HDR auto switch

Wheemer
Go to solution Solved by sooty234,

Wheemer

I am already using the desktop version and it is not working. My TV notifies me when it enters HDR and I get no such notification. When using the Emby app for Ruko it works perfectly.

What version are you running? Can you please go over an example? How have you configured the video settings in the app?

Wheemer

I am using the latest version of Emby Theater. I am trying to play an HDR movie, when I click play I expect to see my TV say it entered HDR, I see no switch and the video looks washed out. I have played with all the video setting within ET with no success.

Wheemer

When I run a game like Doom it switches the TV in HDR automatically so it does work on my setup.

Can you confirm when playing the file that it is direct playing?

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, Wheemer said:

I am using the latest version of Emby Theater.

What version would that be, 3.0.11?

• Solution
sooty234

It won't switch Windows into HDR automatically. mpv doesn't employ the Windows mechanism for that. You have to enable HDR in Windows, manually. It works just like VLC, in this regard. 

• Like 1

Wheemer

Thanks Sooty234.

Will this feature ever be added? This makes Theater pointless for me as Emby for Roku just works.

Wheemer
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Can you confirm when playing the file that it is direct playing?

How can I confirm that? I cannot find that in settings. I believe it is since no transcoding happening on server. Is that even relevant since apparently mpv doesn't even support it?

You can always use the server dashboard in Web admin.  This is a screenshot showing Transcoding taking place and the red circled area can be clicked for the transcode reason.  It could also show "Direct Play" or "Direct Streaming" besides Transcoding on this screen.

dash.png

Wheemer

Yeah it's not transcoding, I forgot I had the user restricted from transcoding anything.

sooty234
47 minutes ago, Wheemer said:

Thanks Sooty234.

Will this feature ever be added? This makes Theater pointless for me as Emby for Roku just works.

The developer said he might implement it... But it requires (among other things) full screen exclusivity, which presently Theater doesn't allow. So I don't see this happening anytime soon. For what it's worth, I run Windows in HDR, as standard. And the picture for SDR stuff is great. You'll need to grab the latest Git master build, but that's easy. I'll never run Windows in SDR, again.

Wheemer

Everything just looks slightly weird when HDR is always enabled. Did you just get used to it? There is noticeably less contrast on SDR content. I'm using a GTX 1050.

Not sure what you mean about how it's configured since I have tried fiddling with all settings without noticeable benefit. I reset it all the default when I reinstalled the drivers today, still looks strange with Icons and SDR.

sooty234

Yeah, I know what you mean. Windows doesn't correct for the change of colorspace, very well. Does your desktop look kinda pasty? I configure the GPU to 4:2:2 12bps, and then raise the digital vibrance up to 60%, but that will depend on your own TV and what it looks like. I want to be able to watch HDR stuff in a window, that's why I need it turned on all the time.

Wheemer

I found this program https://github.com/bradgearon/hdr-switch/releases

I have it running on startup in my tray.

I made a ET.cmd with the following:

"C:\Program Files\HDRSwitch\hdr_switch_tray.exe" hdr
"C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\Emby.Theater.exe"
"C:\Program Files\HDRSwitch\hdr_switch_tray.exe" hdr

I modified the Emby Theater shortcut to point to this file and I fixed the icon back to Emby.

Now Emby Theater auto switches in and out of HDR.

Pretty darn cool!

Edited by Wheemer

sooty234

Well, that's interesting. And it only switches for HDR content, not the player in general? I wonder if Luke wants to incorporate this into Theater? I have no use for it, but others on here would definitely want the automatic switching.

Wheemer

No it's just the player in general... Crude simple solution that works for my immediate needs.

Wheemer

Well I now have two shortcuts for ET, one regular, and one with HDR enabled. I did find that under 4:2:2 12 bit  SDR looked better than under 4:4:4 8 bit, but my hardware struggles with 12 bit. That tray app has also made it simple to turn HDR on and off on a whim with a right click menu. It's workable and I no longer need to use Emby for Roku. My HDR movies look fantastic and silky smooth.

Edited by Wheemer