corruption level.  Some times you can FF past a bad part as well.  It's hit or miss or a corrupt file and they can drive you CRAZY.

So even if we consider this issue a file corruption problem that still doesn't answer the question of why this file isn't direct playing vs direct streaming.  Why is it not using the DTS track when your sound system supports it and your Shield is plugged into the sound system?  So still a puzzle to solve unless I missed something obvious (wouldn't be the first time). :)

Cydios
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

I was going to comment previously about something in one of your ffmpeg logs

16:24:07.275 [matroska,webm @ 0000017ecc39f440] 0x00 at pos 953239510 (0x38d147d6) invalid as first byte of an EBML number

That was pretty much the last entry and I'm not sure what that means exactly.  @Happy2Play any ideas on that one?

Yes a corrupted file can play fine until it gets to a bad spot.  Then it can either cause the play to stop or cause pixelation depending or the issue/corruption level.  Some times you can FF past a bad part as well.  It's hit or miss or a corrupt file and they can drive you CRAZY.

So even if we consider this issue a file corruption problem that still doesn't answer the question of why this file isn't direct playing vs direct streaming.  Why is it not using the DTS track when your sound system supports it and your Shield is plugged into the sound system?  So still a puzzle to solve unless I missed something obvious (wouldn't be the first time). :)

Well, I'm going to redownload direct one of the files to see if it was transfer error. Yeah, I agree. One thing I noticed using the "other" streaming software is it stops at the same point as well. 

Cydios

Well, I just looked at the original file and it's reporting at 26 Gigs. My file is only 22. I think that might be a small sign of corruption :)

1.PNG

2.PNG

OK, so lets wait until you have new files and take it from there.

• Like 1

Cydios
4 hours ago, cayars said:

OK, so lets wait until you have new files and take it from there.

Learned something new about how Emby reads files today. It worked. Apparently the file corrupted through transfer. I guess Emby read the error and assumed that it was incompatible and needed transcoding. I'll have to recheck the movies.

Thanks everyone.

Screenshot_20200801-225018_Emby.jpg

• Like 2

Cydios
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Congrats on solving the problem!

Thanks for the help. I learned a few extra things. 

• Like 1

• Solution

Sorry for the late entry but the key here was the "Direct Play Error" Happy pointed out.  When the player encounters an error, we try re-playing the item in a different way. That way the item plays instead of just not.

Glad you chased it down.