Synology Server, Direct Paths & Kodi...

smernt

smernt

Hey, so I host my Emby server on a Synology DS218+, which is also where all the media file are located. I'm using Nvidia Shields as the clients/players.

I set up the libraries in Emby like the following:

Folder: 

/volume2/Movies

Shared Network Folder: 

\\192.168.1.4\Movies

I have confirmed that I can access this via windows explorer:

\\192.168.1.4\Movies

And I've also check the metadata Manager and can see that it's saying files are located at (for example): 

\\192.168.1.4\Movies\(500) Days of Summer (2009)\(500) Days of Summer (2009).mkv

However, when I try to set up direct paths in Kodi through Emby for Kodi I get an error saying:

Kodi can't locate file: smb://192.168.1.4/Movies/(500) Days of Summer (2009)/(500) Days of Summer (2009).mkv. Use the Emby path substitution to format your path correctly or ensure your path is added to Kodi's file manager...

Does anyone know what the issue might be?

Cheers!

Edited by smernt

altairr

Try adding the smb share in Kodi File Manager as stated in the error message. I had the exact same problem and adding it to the file manager fixed it for me.

smernt
14 minutes ago, altairr said:

Try adding the smb share in Kodi File Manager as stated in the error message. I had the exact same problem and adding it to the file manager fixed it for me.

You know what, I have tried that SO many times & it didn't work. I've just done it again and it finally does! It might be because before I tried with the servername instead of IP (using the servername on both the emby library and kodi), but that didn't seem to work. I also tried to do what others recommended which was setting the main library folder as the network folder rather than using the optional shared network folder input, but that always threw out an error (likely because Emby couldn't see it as a network path since it's on the same device as the files themselves.

I also saw others say that you shouldn't have to add the server source to kodi like that too, so I guess it just all confused me.

Either way, thank you! Also, will this 'direct paths' setup also work for people connected to my server remotely? I assumed it wouldn't since the direct path is using a local IP, or does Emby sort all that out for us?

Cheers!

Edited by smernt