Conversion Induced UI Malfunction?

Netfool
Go to solution Solved by Netfool,

• Solution
Netfool

@cayars

Found this on the Shield Pro User Guide web page in "How to Increase Your Storage":

When you format a USB drive as internal storage, it effectively replaces your current internal storage.  You will no longer be able to use storage space on your existing internal storage for installing large game files.  Make sure the new storage space is larger than your current internal storage (16GB).

So the answer apparently is: /storage/emulated/0 is now the USB drive.    If you click around enough in X-plore you can confirm that.   That makes it a bit of a mystery as to what's in the 2.4GB that the Shield says is in the "Internal Storage".... non-movable system stuff probably.

The bad news is that the failed conversion that started this thread was likely using the 128 GB USB drive and still caused a critical memory failure after crunching for more than 18 hours.     ...unless the conversion and transcode temp directories are part of the system stuff that stays behind when you add flash.   I'll have to test for that.

DizzyEmoji.png.8ce18bb685649153dc576b2428c6b316.png

I'll try setting the conversion and transcode paths to the network media store drive and see what happens.  I'll report back.

UPDATE:  For anyone reading this after the fact...    The failed conversion was not using the 128GB USB drive.  If the Transcode and Conversion paths are left blank, the Shield continues to use system space in the original 16GB of internal flash.  Setting the path to /storage/emulated/0/conversion or .../transcode will use space in the expansion USB.  But if you're using a NAS or some other networked media store, you can put the temp directories there as well.  Given that conversion temp files can be 10s of GB that's probably a better idea.

Edited by Netfool
Update

You likely know this but just in case.

Click the conversions menu in the web dashboard. Click Settings up top.

There is a temp conversion path there.  I think this is what you were referring to but wanted to make sure.

Netfool
3 hours ago, cayars said:

You likely know this but just in case.

Click the conversions menu in the web dashboard. Click Settings up top.

There is a temp conversion path there.  I think this is what you were referring to but wanted to make sure.

Thanks, I do know.  At this point I think I've spent more time looking at the dashboard than watching content.  Hoping to change that once I get my head around what's going on inside the box.    Thanks for pointing me at the X-plore app.  It's what helped me begin to understand.  I wish there were a web version of that.

One question though.  On the web dashboard conversions settings menu, just below the textbox to set the path to the working folder, there is a field called "Upload speed limit (Mpbs):".

1936729963_ScreenShot2020-07-30at12_05_52PM.png.3fd644d1eb1242840a31529985ef274f.png

Upload what?  ...to where?

Depending on how you call the convert function it can be used to "sync" with mobiles, Google Drive, Infuse, Drop Box, etc so if using anything like this the bitrate you set there will come into play.  This way you can sync data to other places but not kill your upload bandwidth.

Netfool

Got it.   That's why conversions are referred to as downloads.   Interesting that cancelling a conversion leaves a "download" in the Conversions folder.  (A partially converted file probably).

13 minutes ago, cayars said:

Depending on how you call the convert function it can be used to "sync" with mobiles, Google Drive, Infuse, Drop Box, etc

Is there a tutorial on how to sync to Dropbox from the Shield?

No only for Google Drive because it's so COMPLEX to get working.

Dropbox should be pretty obvious.

Netfool

@cayars

But how do I point the Shield at a DropBox account?   The dropdown menu only knows about my iPhoneX and the instance of emby server on the media store.

I've added my DropBox account to the shield via X-plore, and I can see DropBox folders in X-plore, but Emby Server doesn't see them.

Edited by Netfool
Updated Information

You don't point the Shield TV.  You setup the Dropbox plugin inside Emby Server and Emby handles the communication.

Netfool
1 minute ago, cayars said:

You don't point the Shield TV.  You setup the Dropbox plugin inside Emby Server and Emby handles the communication.

DOH!!  206547635_ScreenShot2020-07-23at12_42_33PM.png.8e13db474c46ef9a2e587cc9dc36064f.png I keep forgetting to look for plugins.

Thanks for the patience!

No problem Netfool, just living up to you handle.  LOL. 

BTW, that's one of the best face slap uses I've seen in a while. :)