Best way to display short titles with movie posters for fitness videos?

Video Enthusiast

Video Enthusiast

I am really struggling and need some help. I am trying to set up a large collection of fitness videos in Emby (and Jellyfin and Plex for that matter) and struggling badly. Tvdb does not support fitness videos. Luckily moviedb does, one must  enter each workout as a "movie" and tag it is a "video." This works, it downloads a nice poster, but it also pulls down the long file name (e.g. A Little Obsessed - Day 5 Legs) - see Figure 1. Because the rules at moviedb are that each "movie" must contain the series name first, and the workout name second, titles are very long, and they get cut off- so each video is labelled "the same" (see FIgure 2). On the other hand, if I embed the shortened title (eg. Day 5 Legs) in the metadata of the .mp4 and then in Emby select "prefer local metadata" and NO fetchers/agents, I get what I want - nice readable titles - except I don't get the nice poster (only a random segment of the video as a still). Or I can start with that, but as soon as I choose "identify" (or match in Plex) it pulls down the poster and the long title - for the ones that I do that for (see Figure 3). How can I fix this? I have too many videos to update the record for each video in Emby- I am looking for a solution that will work across the board (in part because I am experimenting in Windows but my final server will be on my Nvidia shield- once my disk drive/files/etc are all set up properly). Please help! Suggestions welcome! At one point I tried altering the title with .nfo files, but then it didn't stick- the system used the .nfo file to identify the video, and then pulled down the full poster and long title, and overwrote the .nfo file! (Arrghghg).

plex_autumn_correct_images_but_short_title_gone.JPG

What_I_want_without_posters.JPG

shows_it_all.JPG

Edited by Video Enthusiast
My question posted before I was finished creating it.

pwhodges

Edit the title in the metadata and then lock it. 

If you are only viewing in a browser, you can also find and install the CSS (in the CSS subforum!) to allow titles to display in full over several lines - but that doesn't help in other apps.

OK, I was going to find a link for that, but it was easier to copy the CSS out of my server.  You put it in the custom CSS box on the server settings page in the dashboard:

/*---- wrap card text - long movie names etc ----*/
div.cardText {white-space: pre-wrap;}

Paul

I'd not add them as movies but instead as TV SHOWS or Home media.

Video Enthusiast

Hi pwhodges - Yes my .mp4's have the short title in the metadata already - that's how I got the short titles to display in the pictures above. When you say lock it - are you saying lock the metadata inside the .mp4 (is that possible)? You don't mean lock the title in the description in emby? I will try that css trick, thanks!

cayars - I haven't tried home media but it works great as tv shows - no issues. Except the issue that moviedb may delete fitness programs entered as tv shows at any time. What if I set them up as tv shows by entering them in moviedb, and then turning on NFO files to load everything down. I think then even if those entries get deleted at moviedb I'd be OK because everything is set up, correct?

thanks guys!

pwhodges
3 hours ago, Video Enthusiast said:

When you say lock it - are you saying lock the metadata inside the .mp4 (is that possible)? You don't mean lock the title in the description in emby?

The lock is not in the video file, but in Emby.  On the Emby screen where you can edit the metadata for a specific item, scroll down to the bottom, and you find a list of which fields are enabled for updates - you can disable future updating there.

Paul

Video Enthusiast

So I really do not want to get into editing the metadata in emby for each entry- I have so many videos to do- and I want to make it so that I can fresh install Emby, Jellyfin etc and quickly have my library up& running on my Nvidia (right now using Windows version to get things ready on the filesystem-I have an external USB that I'll be moving to the Nvidia shield when all is said and done).

Guys- what about this idea? Install the Emby XML Metadata plugin and have a little xml file named identical to each video and the xml would just contain the shortened title. Would that work? I was reading up on this, and it looks like XML files are read-only - whereas NFO ones could be updated and overwritten at any time. The added bonus is that I would not need to convert my files to .mp4 format just so I can then embed the meta-data (at least Plex needed that, and it works for Emby). I wonder -does Emby read the meta-data from the title field for .mkv files (Plex only does this for .mp4)?

In any case if I could use the xml solution it would not matter what format my files are in - they could be  .mkv, .mp4 or  .ts - saving me a lot of time! 

Edited by Video Enthusiast

Install the Emby XML Metadata plugin and have a little xml file named identical to each video and the xml would just contain the shortened title. Would that work?

I would just use our native nfo support rather than the legacy xml support.

