Setting Up Metadata To Work Correctly With MB3 , Plex , And XBMC?

Blusky
Go to solution Solved by saitoh183,

Blusky

I have recently set up a server for my movie collections thanks to the help of peeps from this forum.

I have upgraded from MB2 to MB3. So my initial metadata for movies was collected by Mb2, Mb3 and MCM.

As of now I am only using WMC with MB3 but in the future I would like to try Plex and XBMC. What I am trying to do is collect all the metadata that would work with MB3 , Plex and XBMC before I transfer it to my server. My thinking is once I have all the metadata set up correctly then in the future I could also try Plex and XBMC.

I have read that old MB2 metadata does work with MB3 and XBMC and MB3 can share the same metadata system. I have read that there is a plugin for MB server that saves XBMC and the old MB2 metadata but have not found it? Can MCM be used?

This is the way I setup my folders:

HD movies folder, specific movie name (1992) [1080p] folder. In this specific movie name folder I also state all metadata.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Blusky

saitoh183

If your MBS already set, simply modify your configuration to make sure XBMC nfo files are preferred and save metadata to media folder is selected. Then on each root (ie: TV, Movies) in the metadata Manager click on Save and it will generate nfo files for all your content. If you want to also generate images, you will need to click on the Identify button on each show/movie and it will generate the image files (no need to hit save after).

• Like 1

Blusky

oups..mixed up the 2

Saitoh183, I went through each movie folder and saved it in the metadata editor and that also worked. Next time I will use the refresh button. Does this also work for tv shows since I tried the same procedure but it did not put the Nfo file into the folders?

Thanks saitoh183 and Luke

Edited by Blusky

Then on each root (ie: TV, Movies) in the metadata Manager click on Save and it will generate nfo files for all your content.

This is not correct. The refresh button will do that though.

saitoh183

For TV shows you need to identify them for it to create the tvshow.nfo and images

Blusky

If your MBS already set, simply modify your configuration to make sure XBMC nfo files are preferred and save metadata to media folder is selected. Then on each root (ie: TV, Movies) in the metadata Manager click on Save and it will generate nfo files for all your content. If you want to also generate images, you will need to click on the Identify button on each show/movie and it will generate the image files (no need to hit save after).

Thanks Saitoh183. I followed your instructions and these are my settings:

Under Metadata - Basics I have checked " download artwork and metadata from the internet,

Save artwork and metadata into media folders."

Image saving convention :

Compatible - Media Browser/XBMC/Plex

Services:

Customize for media type:

Movies

Meta Data readers:

Media Browser XML

XBMC Nfo

Metadata Savers:

Media Browser XML

XBMC Nfo

Metadata Downloaders:

The open movie database

The movie Db

Image Fetchers:

The movieDb

Fan art

Screen grabber

XBMC

Save image paths within Nfo files

Enable path substitutions

Copy extrafanart into extra thumbs

Advanced:

Enable automatic updates from FanArt.tv

Enable automatic updates from theMovieDb.org

Enable automatic updates from the TVDB.com

It used the metadata manager and went through each movie folder as you said and saved metadata and found the new .NFO files so that worked. Tried with the tv shows folder but that did not work?

Appreciate your help.

Edited by Blusky
  • Like 1

saitoh183

This is not correct. The refresh button will do that though.

oups..mixed up the 2

Blusky

For TV shows you need to identify them for it to create the tvshow.nfo and images

My tv shows folder is populated by MceBuddy , that process the tv show , cuts commercials and then renames it like this, shoes name S01E01 .mkv

What exactly do you mean by identify them?

Your help is greatly appreciated. I almost have all my metadata setup correctly .

saitoh183

in the metadata manager you need to click on the identify button

post-2649-0-35158400-1405737089_thumb.jpg

Blusky

in the metadata manager you need to click on the identify button

attachicon.gifnewmbs4.JPG

Ok, as an example I go into my tv shows folder in metadata editor,, select Cougar Town,I then select identify, then search, the editor then comes up with a thumbnail of the series . I do not see any changes in the metadata or an .nfo file. Is that correct?

I have noticed that a few shows do not show any thumbnail after selecting identify. Some shows end up with either a white symbol , yellow or red symbol in metadata manager next to the show name meaning that they are missing something.

Edited by Blusky

saitoh183

make sure you have nfo set as the first choice and not xml. did you have a look at the accepted naming conventions to make sure your in the clear?

Blusky

make sure you have nfo set as the first choice and not xml. did you have a look at the accepted naming conventions to make sure your in the clear?

Great idea saitoh183. Sorry it's taken me so long to look at this. The issue is I am trying to figure out is to see if I find a naming convention that will work both for MceBuddy and MB3.

This is what I came up with that will work with MB3, as an example:

TV shows/

/Seinfeld

/Season 1

S01E01 Seinfeld The Diner.mkv

This is how I would set it up in MceBuddy to create this in my tv shows folder

TvShows\%showname%\Season %season%\s%season%##e%episode%## - %showname% - %episodename%

I hope this will work. I will give it a try and post back. I realize I could just stop using MceBuddy and let MB3 rename folders but I do like cutting out all the commercials and reconverting it to 720p.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Blusky

• Solution
saitoh183

cant MCE buddy just switch Seinfield and S01E01 in your naming...that is the problematic portion

TvShows\%showname%\Season %season%\S%season%##E%episode%## - %showname% - %episodename% 

to

TvShows\%showname%\Season %season%\%showname% - S%season%##E%episode%## - %episodename%

that would fix your issue

to fix all your current content, you can use rename master...google it. It can help you rename everything in one bulk

• Like 1

Blusky

cant MCE buddy just switch Seinfield and S01E01 in your naming...that is the problematic portion

TvShows\%showname%\Season %season%\S%season%##E%episode%## - %showname% - %episodename%

to

TvShows\%showname%\Season %season%\%showname% - S%season%##E%episode%## - %episodename%

that would fix your issue

to fix all your current content, you can use rename master...google it. It can help you rename everything in one bulk

Wow, your good! I will make the switch and search for rename master. Did not even know a proggy like that exist . I was going to name them all manually. Would take a while.

I made the changes that you have said and for some reason I get this:

Title \ season 1\Title - s01e02 - subtitle

Don't understand why subtitle is still there . I deleted that in my original string?? I rechecked the string and subtitle is not there?

Appreciate your help.

Edited by Blusky

saitoh183

np...glad to help ...if all is good mark which post was the answer...helps members to know problem has been addressed. Also for Rename master there is a bit of a learning curve to getting it to do what you want but pm me if you need help with it since its not really a MB3 thing.

• Like 1

Blusky

np...glad to help ...if all is good mark which post was the answer...helps members to know problem has been addressed. Also for Rename master there is a bit of a learning curve to getting it to do what you want but pm me if you need help with it since its not really a MB3 thing.

Thanks for your help. I had one small issue with MceBuddy with reference to the subtitle in the string. I have edited the last post above . Unless subtitle means the name of the episode not language subtitle. Any way , it's set to record 2 Seinfeld episodes tonight and I will see how it handles it.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Blusky

saitoh183

Wow, your good! I will make the switch and search for rename master. Did not even know a proggy like that exist . I was going to name them all manually. Would take a while.

I made the changes that you have said and for some reason I get this:

Title \ season 1\Title - s01e02 - subtitle

Don't understand why subtitle is still there . I deleted that in my original string?? I rechecked the string and subtitle is not there?

Appreciate your help.

i dont know for the sub...sorry...i dont use mce buddy

Blusky

i dont know for the sub...sorry...i dont use mce buddy

No worries . I'll figure it out tomorrow after the conversion tonight.

Thanks for the solution .