Question deleted re metadata changes lost

ramseyn

ramseyn

I posted a question yesterday and it seems to have been deleted with no explanation - not even closed with a comment.

I shall try again as I am evaluating Emby as an alternative to Plex.

A lot of songs and albums in my Music library have been picked up as "rtist" rather than the artist name, and many more are showing as "Alan Parsons Project" which occurs nowhere in the ID tags for the files.

An example is an Ian Matthews album which shows both these issues. When I look at Albums view in the music library the album is there and also if I use Artist view. But the album itself displays as both of the above.

If I change the metadata to the correct Album Artist and Artist, these changes  are lost as soon as I save. If I go back into the metadata, they have reverted to "rtist" and "Alan PArsons Project"!

Interestingly if I go to Metadata Manager from the menu, Ian Matthews doesn't even appear in the folder list! (My folders are organised by artist.) And if I choose Folders rather than Artist or Album, from the Music Library display page, the folder doesn't exist there either. And yet physically that folder exists and is where the tracks are. And the album shows up in Artist or Album views.

What is going on? This is a showstopper for me and drives me towards Plex if I cannot resolve it which is a shame because in general I prefer Emby. But it is no use to me if albums are missing or are shown under incorrect artist names.

If this post is going to be deleted also, please at least inform me.

@cayars @ginjaninja

Hi @ramseyn, I don't recall us deleting any of your posts and i don't see it in your activity history. I apologize for the confusion.

When I've seen something like this it's usually one of two things.

One: Folder and file naming not following our music naming as shown here

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159113-music-naming

Two: Not properly tagging your music media before adding it to Emby.

Can you confirm for us you've tagged your music properly and are using a folder structure like that in the knowledge base?

ginjaninja
On 7/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, ramseyn said:

A lot of songs and albums in my Music library have been picked up as "rtist" rather than the artist name, and many more are showing as "Alan Parsons Project" which occurs nowhere in the ID tags for the files.

often spurious results are due to tagging information in the files (multiple tag versions) which are not easy to spot in some tagging software. I use mp3tag to ensure all versions of all tags are stripped on save and only id3v2.3UTF16 is written. To 100% confirm the spurious data is in the tags you can use (on Windows at least, from command line,  something like) "ffprobe.exe trackname.mp3". (ffprobe is stored in emby system folder)

Edited by ginjaninja

ramseyn

I'll take a look at these suggestions, thank you very much.

I have already checked all tags, which were originally created and edited in MP3Tag, but will recheck the versions being saved. I shouldn't really need to delete versions of tags as long as the information in the tags is consistent across the versions surely?

For the moment, I have found that Plex recognises all the metadata properly, so that is an option if I can't resolve this.

ramseyn

Have checked suggested folder structure and, being logical, it matches exactly what I already use so all my files are compliant with this structure.

ramseyn

Tags are all saying ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3) in MP3Tag.

The interface has changed a lot since a created many of these tags so now looking for an option to delete the ID3v1 if it actually exists. May have to change to another tagger for that...

ramseyn

Well, I removed all ID3V1 tags from the album I mentioned (Ian Matthews). Rescanned library for the album and the listing in Emby is still faulty. Attached is a screenshot. Note the bottom two tracks show "rtist" and the album info at the top shows The Alan Parsons Project/Ian Matthews. The Alan Parsons Project does not appear anywhere in any versions of the tags in any of the files

Emby Ian Matthews listing.JPG, only in the emby metadata (and cannot be deleted from the metadata as it immediately reappears).

Edited by ramseyn
added explanation

ramseyn

Maybe I need to delete the database altogether and build it from scratch. Is this possible? (If so, where is the database stored on a NAS implementation?)

ramseyn

For information, the part of the problem where that folder (\\NIMBUSTOR4\Plex\Library\my music\NR\Ian Matthews) doesn't even show up in MetaData manager still. The songs show in the Emby song list, the album shows in the emby album list, the folder exists (I have just deleted all the ID3v1 tags!) but metadata manager doesn't even see it.

Suggests this may be why I can't save the metadata changes even though I can supposedly edit the metadata from the song view in Emby?

Have you tried looking at the metadata using ffprobe to see what tags are being reported?

ramseyn
On 8/6/2020 at 11:02 AM, ginjaninja said:

To 100% confirm the spurious data is in the tags you can use (on Windows at least, from command line,  something like) "ffprobe.exe trackname.mp3". (ffprobe is stored in emby system folder)

This is emby on a NAS. I cannot find the ffprobe tool. The dashboard says emby is installed at home/emby but the Home folder is empty in the NAS file system.

I have been adding he complete Shakespeare plays to Emby and I took a look this morning to see how it was showing. As an example, "As you like it" was showing a Japanese anime imge and description and call the file something completely nonsensical. The metadata IDs for IMDB, TVDB and MovieDB were all wrong.

Perhaps this is the source of the problem, thought I. So I deleted them all and put in the TVDB ID, refreshed the metadata - no change.

I tried adding the IMDB ID and refreshing and As You Like It disappeared completely from the TV list (all the other plays remained).

Something is not working - I shall check to see what Plex does with these plays.

These plays are audio only or audio and video?  These are being added to a music library correct?

Can you show us the folder structure for them?

ramseyn

As I say  they are ripped from DVD and are in TV pr8ogrammes - hence they are audio and video.

I have rejigged season 1 to the required structure and relocated out of the plex folder. They a show up but most are not picking up images from imdb or tvdb and those that do are not correct due to incorrect IDS. If I correct the Database IDs the images do not update.

ramseyn

I seem to be fixed having done a load of renaming.

I renamed all the files according to TVDB and separated into Seasons.

So for example Media Library->TV->Drama->BBC Television Shakespeare->Season 1 which contains 

"BBC Television Shakespeare - S01E01 - Romeo and Juliet"

"BBC Television Shakespeare - S01E02 - Richard II" etc.

This is sort of fine but it is incredibly long-winded. I shall  continue to check and rename thisgs.

For TV Shows must I always use the Title as shown in TVDB? What if it differs from IMDB or other databases referenced by the server?

ramseyn

None of this has done anything for the music problem. I still have files that purport to be Alan Parsons when they are actually someone completely different and have no reference to Alan Parsons in any tags or file names.

Also, there are still folders that show in the folders view but the folder doesn't exist in the MetaData Manager view.

Hello @ramseyn, Any chance we could do a TeamViewer session so you could go over your issues with us one on one to see if we can be of assistance?

Thanks,

Carlo

Absolutely,  send me a PM and we can arrange a time and go over installing TeamViewer.

ginjaninja
On 8/7/2020 at 11:19 AM, ramseyn said:

Tags are all saying ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3) in MP3Tag.

The interface has changed a lot since a created many of these tags so now looking for an option to delete the ID3v1 if it actually exists. May have to change to another tagger for that...

that does look like multiple tag versions, would be my best guess as to the original source of issue, but not sure why a tag clean and rescan doesnt resolve, no  doubt remote session will shed some light.