Video Enthusiast

Hey pwhodges, I found the place to enter that CSS code, it was so easy, I thought I'd have to actually go editing the code. It worked! It looks a little clunky, however to have this with not having to touch or mess with ANYTHING else (e.g. NFO files) - is nice! 

image.png.c78415518ddcffd14a730390ec40f44d.png

Video Enthusiast

Luke - if

I think I tried this already, in Jellyfin, and it did not work.  I made some .nfo files where I put in the proper title. But somehow once it matched that to moviedb and pulled down the poster it pulled down all sorts of additional metadata, and OVERWROTE my nice little compact .nfo file, also making the title the long title- defeating the purpose. Could I make the .nfo file non-writeable to solve this isssue?

It would be better to just disable internet metadata using the settings for the library. Why not do that?

pwhodges

If you disable metadata for a library, does manually selecting "refresh metadata" for an item override that? (Obviously explicitly locked fields in that item's metadata would not be touched.)

Paul

1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

If you disable metadata for a library, does manually selecting "refresh metadata" for an item override that? (Obviously explicitly locked fields in that item's metadata would not be touched.)

Paul

No, it uses your library settings.

Video Enthusiast

Hey guys, I apologize - I am still quite confused here.  I don't want to disable getting my metadata for the internet because I am relying on moviedb (even updating it) to get all the right information - pics, actors, nice screenshots. I do like the suggestion above to display the full title on 3 lines - that is working good. Except I am still trying to see if I can get Emby to show shortened titles. 

Maybe I am wrong, and maybe I need to use NFO - pull everything down, then edit the nfo to contain a shortened title, and then prevent further updates by making the .nfo file read-only at the OS level. But it still seem simple to use the XML method. So I found and installed the Emby XML metadata plugin and installed it. There is nothing to configure. Ok next I made my XMl files with ONLY the updated title (see screenshot). Then I hit refresh. But I still see only the long titles.
image.png.0557a2856a6e77be35133ba779e3c6d6.png

Xml is just an alternative to nfo and it is legacy now so i wouldn't suggest using it.

I would suggest using the emby metadata editor to make your changes.

pwhodges
38 minutes ago, Video Enthusiast said:

I don't want to disable getting my metadata for the internet because I am relying on moviedb (even updating it) to get all the right information - pics, actors, nice screenshots.

When you do that, it will of course fill in its version of the title.  However, you can then edit the title/name and disable further updating of that field for that item without disabling metadata fetching in general.

meta.jpg.4108bc0e2a523c3850a74f884efc019f.jpg

Paul

Video Enthusiast

Oh I see. That is a pretty clean solution! I tried it for Day 2 Booty. This way I can pull everything EXCEPT what I want locked. 

Sorry to keep prolonging this thread - one last question... I guess there is no way to prevent having to edit the title and lock the field for each workout video, correct? In my dream world I would have absolutely everything set up once in the filesystem itself, and then I could uninstall / re-install Emby anywhere, anytime, eg to move it from my media server to the Shield!
However - I think to do that I could turn on nfo, pull down everything, then do my edits in the nfo files, and then never (or rarely) refresh from the internet and/or force the .nfo files to be read only. I'll have to just pick my poison, decide, and do it. In the meantime just turning on having the titles show over several lines is working great, thank again guys!

image.thumb.png.4cf84d25ae8b6626a768aa72a0c1168b.png

Video Enthusiast

Update: I've enabled NFO and I like how I can change the name in the NFO file and then it "updates" the data in the Emby internal database (it seems). That's nice, this way I can set up my disk/filesystem in Windows and then when I change to the Nvidia SHield as my Emby server I can do a fresh install and it should "ingest" those shortened names.

I did have what I think is a feature request to make this a lot easier. That option called "Prefer embedded local metadata when internet not available " should have another checkbox underneath it called " "Prefer embedded local metadata even when internet is available" - that way the shortened file names embedded in my files would over-ride whatever is being pulled from the moviedb (or other database). Would this be difficult? Or, really, you should just have one button "Prefer embedded local metadata" (regardless of internet is available or not). 

So while I have selected Emby for a while I'm still comparing it to Plex and Jellyfin, and I know Plex's new "Agent" scanner in Media Server v1.20 has an option like this coming out (its in beta-waiting for the public release).

"Prefer embedded local metadata even when internet is available" - that way the shortened file names embedded in my files would over-ride whatever is being pulled from the moviedb (or other database). Would this be difficult? Or, really, you should just have one button "Prefer embedded local metadata" (regardless of internet is available or not). 

We already do this. Internet metadata is used to supplement the provided nfo metadata.