HDR auto switch

Wheemer
Go to solution Solved by sooty234,

sooty234

Your GTX 1050 shouldn't struggle. I have one in one of my machines. You may just need to dial in the configuration. What settings are you using in Theater? A screenshot would be helpful.

Wheemer

It's probably because of my CPU and motherboard which is older. With 12 bit I get micro stutters but with 8 bit it's perfect. Everything is set to auto right now. But like I said I tried all variations and no improvement. Nothing to do with my settings. 

Wheemer

Wow... well for now I am happy with the performance and beautiful picture. So I won't mess with it anymore I guess. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
blixt99
On 8/1/2020 at 4:04 PM, Wheemer said:

I found this program https://github.com/bradgearon/hdr-switch/releases

I have it running on startup in my tray.

I made a ET.cmd with the following:

"C:\Program Files\HDRSwitch\hdr_switch_tray.exe" hdr
"C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\Emby.Theater.exe"
"C:\Program Files\HDRSwitch\hdr_switch_tray.exe" hdr

I modified the Emby Theater shortcut to point to this file and I fixed the icon back to Emby.

Now Emby Theater auto switches in and out of HDR.

Pretty darn cool!

Hey Wheemer, I tried doing exactly what you said above and it did not work for me. Now I am using Win 7

and all I got was  a black screen saying "Playback Error - No compatible streams are currently available" and two error messages that said  " HDR Switch Error    Error seeing hdr mode: NVAPI_ERROR"

This seems like it may be an Nvidia GPU issue.   Also I did not fully grasp it  when you said  " I fixed the icon back to Emby."

Edited by blixt99

It enables a windows HDR option which doesn't exist in windows 7 so it's not going to work for you.

• Like 1

He changed what the "shortcut" was pointing to in windows (the HDR script vs Emby) but then edited it to use the icon.

So it would change the screen mode, launch Emby Theater then switch back on Theater exit with the Emby icon on the desktop.

Edit: @blixt99 anyone ever tell you that you look a bit like Alex Lifeson of Rush? (at least your pic does if you weren't wearing glasses).

You don't happen to know how to play La Villa Strangiato or Tom Sawyer on a Guitar by chance do you?   LOL

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I really appreciate Wheemer's help. But I have found that if I install MPC-HCx64 and MadVR and set them up with

MPC to run in fullscreen and MadVR to passthrough the HDR metadata (as an external video player in Emby Theater), then

when I play a 4K HDR video or movie in MPC it will minimize the Emby Theater screen and the HDR metadata WILL pass through

to my LG 4K HDR monitor or TV, even in Win 7.

Edited by blixt99