Question deleted re metadata changes lost

ramseyn

ramseyn

Here's an interesting thing. If I take one of the tracks with incorrect information, change the metadata to correctly identify the artist and add the MusicBrainz artist ID as well, it reverts to the wrong info as soon as I save.

BUT, if I do the same again and tick the "Lock this item..." box, the correct information is displayed when I save, and is now listed correctly in the song list for the album. 

If I do that for the top-level Album metadata, that is NOT saved and still shows the incorrect artist. Repeating that a second time DOES result in the correct artist for the album. The plot thickens. Looks like Emby is going off somewhere and getting incorrect info to repopulate the metadata if I do not lock it.

ramseyn

Long remote session with cayars yesterday. He identified that a lot of my issues would be due to having music files directly in an Artist folder, whereas Emby expects them in an Album folder within the Artist folder. 

Also, I had a structure that separated CD owners under the music folder, then for each owner, the list of artist folders with their album folders.

I have reorganised to put all the artist folders directly under the music library top level folder. I have also created album folders under every artist that had music files directly under the artist and deleted the album.nfo files in the artist folders.

Things are looking much better but there are still many instances of incorrect information. A workaround (not a fix) for some of them is deleting the incorrect metadata for a file, adding correct Artist and Album Artist, inserting the MusicBrainz Artist ID and AlbumArtistID into the metadata and locking the metadata before saving. It makes the listings look right but is basically sticking plaster over some issue that is causing the artists to be reset incorrectly if I do not lock the metadata.

Even that doesn't work for all cases, and it does not work at Album level where I cannot enter artist IDs.

I am now thinking maybe I should delete ALL the album.nfo files. 

It's a shame one has to be so strict in structure for software to display correctly. I wpould prefer to use my own structure and have the software read the MP3 tags to get the necessary information to display the tracks and albums correctly. But there it is.

Improved but not quite there yet.

Many thanks to cayars for the long help session and expanations.

ramseyn

Interestingly, whereas Alan Parsons shows up all over the place in my Emby library, on all sorts of albums Alan had nothing to do with, in Plex Alan Parsons only shows up once, on the Alan Parsons album I have in the library. Looks like Plex is handling things properly and is not confused by whatever confuses Emby.

Does a library rescan clear all redundant information? Is there a way to delete the library database completely and build a new one from scratch

If you've reorganized and are still seeing an issue an issue I can TeamView back in and take another look.  If you've moved thing under the /music/artists/album structure by hand then you won't want your previous NFO files as they will bring over incorrect info.  Picard as setup wasn't moving the NFO files  Send me TeamViewer info if you want a hand.

ramseyn

I will probably be away from this for a couple of days for personal reasons but will come back if I haven't fixed it. I did delete all .nfo files and rescan library and refresh metadata. 

Still lots of Alan Parsons Artists on lots of non-Alan Parsons albums, whereas Plex shows only the one and the single album.

• Like 1

ramseyn

I haven't been able to get back to look at this again for a few days. I will look at the library this weekend and see if it has sorted itself out with the automatic scans over the last few days.