Emby low bitrate, stuttering, since update, Roku Express

M_xk8
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hi all

I currently run a server for friends and family, i have 34Mbps upload speed and i limited the server to a Max of 4Mbps... max number of users at once is around 4-5 people... 

Its very apprarent that anyone using a fire tv stick, smart tv are reaching 4Mbps and have zero stuttering issues, they can even reach 6Mbps if i change it...

I have 2 people using a Roku Express... since the update to Roku 4.0, i have nothing but complaints... stuttering and low quality... when i watch their stream, it reaches a max of 3Mbps but can vary down to 700Kbps.... you can see from the orange transcode bar it constantly stops and starts too... the server is defo has enough power... as every one else is fine... AMD 2600x and quadro p2000...

Why am i getting so much issues on the Roku sticks but everything else is fine??

Thanks

• Solution

Hi.  Did your Roku device also upgrade to 9.3 at about the same time?

If you have transcode throttling turned on at the server, please try turning it off.

Thanks.

Hi there,

yes i believe the Roku sticks will be fully up todate with regard to firmware...

I have transcode throttle on, don't really want to remove it for a long time, as it uses a lot of resources ... i can try though as an experiment.

Is this an Emby bug or a Roku Bug?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, M_xk8 said:

I have transcode throttle on, don't really want to remove it for a long time, as it uses a lot of resources ... i can try though as an experiment.

Is this an Emby bug or a Roku Bug?

It is a Roku bug. The transcoding throttling works on every other platform with exception of the Roku. This is why unfortunately you must disable it. Roku now thinks when the transcode throttle pauses transcoding that the end of the media is at that point. Then our fallback recovery knows it isn't and we try to recover playback. The Roku closes the video player and again we try to respawn it. After so many attempts at recovery we have exhausted our retry limit and we give up.

It is definitely a Roku bug.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Issues-with-MPEG2-after-9-3-Update-on-Roku-TV/m-p/582234

This is one of the various threads about the issue. It does not affect just Emby. It affects all Roku applications that stream using HLS.

We will continue to try to find ways to work around this until Roku has adjusted their firmware to change behaviors. Right now as it stands with throttling turned off you should have no issue. But I realize this is not a solution. It is a temporary band-aid until we can figure a way to work around their regression. They had this problem before in older firmware version early on when 9.0 first appeared. 

You can also post in the thread above to bump it to the top. See if Roku will officially respond but do not hold your breath. ;)

6 hours ago, M_xk8 said:

you can see from the orange transcode bar it constantly stops and starts too...

Orange? Have you mentioned this problem to the other guys. They can bang on Roku too and get them to fix this issue. We are all in the same boat just green and orange life vests.

Edited by speechles

see attached picture... my server shows an orange bar when transcoding. could be red though :)

Capture (2).PNG

Edited by M_xk8

The read ahead buffer. Now I gotcha. ^_~

Now that line will get very long and quite far ahead of the real time point on top. 

Dear Roku, Hi. How are you. Why so mean to throttle? Be nicer, Love Emby

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

by the way, just tested with 2 people using Roku express with Transcode throttle turned off and it works again..

Thanks for your help..