Watching a currently recording program

rliepins

rliepins

I am having problems watching a currently recording TV show on the Nvidia Shield.  I can start the program sure enough, but as I skip forward through the commercials, I begin to have issues.  This seems to be ok if I am 30 minutes or more behind the recording.  The screen freezes.  I try to back out and restart it, but the Shield is simply frozen for that program. 

I have had this issue in the past, but I gave up on it after football season.  In the past, I have had the same issue on the Roku and Apple TV along with the NVidia Shield.  I am on the latest beta for Android TV on the Shield.  My server runs on Windows 10.

This is not a problem watching via the web app.

I have seen this issue brought up time and again on these forums, but no fix seems to be available.

I have tried moving the recording path to an SSD and even recreating the media library with the TV Show content type.  No luck..  I did see some progress on this back in January, but now the issue make watching a currently recorded show pretty much un-do-able.

Any advice?  What can I check?  What logs would help?  Should I move to a linux server?  We have Nvidia Shields at all our TVs in the house, so I would like to find a solution.

There isn't much that can be done at present right now on this but I've found having HW transcoding enabled with throttling disabled helps as the file is built quickly on the server enabling the skipping of commercials, half time, etc  Still not perfect but helps a lot.

The new Live TV Project currently in progress will be handling things a bit differently in this regard and should work much better.

• 2 weeks later...
rliepins

Hi

I see you updated the Android TV client yesterday.  I will check it later, but I am experiencing all sorts of problems watching a simple mp4 file via Android TV now.  Holy cow!

Can you please tell me where to look for log files?  I am at a total loss and I cannot play a large portion of my media files.

rliepins

I see that HEVC is having problems with this ATV version.  I will do a test for Live TV later this morning, but this latest version is having a codec issue.

Hi rliepins,

Is the HEVC related to the TV issue or something different related just to the new beta?

rliepins

Hi all

I am still running into the same Live TV issue.  If the program is still being recorded, it becomes unwatchable when trying to play and track forward (skipping commercials).

As for the HEVC, yes it is a separate issue and I have started a different thread.  I brought it in this thread by mistake.

rliepins

I am recording to an internal drive, an M.2 drive, in fact.  I tried changing the location between that drive, a 7.2K internal spinner as well as a network location.  If a network location is more desired in this situation, please let me know.  Also, I assume an SSD is more desired than a spinner...

EmbyKiwi

@rliepins Your symptoms are consistent with the problems discussed in another thread...

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78802-pixelation-and-glitching-in-recorded-tv-using-emby-dvr/

It seems to depend on various factors as to whether you just get bad pixelation and glitching or whether it hangs completely but the result is the same.... watching a currently recording program and skipping ads is basically unusable for some users/configurations. Frustratingly it works fine for some users/configurations too.  It sounds as though the Live TV is being re-written so hopefully that will resolve it. In the mean time, a number of us are just waiting till recordings are finished or using other methods to record if we are likely to want to watch it in catch-up mode! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
rliepins

Just an update.  My primary source of TV signal was via a pair of HDHomeRun Prime units using CableCards on Comcast.  I recently saw a method to provide a lowcast signal and tuner to Emby.  Hoping that a change of TV type might fix the issue, I added the lowcast as a tuner and tried watching a currently recorded show.  But no dice.  Ah well...

Interesting that some people do not have this issue.  It would be great to figure out what the common thread is and/or what we can do to fix the issue.

Or simply wait for the Live TV re-write.  Though waiting for it does feel like waiting for the fabled 6 tuner unit from Silicon Dust...

Thanks all for the input on this

What seems to help is setting the DVR record paths to a network drive vs the USB drives as this reduces the IO for the USB subsystem on the Android boxes.

rliepins

Interesting and I see the point.  Doesn't the latency that SMB over net make it slower even compared to the local bus?  I did try using an M.2 drive as my local DVR path, but that didn't help compared to an 8TB spinner.

I'll try it out, though...

rliepins
On 8/27/2020 at 1:51 PM, cayars said:

What seems to help is setting the DVR record paths to a network drive vs the USB drives as this reduces the IO for the USB subsystem on the Android boxes.

So, are you suggesting that we use network paths on a Emby server that is Windows based to help with AndroidTV Shield clients?

EmbyKiwi

@rliepins 

FYI... I've tried putting the recordings on everything from a RAID5 NAS with GB Ethernet links to local spinners to local SSDs and the results were pretty much the same. Given the configs that some are using successfully, I don't think it is a resource bottleneck with the hardware. I've also used other software on the same hardware and had no issues. I use Android TV on my TV as my main client rather than the Shield but can create the issues with any client I have access to.

24 minutes ago, rliepins said:

So, are you suggesting that we use network paths on a Emby server that is Windows based to help with AndroidTV Shield clients?

On 7/31/2020 at 3:29 PM, rliepins said:

I am having problems watching a currently recording TV show on the Nvidia Shield. 

I guess I'm a bit confused now.  Where are you running your Emby Server?  Are you running it on Windows or on the Shield TV?  I thought I seen you participate and say something like "me too" when others were describing issues with recording and playing back on the Shield.  And then starting out with the comment above it sounded like the same thing.

So where do you run your server?

rliepins

17 hours ago, cayars said:

So where do you run your server?

My setup is Emby Server running on a Windows 10 platform.  My movie library and recording paths are local to that Windows 10 box.  I watch TV via NVidia Shield media box using the Emby app (connected to the Emby Server running on Windows).

My primary issue is that watching a currently recording program on the Shield and skipping ahead is problematic.  When watching using Emby Theater on Windows, I don't see this issue as much.  But I have tried it on Roku, Amazon Cube and Apple TV as well.  Only the web app and ET seem to not have this issue.

I was going to try and set up a Linux server and configure Emby Server on it there to test, but I have yet to find the time to do that.  I'd like to find that magic combination where everything works smoothly and have dabbled with different setups.  I originally started using WMC (using Ceton for tuners) with Media Browser as my plugin for movies and have stuck with Emby ever since.  I do miss WMC's handling of TV.

I got the Shield as it plays almost anything and is easy to put in different corners of the house.  If there is a better media box to use, I'm all ears.

Edited by rliepins

Thank you for that.  I run the server on Windows as well recording to SSD like you and also have a Shield as well for my main playback.  I've found skipping ahead works but can be slow.  This is especially noticeable on long recordings like NFL games.

Something you can try if you want to experiment.  Load up the "mobile" Android BETA client on your Shield.   It can direct play many recordings vs direct stream them as the current Android TV does (at least for me) which does improve FF/RW and resume times (for me).

Here's a link to the current beta that can be side loaded on the Shield TV for testing: 

• 2 years later...
8 minutes ago, iiiJoe said:

Hey, guys. Any updates on this?

Hi,  yes we are looking into improving this for the next release of the server. Thanks.

• Thanks 1