FreeNAS Mount Points

ITGuy1024

ITGuy1024

Hey all,

Having some issues getting the mount points working for FreeNAS Emby plugin.

Source: /mnt/PoolA/DataA/Media/Movies

Destination: /mnt/PoolA/iocage/jails/Emby/root/mnt/movies

Trying to use either of those for the Emby library I get this message: The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again.

I have a user called emby with full control of /mnt/ but it doesn't seem like it's pushing down that way.

TIA

emby permissions.JPG

Edited by ITGuy1024

adrianwi

In emby when you create the library, are you using /mnt/movies as the path?

ITGuy1024
3 hours ago, adrianwi said:

In emby when you create the library, are you using /mnt/movies as the path?

I was trying to use these

/mnt/PoolA/DataA/Media/Movies

/mnt/PoolA/iocage/jails/Emby/root/mnt/movies

I forgot to mention that in the Emby GUI when I try to browse (where it starts with \) I can browse to mnt but nothing displays in there.

/mnt/movies does the same thing

Edited by ITGuy1024

ITGuy1024

This appears to be a permission issue / bug.

In the Storage pool I went into the ACL permissions and selected "Apply permissions recursively".

It should do this automatically.

After I checked that the mount worked. 

Edited by ITGuy1024

MRobi

@Luke You should sticky the thread with the guide for how to set permissions on FreeNAS 11.3+, it would help on a lot of these issues.

@ITGuy1024 Just for future troubleshooting reference, in your screenshot you posted you can see the files permissions. rwx------ means the file owner has read, write, execute permissions, but group or other have none. If you opened all permissions and you rerun that command you'll probably now see something like rwxrwxrwx  

• 2 months later...
Hannes_GER
On 7/31/2020 at 4:45 PM, ITGuy1024 said:

This appears to be a permission issue / bug.

In the Storage pool I went into the ACL permissions and selected "Apply permissions recursively".

It should do this automatically.

After I checked that the mount worked. 

can you please share your ACL by depences (e.g. local FreeNAS Account and internal user in a Jail) ? ìn my case emby 4.5.0 is installed and i also see no file inside emby :( all emty.

Thx forward
Hannes

1 hour ago, Hannes_GER said:

can you please share your ACL by depences (e.g. local FreeNAS Account and internal user in a Jail) ? ìn my case emby 4.5.0 is installed and i also see no file inside emby :( all emty.

Thx forward
Hannes

Check here for the guide on setting up ACL permissions for Emby in FreeNAS

• 2 weeks later...
avalon65

I am running freeNAS 11.2_U8 and having a problem getting emby to see my  media files.

I guessed it was something to do with permissions, so I found a post on the FreeNAS forum to run:

setfacl -m u:989:modify_set:fd:allow /mnt/Pool_1/Media
winacl -a clone -rv -p /mnt/Pool_1/Media

Changing the path to suit mine.

After running the 1st cmd line, it completed without errors

After running the 2nd line that cloned all my music files without error.

When I try to add a folder for the music files in emby, all I see is /mnt, so I complete the full path but emby cannot find it

When I run ls -l /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music, all my music files are listed:

eg:

drwxrwx---+  2 emby  emby 2 May 25 2019 music cd

The strange thing is that I have the emby server on my linux desktop, and emby could see the path when I entered it in the folder section

What have I not done

Edited by avalon65

13 minutes ago, avalon65 said:

Are you asking those 2 people ?

Yes I'm pulling them in, in case they might know the answer.

avalon65

Ok, I have solved this problem now, but I had to think about it, and found it by trial and error

When I go to add the music folder, it is just the media folder of the emby jail I select and nothing else, like this: /media.

Then all the music files are added.

On 22/10/2020 at 19:12, avalon65 said:

Ok, I have solved this problem now, but I had to think about it, and found it by trial and error

When I go to add the music folder, it is just the media folder of the emby jail I select and nothing else, like this: /media.

Then all the music files are added.

Typically when you do your mount points, you'll mount a music folder, tv folder, movies folder, etc.. I typically mount movies to /media/movies, music to /media/music, etc... 

Once you've got your mount points set properly, here's the easy version of the ACL instructions. Sorry, just realizing you're still on 11.2. I suggest upgrading for simplicity sakes, as this will not work on 11.2

Edited by MRobi

avalon65

Thanks but due to some unknown error I got when I previously tried 11.3, I reverted back. I may try again later, but as I have the emby plugin working fine and showing my media, I may not.

Hello all

I have 1 freenas servers one called freenas and the other freenas2. ok Very original 

due to a sever thunderstorm i ended up rebuilding the bootable usb for freenas. Freenas2 was ok because it was powered down. so i needed to power freenas2 up and repoint kodi to it and i was cooking with gas.

I had to rebuild the bootable USB for freenas server and i rebuilt freenas as well. I loaded the pool and the existing datasets mounted  all my SMB shares. all my win 10 and win7 pc  had all access to the data in all the datasets. all is fine

now i set up the emby jail. I added the mountpoints which are music movies and TV Shows. I login to the emby server and i add sequentially movies, music and TV Shows all 3 libraries are created. Now  emby server scans the libraries. 

