Server repeatedly crashing/stopping

sooty234

sooty234

Just recently, my server has been randomly going offline. The tray icon is present, but the server is non-operational. It just happened again, so I'm attaching the server log from the time it 'crashed'. embyserver-63731640222.txt

Looks like you have some nested folders being scanned but both are offline and throwing errors.

\\Htpc\d\Music test

\\Htpc\d\Music test\SACD Music

I see Executing Disk Space Almost Full Notification so might want to check on that.

Besides those I don't see anything else worth mentioned.

If this is crashing and Emby is stopped you should have an entry in EVENT VIEWER.

Can you check that and see if there is anything there.  If so upload what the event shows (detail tabs as well).

Thanks

sooty234

All minor issues, and resolved. Something like that should in no way cause the server to break its function. If so, the server needs hardening.

Yea, that what I said, I didn't see any problems just letting you know about the errors that were in the log.

Did you check Event Viewer?  There will always be something logged there if Emby crashes.

Happy2Play
22 minutes ago, cayars said:

I see Executing Disk Space Almost Full Notification so might want to check on that.

That is just the plugin running its interval task

2020-07-29 08:54:57.496 Debug TaskManager: Queueing task DiskSpaceScheduledTask
2020-07-29 08:54:57.496 Debug TaskManager: Executing Disk Space Almost Full Notification
2020-07-29 08:54:57.498 Debug TaskManager: Disk Space Almost Full Notification Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds

But nothing in Emby log to really show why the Emby crashed.

sooty234

I've reintroduced the full drive in question, fully reformatted with a new drive letter. I'll bet that plugin has something to do with this. I'll get rid of it. 

The only thing that's close to the time frame in the event viewer, is a .net error, and it was shut down. And it is related to the Emby Server (attached)

New Text Document (2).txt

@Luke Can you take a look at this and see if you have any ideas on the socket error.

There's nothing obvious here. I would try uninstalling these plugins:

2020-07-29 07:53:51.721 Info App: Loading CoverArt, Version=4.1.9.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\CoverArt.dll
2020-07-29 07:53:51.721 Info App: Loading DiskSpace, Version=1.0.4.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\DiskSpace.dll
2020-07-29 07:53:51.721 Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Plugins.Anime, Version=1.4.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\MediaBrowser.Plugins.Anime.dll
2020-07-29 07:53:51.721 Info App: Loading playback_reporting, Version=1.7.0.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\playback_reporting.dll
2020-07-29 07:53:51.721 Info App: Loading statistics, Version=2.0.14.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\Statistics.dll

Then restart the server and see how that compares.

sooty234

I just removed Diskspace, but playback reporting was just updated, so I'll remove that, and see what happens....

sooty234

Well, since removing those two plugins, the server has remained stable. If it stays running for the next few days, that should prove to be conclusive...

Did you ever check for any events in the event viewer when your server went off line?

I remember now as I did look at it. :)

Thanks

Edited by cayars

• 2 weeks later...
sooty234

Still crashing... now removing those plugins, completely. .NET even updated. This is a real problem....

6 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Still crashing... now removing those plugins, completely. .NET even updated. This is a real problem....

Can you please attach a new server log? thanks.

Sooty234,

Anything else of use in Event Viewer? Is the error always something like this:

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (10054): An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

sooty234
On 7/29/2020 at 6:57 PM, Luke said:

There's nothing obvious here. I would try uninstalling these plugins:

2020-07-29 07:53:51.721 Info App: Loading CoverArt, Version=4.1.9.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\CoverArt.dll
2020-07-29 07:53:51.721 Info App: Loading DiskSpace, Version=1.0.4.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\DiskSpace.dll
2020-07-29 07:53:51.721 Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Plugins.Anime, Version=1.4.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\MediaBrowser.Plugins.Anime.dll
2020-07-29 07:53:51.721 Info App: Loading playback_reporting, Version=1.7.0.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\playback_reporting.dll
2020-07-29 07:53:51.721 Info App: Loading statistics, Version=2.0.14.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\Statistics.dll

Then restart the server and see how that compares.

Well, since doing this:

700667387_Annotation2020-08-22132204.jpg.eb25f3bfc882cac9c6d4db889e4bafff.jpg

It hasn't crashed again. Previously, I had tried only removing Playback reporting and Statistics and left Coverart installed (I reinstalled them later, as the server continued to crash). So based on that, Coverart appears to be the offender.

sooty234

Yeah, but it's weird. Nothing had been changed with emby. So it must have been a Windows update, or something...

Ok the graphics library used by cover art has been updated to a new version for the next release of the server.