can't pause live tv

alphabanks

alphabanks

I'm currently using a HDHOMERUN with Emby however I'm using Amazon Generation 2 FireTV boxes on the front end. To have fast channel switching, I have the Emby app configured to direct stream live tv. If I have direct streaming enabled I can't pause live tv now if I disable it everything works fine. So is there a solution for pausing live tv when direct streaming is enabled?

alphabanks

Is this a client-based problem for example if I'm in Emby Theater I have fast channel changes as well as the ability to pause live tv?

alphabanks

I just did some more testing this has to be a client based problem. If I'm in Emby Theater everything just works fast channel switching as well as the ability to pause. If  I try to pause TV on my generation 2 FireTV I receive a prompt stating switch playback mode. If I select yes live tv starts to transcode from MPEG2 to H264 I can now pause live tv. I tested channel change times they were still fast anywhere from 3 to 4 seconds.

Hi.  Yes, this is a difference in both platform and player capabilities.  In order to allow live stream seeking in the TV app we remux the stream into a container that is designed for live streaming and seeking.  We hope to improve the tuning response when doing this in the near future.

alphabanks

Is there documentation stating what user experience to expect based on device and client?  For example, if I was using all Intel Nuc's with the Emby Theater Client I would have never had this problem.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:13 PM, alphabanks said:

Is there documentation stating what user experience to expect based on device and client?  For example, if I was using all Intel Nuc's with the Emby Theater Client I would have never had this problem.

Hi, no, but we can look at adding that into our knowledge base. Thanks for the feedback.

We are constantly expanding info in our knowledge base, based on user request or things we internally think need expanding.

I'd be happy to add info to the knowledge base if you can quantify what you're looking that we don't have covered already. However if this is Live TV related I'd evaluate and maybe hold off entries to the knowledge base based on the new Live TV software mentioned already that will be coming soon.