The movies and music get populated no issues.

how ever the TV Shows does not. so i think it is a acl issue.  I checked the ACL for the TV Shows dataset and the permissions are all the same (i did set up emby as a freenas user with full access)

n any case the owner of all the datasets is me wbravin  

so I checked on the freenas2 server and compared the entries on both servers. the are identical, yet the TV Shows library does not populate on freenas.

What am i missing?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and responding

regards wbravin

2 hours ago, wbravin said:

Hello all

I have 1 freenas servers one called freenas and the other freenas2. ok Very original 

due to a sever thunderstorm i ended up rebuilding the bootable usb for freenas. Freenas2 was ok because it was powered down. so i needed to power freenas2 up and repoint kodi to it and i was cooking with gas.

I had to rebuild the bootable USB for freenas server and i rebuilt freenas as well. I loaded the pool and the existing datasets mounted  all my SMB shares. all my win 10 and win7 pc  had all access to the data in all the datasets. all is fine

now i set up the emby jail. I added the mountpoints which are music movies and TV Shows. I login to the emby server and i add sequentially movies, music and TV Shows all 3 libraries are created. Now  emby server scans the libraries. 

The movies and music get populated no issues.

how ever the TV Shows does not. so i think it is a acl issue.  I checked the ACL for the TV Shows dataset and the permissions are all the same (i did set up emby as a freenas user with full access)

n any case the owner of all the datasets is me wbravin  

so I checked on the freenas2 server and compared the entries on both servers. the are identical, yet the TV Shows library does not populate on freenas.

What am i missing?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and responding

regards wbravin

@MRobi and @Duffyx may have some tips on this. Thanks.

5 hours ago, wbravin said:

What am i missing?

The first thing you're missing is a mirror of your boot usb. USB drives are cheap and prone to failure. You can have multiple USB's plugged into FreeNAS and mirror your boot drive onto them so if one fails it reverts to the next in line. So when this happens again, for $8-10 you save yourself all of this hassle.

Now for your actual issue, assuming your pool is good and data is in tact, and assuming you mounted the data correctly to the jail... it's likely permissions related. My guess, the "Apply permissions recursively" check box might have been missed when saving the ACL entry. If this box was missed, then Emby would see the main TV Series folder, but wouldn't have access to anything in it. I'd start by re-doing your ACL entry and ensure this is checked off.

5 hours ago, Luke said:

@MRobi and @Duffyx may have some tips on this. Thanks.

Hello all

Thank you all and especially  MRobi for your quick responses to this post

The  ACLs are correct and permissions for wbravin, emby and everyone@ are all set to basic and full control. I did however rebuilt the ACL correctly but still no joy.;

Because of all the trials and tribulations i had to go through this past week, i decided to check in windows network neighborhood the tv shows dataset and it's security status by right clicking on the dataset icon and the go to security. I found that only wbravin, emby and wheel had security settings. this should have worked regardless because wbravin is the owner of the dataset.

it did not have user everyone@. I added user everyone and granted it full permissions.......Guess what  .......it worked. Strange but it worked 

Now i need to find out why this is happened

once again thank you all

Regards

18 hours ago, wbravin said:

Hello all

Thank you all and especially  MRobi for your quick responses to this post

The  ACLs are correct and permissions for wbravin, emby and everyone@ are all set to basic and full control. I did however rebuilt the ACL correctly but still no joy.;

Because of all the trials and tribulations i had to go through this past week, i decided to check in windows network neighborhood the tv shows dataset and it's security status by right clicking on the dataset icon and the go to security. I found that only wbravin, emby and wheel had security settings. this should have worked regardless because wbravin is the owner of the dataset.

it did not have user everyone@. I added user everyone and granted it full permissions.......Guess what  .......it worked. Strange but it worked 

Now i need to find out why this is happened

once again thank you all

Regards

Glad it works, but that is indeed odd. With the emby user set to have full control in the ACL it should just work. 

My only thought is that emby could be running as a different user, but you'd certainly know if you changed the default user for emby so I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Ultimately I don't have the answer of why it happened, but I'm happy it worked out :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hello all

I had a massive issue with my internet provider last tuesday . They tried to blame my moden (which was not the case and they sussgested to me to re install theirs. I quickly identified that thy were full of S..... and proceeded to reintall my own modem (asus rt ac87u). Connectivity restored . 

I must have done something stupid. For whatever reson, all my jails on truenas did not work. So i proceeded to remove them all with an iocage clean -a command and it worked.

I reinstalled all my jails including Emby.

In my emby jai I mounted my movies my music and my tv shows. They all have the same ACL and the4 all have been mounted as (for movies) as     /mnt/media/iocage/jails/emby/root/media/moviesFreeNAS - jail mountpoints.pdfIn emby i added the libraries as /media/movies Did the same thing with music and tv shows. 

Fine I go to add the libraries in embt and as i finish the library syncs. All except movies As mentioned in pry prior post nothis is changed from that time.

I have been fixing this since last tuesday

What did i do incorrectly this time.   

Sorry for the repeat issue but nothis above worked this time